Tiny E!

  • Raymond R. Wise
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 23, 1999
      Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
      the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.

      Deb, Rand and Other Wise
    • Peter Bertling
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 23, 1999
        Major congrats all around, you two!!!!!!!! About time you had a little
        muffin in the oven. Hey, how about that for a name? Muffin. I like it.
        Kind of sweet, tasty on the tongue. No? What about Bran flakes or
        Pumpernickle? Chocolate ice cream banana split with cherries and whipped
        cream? You could shorten that one to just Split.
        Nothing too much more from this end. Just got back from a week vacation in
        Europe. You know us jet setting types. Went to Vienna, Budapest, and
        Prague. A good trip all around. Ate way more than I needed to, but after
        the monotony of Turkish food, it was nice to get a variety.
        The earthquakes haven't been near us, so there's no need to worry about
        Becky and I. I know you were sweating bulletts there, so just relax. I'm
        safe. School is still hell. My classes are going ok this year, but I'm
        noticing a lot more of the intimidation shit that goes on. Not to say
        there's more of it, I'm just noticing it more. So, I'll be glad to get out
        of this place at the end of the year. I'm looking at coming back to
        Chicago for a few years before I probably head back over seas. We'll see
        how it all pans out.
        Ok, I need to go prep for my one class today. It's Teacher's Day today, so
        they're giving us an easy load. Nice, especially right after vacation.
        Take care of yourself and, once again, a pat on the back for a job well
        done. Congrats. Peace.

        Peter
      • Ramona Roth
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
          Woo hoo- excellent news! Just think of the sense of humor that little
          munchkin will have...
          Congratulations!
          Ramona

          At 10:55 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
          >
          >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
          >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
          >
          >Deb, Rand and Other Wise

        • Daniel Dudley
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
            I tried to talk Gertrude into naming our first Ujeni or Dzina. Both got
            vetoed. Can you immagine someone later in school asking what their name
            means. I am still trying to see if I can talk Gert into either of these two
            names for our next one, but so far, I have been vetoed on all around.
            Papadud

            If you are interested in competative long distance rates check out my web
            site at http://www.excelir.com/ddudley
            Or you can do your online shopping at MySuperstore at the same website.
          • Scott Geibel
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
              One day when I was at a bank at Mzuzu, I met a young woman named Shelinda. Her parents were Catholic missionaries (or dentists or something) during in the early 70s, and named their daughter after their favorite place-- Chelinda lodge at Nyika Park.

              I'm starting to forget some of the crazy first names that Malawians had (God Knows, Hygiene, Lucky, Happy), but I'm also wondering if there are more Americans out there with crazy Malawian first names.

              I propose that some of you post your name lists for the ujeni historical record?

              scott
              At 10:55 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
              >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
              >
              >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
              >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
              >
              >Deb, Rand and Other Wise

            • Kenneth E. Shockley
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
                My favorite was "Cleanmaster". Deb and Rand, for the emotional health of
                your child, please don't choose Cleanmaster (Although Steve's "Queen
                Professor" might be a reasonable choice)

                _________________________
                Kenneth Shockley
                Department of Philosophy
                Campus Box 1073
                Washington University
                St. Louis, MO 63130

                On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Scott Geibel wrote:

                > One day when I was at a bank at Mzuzu, I met a young woman named Shelinda. Her parents were Catholic missionaries (or dentists or something) during in the early 70s, and named their daughter after their favorite place-- Chelinda lodge at Nyika Park.
                >
                > I'm starting to forget some of the crazy first names that Malawians had (God Knows, Hygiene, Lucky, Happy), but I'm also wondering if there are more Americans out there with crazy Malawian first names.
                >
                > I propose that some of you post your name lists for the ujeni historical record?
                >
                > scott
                > At 10:55 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
                > >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                > >
                > >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                > >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                > >
                > >Deb, Rand and Other Wise

              • Kenneth E. Shockley
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
                  And think of the vocabulary!

                  (Congrats you two)

                  _________________________
                  Kenneth Shockley
                  Department of Philosophy
                  Campus Box 1073
                  Washington University
                  St. Louis, MO 63130

                  On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ramona Roth wrote:

                  > From: Ramona Roth <r-roth@...>
                  >
                  > Woo hoo- excellent news! Just think of the sense of humor that little
                  > munchkin will have...
                  > Congratulations!
                  > Ramona
                  >
                  > At 10:55 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
                  > >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                  > >
                  > >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                  > >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                  > >
                  > >Deb, Rand and Other Wise

                • phil & juliet drazek
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
                    William Cannon once told us about a student of his named "Butter on a
                    biscuit", but everyone just called him "Biscuit".

                    Phil and Juliet
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 25, 1999
                      Congrats Deb and Rand,

                      I would like to thrown in my favorite names. I knew a guy who worked for
                      Africare in Mzuzu--name of Professor. A waitress up at the Chombe Inn by the
                      name of Maybe. And a short list out of Luwazu DEC--Refuse, Pliers and
                      Asbestos. Have you thought about Sage...Sage Wise?

