ManorCon is moving

  • Mark Stretch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29 2:05 AM
      ManorCon is moving...
      ManorCon has been held at the University of Birmingham every year since
      ManorCon I
      in 1983. There are many memories here - days gone by when there were over
      350 people
      playing games for the weekend, when it used to hold the largest Diplomacy
      Tournament
      in the world with over 100 players taking part every year. Days when the
      second largest
      tournament was the Acquire tournament, and when the most played train game
      was
      Railway Rivals. Days when some of our younger gamers weren't even born!
      In the past few years, ManorCon has been moved around the different halls a
      few times,
      as it has dodged the renovations work that's been going on around us. But we've
      stuck
      with it, following the light at the end of the tunnel, when all the
      renovations are
      complete, the disruptions are no more, and we can have ManorCon in a rebuilt
      modern
      venue.
      Unfortunately, it has now become clear that the light at the end of the
      tunnel is just a
      bloke with a torch. We can now see the result of the renovations, and it is
      clear that they
      are not designed to host a convention like ManorCon. So after 24 years, it's
      time to
      move.
      After considering many venues, we have decided that ManorCon XXV will be
      held on
      20th - 23rd July 2007, at Stamford Hall at the University of Leicester.
      There were many
      things that made us choose this venue. We can have exclusive use of the hall
      for the
      whole weekend. We can play games and have meals in the same hall. We have
      enough
      rooms to be able to properly accommodate the Diplomacy, the Second Hand
      Games
      Sale, the Pop Quiz, the Treasure Hunt, etc, all in rooms suited to their
      needs. We have a
      bar, which can sell all the things we drink, including Real Ale. Leicester
      University
      already hosts a number of games conventions of various types, so they have a
      good idea
      what to expect. And on top of all that, their prices are lower than those
      that we are
      currently paying.
      The site is also very easily accessible, both by car and public transport.
      By car, it is 4
      miles around the Leicester outer ring road from the M1. And by train, there
      are direct
      trains to Leicester from many locations, including London St Pancras and
      Birmingham
      New Street, and then there is a frequent direct bus service from the train
      station to the
      venue.
      All-in-all, we are really looking forward to this move. After the problems
      of last year, we
      wish we could have moved there this year, but the time required to find a
      new venue and
      then to organise everything made this impossible. So we look forward to
      seeing you at
      ManorCon XXV in Leicester in 2007.