HIV 2 and Malawi

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 1999
      "Malawi Records No HIV-2 Cases"
      PANA Wire Service (08/25/99); Tenthani, Raphael
      AIDS experts in Malawi report that no one in the country has been
      diagnosed with HIV-2, the predominant HIV strain in West Africa.
      In contrast, Mozambique, one of Malawi's neighbors, has recorded
      many cases of HIV-2. Roy Hauya, the deputy director of Malawi's
      National AIDS Control Program, noted: "We live almost together
      with our Mozambican neighbors, others (over a million in number)
      have been here for years as refugees, but we do not have HIV-2
      while they have."

      Elizabeth Bell MPH
      Behavioral Interventions and Research Branch
      Division of STD Prevention
      National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention

      "This last phase of the program is like the last mile of the marathon. ...
      If any one country fails, the world fails."
      -- Dr. Uton Muchtar Rafei of the World Health Organization, on what is
      planned to be the final push to eradicate polio in India by the end of 2000.