Re: Fern Compost

  • Steve Woodward
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      Thanks Howard

      I thought it was a matter of getting the right ballance for the
      majority of species

      I have tried multi purpose but the brand I was using has
      deteriorated, someone else suggested B&Qs multipurpose is very good,
      I have tried it along with Miracle Gro mulipurpose and both of these
      seem good, and I tried a peat and sharp sand mix with a little
      fertiliser but this either set like your John Innes or dried out
      very quick

      Steve

      --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Matthews"
      <howard_ferns@...> wrote:

      > Steve, I used to make up my own compost for sowing spores &
      potting up
      > sporelings, I would use about 50% garden loam with handfuls of
      peat,
      > leaf mould & composted bark chippings mixed in, plus a bit of
      sharp
      > sand for good measure. Generally though it used to go a bit
      stodgy.
      > Then someone suggested I use John Innes No 2, but this turned out
      > be a mistake on his part, for it was what he used for Equisetums.
      It
      > was a near disaster, the stuff set almost like cement. Next
      someone
      > said to use Homebase multipurpose compost, which I have found is
      light
      > and fluffy, & it certainly doesn't contain all the rubbish you
      said
      > Focus compost has in it. It does say on the bag not to be used
      with
      > lime hating plants, but to date this does not appear to have
      affected
      > spore germination. The only thing to watch out for is it does
      tend to
      > dry out rather drastically if you forget about it for too long.
      For
      <steve.woodward@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone make up their own compost? and if so to what recipe?
      > >
      > > I used to use focus multipurpose that has always been great
      until
      > this
      > > years new recipe, which contains less peat and in its place it
      has
      > > sawdust, shavings, twigs and all sorts of stuff presumably from
      > > recycling schemes
      > >
      > > Does anyone use a standard formula like 2 of sand to one of peat
      > plus
      > > nutrients or do you make your own up to each plants requirements?
      > >
      > > Steve

    • Leonard Winning
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        Dear Steve,

        I use Homebase general purpose compost with a small amount of sharp
        sand added (4 trowels of sand to ~ 10 litres of compost) and I've not
        had any problems with any of the species I've grown, despite their
        reputations for needing various soil conditions.

        I think if you want your sporling to do well, you need to pH match
        it's planting-out site, but it seems to me that most things do OK on a
        fairly neutral substrate to start with. I half-expect this comment to
        produce a flurry of disagreement, though :o)

        The Homebase stuff seems to retain moisture quite well. I have my
        current sporlings (2-6" fronds) on my patio (north-facing) under the
        protection of a wall on the west side. They get little direct sunlight
        but it's a light and open position and for the last month or so I've
        only needed to water once every few days, despite the hot weather that
        has made my lawn turn brown!

        Leonard.
      • Steve Woodward
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          Hi Leonard

          I bet the lawn will soon be looking less brown with a few more days
          like today! talk about from one extreme to another! but it is what
          makes the british weather great I suppose?

          Anyway thanks for the reply, it looks like homebase multipurpose is
          winning the recommendations so far, I'll give it a try next year,
          not had a great success with the spores this year (which I could put
          down to the compost) with the exeption of Lygodium scandens 'the
          japanese climbing fern' which has grown in a mass like weeds

          Steve

          --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard Winning"