                      Congratulations again.

                      > Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:55:08 -0500
                      > To: ujeni@onelist.com
                      > From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                      > Subject: [ujeni] Tiny E!
                      >
                      > From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                      >
                      > Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                      > the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                      >
                      > Deb, Rand and Other Wise

                    • John Spurlock Romweber
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 26, 1999
                        Deb & Rand,

                        Hey, congratulations. I guess that little party you all hosted in your
                        hotel room at the Sahara was even more successful than any of us thought.
                        As for the all important iwe name: Professor, Refuse, Maybe, Asbestos,
                        Pliers, and Tycoon are all good options. But I vote for Sage.

                        JSR
                      • Weber
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 27, 1999
                          Our Worker gave birth to her first child, a girl. She, like the Wises'.
                          asked me to name the baby. It was , therefore, my responsibility to provide
                          the English/Christian moniker, while she was to pick the Chichewa name.
                          I took my responsibility seriously as I didn't want to mark the child for
                          life with something insipid. Since our worker's name was Gladys and her
                          mother Fanny, I felt my choice of Lillian was fitting. It's the name of my
                          grandmother.
                          After a couple of weeks I asked her what SHE named the baby. I listened
                          carefully, expecting a challenge to my ears; names like Popapo or Atupere,
                          our neighbor girls. My ears, however, almost caused the rest of me to burst
                          out laughing when they heard Jennifer. I stifled myself, honest I really
                          did. Don Weber
                          >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                          >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                          >
                          >Deb, Rand and Other Wise
                          >
                          >-
                        • STEPHEN BERRY
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 28, 1999
                            Congratulations a Wisi!

                            i have a friend from Willacoochee, GEORGIA, who swears she grew up with a
                            girl named Formica Dinette. it does have a nice ring.

                            steve

                          • Susan_Clasby@amsinc.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 29, 1999
                              Congratulations you two, that's such happy news! Nosmoking and Handkerchief,
                              are two of my most memorable Malawian name encounters!! Neither suitable for a
                              Tiny E!

                              Balakasue
                            • Mark Holland
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 29, 1999
                                Congrats indeed. My personal favorite of all time was Jane Bonin's Securicor
                                guard, who was named Flatware.

                                Mark
                              • kym walther
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 1, 1999
                                  My new kitten's name is Iwe and she just happens to have been born July 3 as
                                  well!

                                  >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                                  >To: ujeni@onelist.com
                                  >Subject: [ujeni] Tiny E!
                                  >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:55:08 -0500
                                  >
                                  >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                                  >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                                  >
                                  >Deb, Rand and Other Wise
                                  >
                                  ><< text3.html >>
                                • Luz Huntington
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 5, 1999
                                    The list of names for the Other Wise seems to be growing into a powerful
                                    force. I feel compelled to contribute and just keep it going. Plus, just the
                                    idea of possibly helping to name the Wise offspring is incentive enough,
                                    Ndithu!!!

                                    1. Had a neighbor whose little boy was named Record.
                                    2. A student in Form 1 named Scholastica, an excellent student actually.
                                    3. Another student named Origin
                                    4. Last but certainly not least is Fatness. She was one of my most vivacious
                                    students.

                                    On the other hand, How about some Chichewa names...
                                    1. Kumvana, I believe it means "We Understand(Hear) One Another"
                                    2. Zione, meaning "We will see"
                                    3. Tikhala, "We stay"
                                    Also the standards...Madalitso (Blessings), Chikondi (Love), Mphatso (Gift),
                                    Pempho (Pray), Tamandani (We are praising), Lekeleni (cant remember) ,
                                    Phirilani (ditto), Chifundu (think it means grace).

                                    Yes I probably misspelled/mistranslated lots of them but the thought is
                                    there.

                                    Congratulations again, You two will make wonderful parents. I have always
                                    thought you have a relationship to be envied.
                                    Love Luz

                                    >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                                    >To: ujeni@onelist.com
                                    >Subject: [ujeni] Tiny E!
                                    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:55:08 -0500
                                    >
                                    >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                                    >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                                    >
                                    >Deb, Rand and Other Wise
                                    >
                                    ><< text3.html >>
                                  • Paul Dever
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 6, 1999
                                      Reply to: RE>>[ujeni] Tiny E!
                                      One of the bellhops at the Mzuzu Hotel was named "Bulldozer"...said so
                                      right on his nametag.

                                      --------------------------------------
                                      Date: 11/24/99 10:44 PM
                                      To: Custodian
                                      From: ujeni@onelist.com
                                      One day when I was at a bank at Mzuzu, I met a young woman named Shelinda.
                                      Her parents were Catholic missionaries (or dentists or something) during
                                      in the early 70s, and named their daughter after their favorite place--
                                      Chelinda lodge at Nyika Park.

