Re: news

  • rstratford@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 1999
      0From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

      African mothers test new HIV
      drug

      A new anti-HIV drug is to be tested on infected women in
      Malawi, to see if it reduces the chance of the virus been
      passed on to babies through breastfeeding.

      Trials have shown that navaripine, a drug developed in
      the United States, reduces the risk of a mother with HIV
      infecting her child at birth.

      The decision to look at its possible wider effectiveness
      was reached after a two-year study of babies in Malawi.

      The study appears to confirm a long-held theory that
      breastfeeding mothers are more likely to pass on the
      HIV virus in the first six months of a child's life, although
      the risk remains until the child is weaned.

      The drug is to be tested on women throughout
      sub-Saharan Africa.

      *****

      Eritrea-Malawi Eritrea Condemns Killing of Its Citizen in
      Malawi

      DAKAR, Senegal (PANA, 08/99/24) - The foreign ministry in Asmara Tuesday
      condemned the death of one Eritrean and the injuring of seven others in Malawi.

      In a statement, Eritrea said it was seeking clarification from the government of
      Malawi regarding the death and the forced repatriation of 24 others to Ethiopia.

      It added that the Eritrean government was using shuttle diplomacy in contacting
      the Malawian government regarding the case of the 25, who travelled to Malawi
      from Ethiopia where they had been detained due to their nationality.

      The Eritreans were deported from Malawi under accusations of arriving in that
      country on falsified travel documents despite reports from Addis Ababa that
      they had been issued visas from the Malawi Embassy for 1,000 US dollars each.

      "Eritrea's representative had assured the government of Malawi that Eritrea
      would accept responsibility for the 25 nationals whom he expressly asked not be
      sent back to Ethiopia from where they had just come and where Eritreans
      remain in danger," the statement pointed out.

      It said that officials of the International Red Cross have confirmed that the vi
      im
      died as a result of gunshot wounds despite claims by the Malawi government
      that he died of a previous illness.

      *****

      Rights-Malawi: WOMEN'S Dress Code Freedom Comes under
      New Attack

      LILONGWE, (Aug. 24) IPS - Women and rights groups in Malawi have
      described as "an insult" remarks by a legislator that women in the small
      southern African country abuse the freedom of dress to show off their bare
      bodies.

      Speaking on a motion on women's rights in the capital Lilongwe recently, newly
      elected parliamentarian Joseph Njobvuyalema said that since Malawi repealed
      its dress code in 1992, women are "walking half naked clearly showing their
      contours and valleys."

      Njobvuyalema was sent out of the House for refusing to withdraw the statement
      which the Speaker, Sam Mpasu, described as "unparliamentary."

      Under the late dictator Hastings Kamuzu Banda who ruled the country between
      1964 and 1994, Malawi imposed prison sentences on women who wore
      trousers or skirts that showed any part between the waist and knees. Similar
      restrictions were placed on long-haired men or those who wore flared pants.

      The stringent dress code prevented tourists from visiting Malawi despite its
      beautiful tourist attractions like a fresh lake and rolling mountains. The code
      heavily criticized by local and international rights groups.

      Despite the current changes, enshrined in the country's new constitution
      promulgated in May 1995, women wearing mini-skirts are still subjected to all
      sorts of harassment -- violence, distrust, shame and rejection.

      "His (Njobvuyalema's) statement is an insult to women of this country who have
      suffered for too long," says Emmie Chanika, executive director of the Civil
      Liberties Committee (CILIC).

      "We gave him our votes, and he decides to respond with insults," says Chanika.
      "He makes one question the integrity and maturity of some of our new
      parliamentarians."

      Malawi, with a population of 10 million people of which more than half are
      women, elected new members of parliament and head of state on June 15.
      Njobvuyalema is one of the new members who account for two-thirds of the
      193-member parliament.

      Other rights groups like the Center for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR)
      have also described Nyobvuyalema's remarks as "unfortunate."

      "Those remarks are injurious not only to his image but also to his party. People
      have not forgotten that it was the Malawi Congress Party (MCP) that enacted
      the dress code and sent several women to prison for exercising their rights,"
      says Nancy Kamwana, a businesswoman in Lilongwe.

      Zimbabwean gender activist, Stella Makanya, blamed tradition and negative
      stereotyping of women for reinforcing the tendency of men dictating what
      women should wear.

      "Women should be allowed to choose and express themselves. They should
      enjoy the same freedoms as men. Unfortunately tradition accepts whatever a
      man wears -- not for women," she says.

      Makanya says the harassment against women is more serious in rural areas
      where "women's voices are rarely heard because of their passive and subservient
      positions."

      The new dress freedom has exposed the Malawian woman to different styles
      and varieties of clothes found in designer shops that have opened in the
      country's main shopping centers of Blantyre and Lilongwe.

      Apart from the designer shops, satellite television, fashion magazines and
      travel also have enriched women's choices for clothes, eating habits and
      business practices.

      Although Njobvuyalema has since returned to parliament, his remarks have been
      taken as a reminder to show how some Malawian men still want to control
      women's lives.

      *****

      South African Man, 112, Says No to Sex, Lives Longer

      August 24, 1999
      Web posted at: 7:47 AM EDT (1147 GMT)

      JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- South African Nicklaas
      Amsterdam on Monday celebrated his 112th birthday, vowing that a life without
      sex had worked wonders for him.

      "I have never had a woman to give me a headache," Amsterdam, who lives west
      of Johannesburg, told South African papers.

      "That's how I got to live so long. I have never wanted a partner...and I
      honoured my father and mother so God could spare my life," the Citizen newspaper
      quoted Amsterdam as saying at his birthday bash at a Methodist church.

      ONElist: your connection to people who share your interests.