MasterCon

  • David Norman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2003
      MasterCon has a new home. Following a change of ownership of the Hind Hotel
      (where it was held last year), the new management felt it was sensible to
      double last year's room rates, and also charge 500.00 per day for the
      convention rooms. So MasterCon felt they could charge somebody else that
      much, and it would move elsewhere.

      So, it's off to Corby, and the Elizabeth Hotel Rockingham. This is about 12
      miles North of last year's location. Despite the change of location, the
      date is the same as previously planned - 28th February to 2nd March 2003.

      The room rate is 27.50 per night per person, including breakfast - whether
      you want a single, twin or double room. The hotel has 71 rooms, so they
      shouldn't run out, and the car parks have space for 70 cars.

      Access is easy if you have a car... If you are on public transport, it is a
      little more challenging. There is a train service to Kettering, from which
      you can get a bus operated by Midland Mainline (so your train ticket should
      be valid on the bus) to Corby town centre. Busses run every 30 minutes or
      so, and take about 20 minutes.

      Alternatively there is a bus from Peterborough Station to Corby town
      centre, which takes around 1 hour. This one is operated by GNER (so again,
      you should be able to get a train ticket which includes the bus).

      Once in Corby centre, the hotel is a mile or two away. There may be a local
      bus service, or you may have to get a taxi. More info on this nearer the time.

      Bookings can be done in a number of ways :

      (1) By e-mail the hotel. Write to Helen, at elizabeth.rockingham (at)
      ukonline.co.uk . Make sure you mention MasterCon, or they will charge you
      75.00 per night instead of the special convention rate of 27.50.

      (2) By post to Eve and Keith Smith, MASTERCON, 71 Cross Street, Kettering,
      Northants, NN16 9DJ.

      (3) By phone to Eve and Keith, on 01536 358165.

      (4) By e-mail to me, and I will forward them to Keith and Eve in batches.

      To book, we need to know :

      Name:
      Address:
      Tel No:
      E-mail:
      Accommodation type (single/twin/double):
      Name of person sharing (if not single !):
      Nights required (from Fri, Sat, Sun):

      Finally, a few notes. It is up to you to pay your hotel bill, and checkout
      is 10am. There will be a comfortable smoking area. And since we believe
      this date doesn't clash with any other Conventions, or with School Half
      Term, we hope to see everybody there...

      David.
    • David Norman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2004
        MasterCon

        12 - 14th March 2004. Elizabeth Hotel, Rockingham Road, Corby, Northants.

        So far, it is a mixed bag. A lot of people say they are going, but nobody
        is actually booking. OK, that's not quite true, the organisers, and one
        other person, have already booked.

        This may not sound like a problem. We all know what most of the hobby is
        like. Leave everything to the last minute, there's sure to still be rooms
        free. The problem is, the hotel don't know what we're like.

        And so they are worried. Really worried. As in, they are saying that if we
        don't get some bookings in the next few days, then they are going to cancel
        the convention.

        So, if you are intending to go to MasterCon, then please book now. They
        have an e-mail address, so no need to wait until working hours. Just send
        an e-mail to elizabeth.rockingham@... and tell them you want a
        room for MasterCon. In fact I'll make it even easier. Just cut and paste
        the following, and delete as applicable:

        Subject: Booking for MasterCon.

        Ref: NAS 1203
        Dear Gillian,

        Please can you book me a room for MasterCon. I would like a :

        - Single room at 40.00 per night
        - Twin room at 59.00 per night
        - Double room at 59.00 per night

        For Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights

        My Credit card number is:
        -or-
        Please confirm the room is available, and I will phone with my credit card
        details.

        The hotel phone number is 01536 401348. And of course, if you don't want to
        book by e-mail, you can do the whole thing by phone - just start off by
        asking for Gillian and quoting the Reference Number (NAS 1203).

        Any problems, mail me : david@... or Keith :
        keith4.smith@...

        Full details at www.ellought.demon.co.uk/mastercon

        David.
      • David Norman
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
          Hi All,

          MasterCon will be 18th to 20th March 2005, and once again will be held at
          the Elizabeth Hotel, Rockingham Road, Corby, Northants.

          I have just updated the Webpage, http://www.ellought.demon.co.uk/mastercon
          with this year's information. Please note that the advanced registration
          fee will only be available for a short length of time, as we have to get
          sufficient bookings into the hotel sufficiently far in advance, in order
          for the convention to go ahead.

          More details, including details of how to book, can be found on the above
          webpage. Any questions, please ask me or Keith.

          David.
        • David Norman
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15 12:47 PM
            MasterCon 2005 is this weekend - 18th to 20th March 2005.

            Unfortunately, Eve Smith has been seriously ill in the last week. She is
            now out of hospital, but has been ordered to take two weeks complete rest,
            so neither she nor Keith will be there. Therefore I am taking over the
            running of the convention for this year. This has come as rather a surprise
            to me, as I'm sure it will be to you, so please be nice to me, make things
            as easy as you can, don't get too upset if things don't quite go perfectly,
            etc.

            Other than that, the convention will be the same as it has been in the last
            couple of years - same location, same games (plus maybe some new ones),
            same friendly atmosphere, etc.

            If you are coming along, and you have not told Keith and Eve, please let me
            know a.s.a.p.

            If you want a room in the hotel, please book it yourself. If you have any
            problems doing this, then please let me know, and I'll do what I can to help.

            More information can be found at http://www.ellought.demon.co.uk/mastercon

            David.
          • David Norman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2006
              Hi All,

              It's now only 5 weeks to MasterCon - so time to start thinking about
              getting organised.

              The Youth Hostel is now full - or at least nearly full, depending on which
              report you believe... If you want to stay there, it might be worth
              contacting them, but do it now. And if you find it's full, don't be surprised.

              The other option, is to stay at the Marriott Hotel. This is a recently
              refurbished, four star hotel. The prices are 65.00 per room per night for a
              single room, or 70.00 per room per night for a twin or double room. So if
              you were intending to take a 2-person room at the Youth Hostel, the hotel
              is actually cheaper!!! The hotel is about a mile from the convention.

              If you want to stay at the hotel, you can book through Shaun Derrick.
              shaun.derrick@... . This is a special rate that Shaun has secured, so
              you cannot book directly with the hotel at these prices.

              Any questions, feel free to ask.

              David.