One child per family?

  • Raymond R. Wise
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 1999
      Should the U.S. Address One Child Policy?

      The United States is deliberately suppressing the need to address a one
      child per family policy for parts of the world where the population is
      exploding. They are not addressing this issue in order to preserve its right
      to consume resources, in the opinion of British population growth expert Dr.
      Maurice King In an article published in the "British Medical Journal," King
      maintains that experts in population growth along with the United Nations
      refuse to address this issue because if the South is to restrict its
      population growth, the North, especially the United States, should restrict
      its resource consumption. But without intervention, population growth will
      become simply unsustainable. In an accompanying editorial, Professor Anthony
      McMichael and Professor John Guillebaud counter that not everyone shares
      King's conviction that a one child per family policy is the answer to the
      population explosion. The more optimistic view, they suggest, is that
      technology will somehow be able to "fix" the world's food supply through
      innovations such as genetically engineered foods. Opponents of policy
      intervention also feel that increasing education among women in undeveloped
      countries will eventually reduce the number of children they bear.

      Reuters Health, Yahoo! News British Medical Journal 1999;319:931-932, 998-1001.
      Rand & Deb Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      wiserd@...
      (404) 327-5765

      How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand.
    • Peter Bertling
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 1999
        Anybody read the book "Ishmail?" Puts some interesting questions on the
        table related to hunger and starvation. Not necessarily popular, but
        interesting.