Re: World of Ferns [ex Rickards]

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2011
      I wonder wherabouts in Ireland it might be? - 'tis a big place! If it's in a good area (not too very cold in Winter and wet enough in Summer) they should be able to grow all sorts of nice things and spread them around. Do they have an e-mail address?
      Martin used to have a plant of the Gymnocarpium x Cystopteris from the French Pyrenees, x Cystocarpium roskamianum, which still grows vigorously and spreads nicely at Leiden, if not at World of Ferns. Interestingly it has just been confirmed molecularly that it is indeed of this bigeneric origin.
      I was hoping to bring some Himalayan goodies with me this August, but now I just heard that money is delayed and I probably can't get back to the UK for another 6 months. Trapped in Nepal? - well I can think of a lot worse places to be!
      Was lucky enough to find lovely Woodsia glabella up at 4000 metres behind Annapurna a couple of weeks ago - and so far it is growing new leaves in a bowl out the back down at 1500 metres in Kathmandu, if our packs of snails don't get it.
      Cheers,
      Chris Fraser-Jenkins, Kathmandu.

      --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, Howard Matthews <howard.fernman@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the news, William. It will be interesting to see what Billy ends
      > up selling. The location in Ireland shouldn't make a lot of difference to
      > buyers, since Tregarth became "visitors by appointment only". I could
      > understand that because I used to "drop by" when I was in North Wales, but
      > the place was usually like the Marie Celeste. However, I don't like making
      > appointments because you then feel committed to spending something, and on
      > that note the prices had climbed to more than I felt prepared to pay for the
      > few new Dryopteris species I coveted.
      >
      > Howard.

    • Maurice Wilkins
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
        Hi Chris

        Billy's email address is billy.e.alexander@... and the nursery is in Dublin.

        Cheers

        Maurice Wilkins
        Scotland
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2011
          Dear Maurice,
          Sorry - the e-mail address did not come out in full on this forum - got the bit before the at, but not the bit after. Due to hyperlink recognition or some such. Could you just send the afterwards bit again - with no "at" symbol, then I should get it!
          Cheers,
          Chris F.-J.