Re: DC folks: Zanzibar pt 2

  • Kenneth E. Shockley
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      I thought it was a bit ambitious to throw a birthday party in Zanzibar
      (although it might as well be in Africa as far as I'm concerned)

      _________________________
      Kenneth Shockley
      Department of Philosophy
      Campus Box 1073
      Washington University
      St. Louis, MO 63130

      "Simple reciprocity is less controversial than it should be- whether as a
      standard of fairness or even as an appropriate operationalization of the
      Golden Rule.... An eye for an eye is hardly fair when one relies far
      more heavily on eyesight in his work than the other. A beer for a beer is
      hardly fair when the person who bought the first round is far richer than
      the one obliged by that rule to buy the next"
      - Robert Goodin, _Protecting the Vulnerable_

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
        Well, I only turn 30 once so maybe...

        From: "Kenneth E. Shockley" <shockley@...>

        I thought it was a bit ambitious to throw a birthday party in Zanzibar
        (although it might as well be in Africa as far as I'm concerned)
      • Paul Dever
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
          Reply to: RE>[ujeni] DC folks: Zanzibar pt 2
          I had a hilarious incident at the African Museum of Art in DC:

          I was with some friends from Mali, and we stopped in the souvenir shop to
          see what we could sell all our stuff for. Then I saw a "Touareg Hat", a
          pastoral head covering that looks sort of like a Vietnamese rice-farmers
          hat.

          Only problem is that Touaregs don't wear hats;they wear turbans. When I
          explained this minor detail to the shop owner, he said, "Yes, and what
          kind of hat is it?"

          I said, "Well, to be honest it is a hat worn by the indigenous Songai
          (Sonrhai) people of western Mali, and also the Peuhl herders."

          He said, "Uh...how do you know?"

          "I LIVE with them."

          "Uh, oh yes, it pains me to see this since I too am from Afica, but the
          vendor put the information on the item and I cannot change it."

          Yeah, right...

          --------------------------------------
          Date: 12/2/99 5:37 PM
          To: Custodian
          From: ujeni@onelist.com
          From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

          Damn, I knew I forgot something. Zanzibar is at 700 Water St SW in DC.

          Also, there's a free concert at the African art museum that day at 2pm. I
          went to the one last month (another Ghanaian band) and they were really
          good. I recommend checking this one out.

          Sounds from Africa: Akatanwia
          Performance
          National Museum of African Art
          Laryea Addy and his group, Akatanwia, offer the hypnotic rhythms,
          delicate grace, and
          powerful musical language of traditional music from many regions of Ghana.
          Time: 2 PM
          Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Lecture Hall
          Cost: Free

          [Message ID: -1267966235]
          [Internet header:]
          Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:59:46 -0500