hemingway

  • douglas bush
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 1999
      kupiga is kind of a catchall verb, like kumanga or kutenga. it literally
      means to beat, but is super versatile. kupiga picha, to take a photo,
      kupiga hodi, to knock on a door, etc. hemingway's use was probably related
      to shooting (and hitting) some game animal, or opening a bottle of imported
      beer.

      >From: kristi henderson <red.fred@...>
      >To: ujeni@onelist.com
      >Subject: [ujeni]
      >Date: 19 Oct 99 09:07:28 MDT
      >
      >A colleaugue of mine is reading a Hemingway book, and has found Swahili to
      >be
      >used quite frequently. Usually the Swahili is translated - with one
      >exception, the word piga. Anyone have any idea of the meaning of this
      >word?
      >
      >Hope all is well with everyone. It's been a struggle here in our little
      >backwoods school - we lost one of our 8th grade students last week. I had
      >him
      >in class as both a 7th and 8th grader - very difficult.
      >
      >oh, yeah...glad I'm not in an earthquake zone...sounds like it could be a
      >little...revealing, maybe?
      >
      >Kristi Henderson

      >Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1
      ><< text3.html >>
    • emma spenner
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 1999
        Bushi, you are so smart --- and we didn't even learn Swahili in the Peace of
        Corps, now did we..... Good for you. - Emma