Update from Bamako

  • Paul Dever
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 1999
      Reply to: Update from Bamako
      As some of you know, I was in DC for the Foreign Service Oral Assessment. This time around I did not pass. It seems that it is a numbers game as well as any thing else. The stats:

      600 applicants signed up for the Alternative Entry Program (AEP)
      They took 193 applicants for the OralAssessment
      They were looking for 30 applicants more or less equally divided up into the four "cones": consular, admin, political, and econ.

      On average, they were interviewing 7-8 people per day, and choosing one.

      I am disappointed, but not discouraged. I have also heard that there was a large number of people vying for the admin cone, so there was a lot of cooperation.

      But the better news is that I got a chance to see some old PCVs from Malawi and other countries. We had a nice dinner at the Ghana Caf�, and also got a chance to see some old friends at the Bocum Caf� where a colleague of mine from PC/Benin was debuting her CD she cut with a blues band in Lom�.

      We had a good meal and I got to go see some museums, and eat street food (definitely bettere in DC than Malawi...couldn't find a chip vendor...)

      Roopangi and Mandy went well out of their ways to help me navigate Foggy Bottom and the Wise clan was really helpful in Atlanta. They even managed to dig up one of my old PCVs from Burundi that I evacuated. What a reunion...

      Ciao, ciao, ciao...

      Tsilani Bwino