African history?

  • Mark Holland
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 1999
      I've just read The Poisonwood Bible (brilliant!), and it's stirred me up
      about the ugly things the US and USSR did in Africa from the 50s
      onward. Can anyone recommend a history book on the subject? Something
      like The Scramble for Africa, but for a later time period? Been
      searching Amazon and Booklist for an hour with limited results. BTW,
      can anyone recommend a book-finding web service?

      Tx,
      Mark
    • Becky Mueller
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 1999
        I have to agree with Mark that The Poisonwood Bible was an AMAZING book and
        can highly recommend it to all of you.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 1999
          Reply to: RE>>[ujeni] African history?
          Another one to readwhich tells not much of previous plunder, but current
          is "The Lords of Poverty", the tales of many a development agency gone
          wrong, and the various groups who have a self-interest in development
          (actually self-enriching), and why there is little altruism left in the
          world...

          --------------------------------------
          Date: 11/11/99 5:47 PM
          To: Custodian
          From: ujeni@onelist.com
          From: "Becky Mueller" <becky.mueller@...>

          I have to agree with Mark that The Poisonwood Bible was an AMAZING book and
          can highly recommend it to all of you.

          I've just read The Poisonwood Bible (brilliant!), and it's stirred me up
          about the ugly things the US and USSR did in Africa from the 50s
          onward. Can anyone recommend a history book on the subject? Something
          like The Scramble for Africa, but for a later time period? Been
          searching Amazon and Booklist for an hour with limited results. BTW,
          can anyone recommend a book-finding web service?

          Tx,
          Mark

          [Message ID: -1269780068]
          [Internet header:]