                                      I'm starting to forget some of the crazy first names that Malawians had
                                      (God Knows, Hygiene, Lucky, Happy), but I'm also wondering if there are
                                      more Americans out there with crazy Malawian first names.

                                      I propose that some of you post your name lists for the ujeni historical
                                      record?

                                      scott
                                      At 10:55 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
                                      >From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>
                                      >
                                      >Anyone know a good name for an iwe? Right now we're just calling it
                                      >the Tiny E. Please help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.
                                      >
                                      >Deb, Rand and Other Wise

                                      <HTML><HEAD>
                                      <STYLE></STYLE>
                                      </HEAD>
                                      <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
                                      <DIV>One day when I was at a bank at Mzuzu, I met a young woman named
                                      Shelinda.  Her parents were Catholic missionaries (or dentists or
                                      something) during in the early 70s, and named their daughter after their
                                      favorite place-- Chelinda lodge at Nyika Park.</DIV>
                                      <DIV> </DIV>
                                      <DIV>I'm starting to forget some of the crazy first names that Malawians
                                      had
                                      (God Knows, Hygiene, Lucky, Happy), but I'm also wondering if there are
                                      more
                                      Americans out there with crazy Malawian first names.</DIV>
                                      <DIV> </DIV>
                                      <DIV>I propose that some of you post your name lists for the ujeni
                                      historical
                                      record?</DIV>
                                      <DIV> </DIV>
                                      <DIV>scott</DIV>
                                      <BLOCKQUOTE
                                      style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT:
                                      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">At 10:55 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you
                                      wrote:<BR>>From: "Raymond R. Wise"
                                      <wiserd@...><BR>><BR>>Anyone know a good name for
                                      an
                                      iwe?  Right now we're just calling it<BR>>the Tiny E.
                                      Please
                                      help the nominally challenged before July 3rd.<BR>><BR>>Deb, Rand
                                      and
                                      Other Wise<BR>><BR>>><BR>><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTM

                                      [Message ID: -1268639018]
                                      [Internet header:]
                                      From: "Scott Geibel" <scottgeibel@...>
                                      To: <ujeni@onelist.com>
                                      Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:33:41 -0500
                                      Subject: Re: [ujeni] Tiny E!
                                        Reply to: RE>>[ujeni] Tiny E!
                                        In Pensacola, my mom went to school with a girl named Fanny. Not so odd
                                        coming from the South; had a girl in my 5th grade calss named Fanny also.

                                        However, her family name was Rump...

                                        --------------------------------------
                                        Date: 11/29/99 7:31 AM
                                        To: Custodian
                                        From: ujeni@onelist.com
                                        From: STEPHEN BERRY <berrys@...>

                                        Congratulations a Wisi!

                                        i have a friend from Willacoochee, GEORGIA, who swears she grew up with a
                                        girl named Formica Dinette. it does have a nice ring.

                                        steve

                                        On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Weber wrote:

                                        > Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:43:23 -0800
                                        > From: Weber <weber@...>
                                        > To: ujeni@onelist.com
                                        > Subject: Re: [ujeni] Tiny E!
                                        >
                                        > From: "Weber" <weber@...>
                                        >
                                        > Our Worker gave birth to her first child, a girl. She, like the Wises'.
                                        > asked me to name the baby. It was , therefore, my responsibility to
                                        provide
                                        > the English/Christian moniker, while she was to pick the Chichewa name.
                                        > I took my responsibility seriously as I didn't want to mark the child for
                                        > life with something insipid. Since our worker's name was Gladys and her
                                        > mother Fanny, I felt my choice of Lillian was fitting. It's the name of
                                        my
                                        > grandmother.
                                        > After a couple of weeks I asked her what SHE named the baby. I listened
                                        > carefully, expecting a challenge to my ears; names like Popapo or
                                        Atupere,
                                        > our neighbor girls. My ears, however, almost caused the rest of me to
                                        burst
                                        > out laughing when they heard Jennifer. I stifled myself, honest I really
                                        > did. Don Weber

                                        [Message ID: -1268261803]
                                        [Internet header:]
                                        Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:33:27 -0500 (EST)
                                        From: STEPHEN BERRY <berrys@...>
                                        To: ujeni@onelist.com
                                          Did anyone else wonder what Paul Dever was doing at the Mzuzu Hotel? Melissa
                                        • Paul Dever
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 7, 1999
                                            Reply to: RE>>[ujeni] Tiny E!
                                            Uh...I was on a trip...really...with Jane Bonin...we were checking out...
                                            I mean we were investigating sites for the 1995 PST in Ekwendeni...I
                                            swear...ask Jane (jbonin@...)

                                            --------------------------------------
                                            Date: 12/8/99 1:11 AM
                                            To: Custodian
                                            From: ujeni@onelist.com
                                            From: spenc024@...

                                            Did anyone else wonder what Paul Dever was doing at the Mzuzu Hotel?
                                            Melissa

                                            [Message ID: -1267507012]
                                            [Internet header:]
                                            From: spenc024@...