Re: World of Ferns [ex Rickards]

  • shadyplants
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2011
      I have heard that Ben is in the process of closing down the business after the winters losses. I have heard rumours that it is being sold but nothing confirmed as of yet

      --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Maurice Wilkins" <maurice@...> wrote:

      > I've been wondering about this for a while and have contacted a local friend for information, but have heard nothing. Very mysterious!
      >
      > --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Howard" <howard.fernman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I looked at World of Ferns website today, just window shopping really, but I was a bit perturbed to see a notice stating:
      > >
      > > "Shop Closed ...
      > > The shop is closed from 12th January 2011
      > > We will not be taking orders until further notice."
      > >
      > > Does anyone know anything about this?

    • Howard Matthews
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2011
        Do I take that to mean the the severe winter seriously depleted their stock, making the business unable to carry on?
        I can understand this because as they grew most of their own ferns there would be no income during the lengthy time it would take to build their stock up again.  It would take substantial financial reserves or an enormous overdraft (probably out of the question) to get around that.

        On 1 May 2011 16:13, shadyplants <facebook@...> wrote:

        I have heard that Ben is in the process of closing down the business after the winters losses. I have heard rumours that it is being sold but nothing confirmed as of yet

      • william hughes
        Message 3 of 12 , May 20, 2011
          That fellow in Ireland has bought the nursery - it will run from Ireland - Billy alexander. It won't exist at Tregarth.

          I have heard that Ben is in the process of closing down the business after the winters losses. I have heard rumours that it is being sold but nothing confirmed as of yet

          --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Maurice Wilkins" <maurice@...> wrote:

          > I've been wondering about this for a while and have contacted a local friend for information, but have heard nothing. Very mysterious!
          >
          > --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Howard" <howard.fernman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I looked at World of Ferns website today, just window shopping really, but I was a bit perturbed to see a notice stating:
          > >
          > > "Shop Closed ...
          > > The shop is closed from 12th January 2011
          > > We will not be taking orders until further notice."
          > >
          > > Does anyone know anything about this?

        • Maurice Wilkins
          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2011
            That's bad news - much less likely to be able to visit, but better than closing, I suppose.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2011
              and although a charming individual, his prices are in another league!

              Message 6 of 12 , May 30, 2011
                Thanks for the news, William. It will be interesting to see what Billy ends up selling. The location in Ireland shouldn't make a lot of difference to buyers, since Tregarth became "visitors by appointment only". I could understand that because I used to "drop by" when I was in North Wales, but the place was usually like the Marie Celeste. However, I don't like making appointments because you then feel committed to spending something, and on that note the prices had climbed to more than I felt prepared to pay for the few new Dryopteris species I coveted.

                Howard.

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2011
                  I wonder wherabouts in Ireland it might be? - 'tis a big place! If it's in a good area (not too very cold in Winter and wet enough in Summer) they should be able to grow all sorts of nice things and spread them around. Do they have an e-mail address?
                  Martin used to have a plant of the Gymnocarpium x Cystopteris from the French Pyrenees, x Cystocarpium roskamianum, which still grows vigorously and spreads nicely at Leiden, if not at World of Ferns. Interestingly it has just been confirmed molecularly that it is indeed of this bigeneric origin.
                  I was hoping to bring some Himalayan goodies with me this August, but now I just heard that money is delayed and I probably can't get back to the UK for another 6 months. Trapped in Nepal? - well I can think of a lot worse places to be!
                  Was lucky enough to find lovely Woodsia glabella up at 4000 metres behind Annapurna a couple of weeks ago - and so far it is growing new leaves in a bowl out the back down at 1500 metres in Kathmandu, if our packs of snails don't get it.
                  Cheers,
                  Chris Fraser-Jenkins, Kathmandu.

                  --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, Howard Matthews <howard.fernman@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the news, William. It will be interesting to see what Billy ends
                  > up selling. The location in Ireland shouldn't make a lot of difference to
                  > buyers, since Tregarth became "visitors by appointment only". I could
                  > understand that because I used to "drop by" when I was in North Wales, but
                  > the place was usually like the Marie Celeste. However, I don't like making
                  > appointments because you then feel committed to spending something, and on
                  > that note the prices had climbed to more than I felt prepared to pay for the
                  > few new Dryopteris species I coveted.
                  >
                  > Howard.

                • Maurice Wilkins
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
                    Hi Chris

                    Billy's email address is billy.e.alexander@... and the nursery is in Dublin.

                    Cheers

                    Maurice Wilkins
                    Scotland
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 25, 2011
                      Dear Maurice,
                      Sorry - the e-mail address did not come out in full on this forum - got the bit before the at, but not the bit after. Due to hyperlink recognition or some such. Could you just send the afterwards bit again - with no "at" symbol, then I should get it!
                      Cheers,
                      Chris F.-J.