Mefloquine paper

  • Robert Cregg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 1999
      I found this article on MEDLINE thought some would find it interesting.

      Rob Cregg

      A severe adverse reaction to mefloquine and chloroquine prophylaxis.

      Lysack JT, Lysack CL, Kvern BL

      School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen's University,
      Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

      [Medline record in process]

      A 23 year old man with no history of neurological or psychiatric illness
      ingested three weekly 228 mg doses of mefloquine base (250 mg salt) as
      malaria prophylaxis while in
      India. He experienced an increasingly severe adverse reaction after each
      dose, including symptoms of paranoia, hallucinations, and suicidal
      ideation. The man discontinued
      mefloquine and continued malaria prophylaxis with chloroquine. Shortly
      after the first 300 mg dose of chloroquine base (500 mg chloroquine
      phosphate salt), symptoms acutely
      intensified and became debilitating. Severe symptoms persisted for 12
      months following the discontinuation of both antimalarial drugs.

      PMID: 9919736, UI: 99118389