Peace Corps cuts pass U.S. House - BUT ITS NOT THE END OF THE STORY (See the end for suggested actions)

  • Raymond R. Wise
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 1999

      criticized for human rights abuses committed by some of its graduates in
      Latin America.

      >> It also would sharply reduce aid to the former Soviet republics and would
      >> chop aid to Russia by 50 percent unless it ends nuclear and ballistic
      >> missile cooperation with Iran.
      >>
      >> ------
      >>
      >> The bill is H.R. 2606.
      >>

      >> *****ANALYSIS AND SUGGESTED ACTION **********
      >>
      >> This Bill is likely to be vetoed by the President, forcing new Bills from
      >> both the House and Senate.
      >>
      >> Please contact your local offices for your U.S. legislators and find out
      >> when they will be in town. Ask them to work on getting appropriations at
      >> $270 million for Peace Corps Fiscal Year 2000 , so that we can begin the
      >> overseas expansion. This expansion has received BYPARTISAN LEADERSHIP
      >> support during the past 12 months. Thank your congressional staff for
      >> their past support. But also ask them not to put Peace Corps into their
      blanket cuts. This would be a noncontroversial independent act on their part.

      >> Contact the White House and urge Clinton to veto the currently passed
      >> Foreign Operations appropriation bill for FY 2000. The conference bill
      >> can't provide more then the highest appropriation recommended from the
      >> Senate and the House - and both cut the Peace Corps. In addition there
      >> are substantial cuts for all humanitarian aid.
      >>
      >> Regardless of what political party you support if you are on this mailing
      >> list then you should speak out. This is something each of us CAN do. We
      >> don't have to wait for someone else.
      >>
      >> Below is a list of the House and Senate subcommittees that work on foreign
      >> operations appropriations. If they represent you, or you have a
      >> legislator on appropriations it is important that you speak to them.
      Let's move Peace Corps back off of dead center!

      >> ------------------------ HOUSE Appropriations and subcommittee
      >>
      >> The following House members, set the Peace Corps budget, by serving on the
      >> key House Appropriations - Foreign Operations subcommittee - Republican -
      >> Regula (chair), Kolbe, Skeen, Taylor, Nethercutt, Wamp, Kingston and
      >> Lewis.
      >> Democrat - Pelosi (ranking minority member), Lowey, Jackson, Kilpatrick
      >> and Sabo.
      >>
      >> The full House Appropriations committee can change recommendations from
      >> the above subcommittee: They include: Republicans, CW Young (chair),
      Regula, Lewis, Porter, Rogers, Skeen, Wolf, DeLay, Kolbe, Parckard, Callahan,
      >> Walsh, Taylor, Hobson, Istook, Bonilla, Knollenberg, Miller, Dickey,
      Kingston, Frelinghuysen, Wicker, Forbes, Nethercutt, Cunningham, Tiahrt, Wamp,
      >> Lathan, Northup, Aderholt, Emerson, Sununu, Granger and Peterson. Democrats
      >> include - Obey (ranking member), Murtha, Dicks, Sabo, Dixon, Hoyer, Polosi,
      >> Visclosky, Lowey, Serrano. DeLauro, Moran, Olver, Pastor, Meek, Price,
      >> Edwards, Cramer, Clyburn, Hinchey, Roybal-Allard, Farr, Jackson,
      >> Kilpatrick and Boyd.
      >>
      >> --------- SENATE Appropriations and subcommittee ----
      >>
      >> The following Senate members, set the Peace Corps budget, by serving on
      >> the key Senate Appropriations - Foreign Operations subcommittee.
      Republican - McConnell (chair), Specter, Gregg, Shelby, Bennett, Campbell
      and Bond.
      >> Democrats - Leahy (ranking minority member), Inouye, Lautenberg, Harkin,
      >> Mikulski, and Murray.
      >>
      >> The full Senate Appropriations committee can change recommendations from
      >> the above subcommittee: They include: Republicans - Stevens (chair),
      >> Cochran, Specter, Domenici, Bond, Gorton, McConnell, Burns, Shelby,
      Gregg, Bennett, Campbell, Craig, Hutchinson and Kyl.
      Democrats include - Byrd (ranking minority member), Inouye, Hollings, Leahy,
      Lautenberg, Harkin, Mikulski, Reid, Kohl, Murray, Dorgan, Feinstein, and Durbin.

      >> SAVE THIS LIST FOR FUTURE ACTION. Thanks
      >>
      >> Jeff Jenks, VP Southeast Michigan Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
      >> (SEMIRPCV)
      >> former PCV - Philippines 1962 - 64
      >> 13361 Ludlow, Huntington Woods MI 48070
      >> (248) 546-3361
      Rand & Deb Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      wiserd@...
      (404) 327-5765

      How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand.