curiouser and curiouser

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 1999
      Malawian Rastas To Hold Emancipation Bash Sunday

      July 30, 1999

      Raphael Tenthani, PANA Correspondent

      BLANTYRE, Malawi (PANA) - There will be jamming and skunking to conscious reggae vibes in the Malawi
      commercial city of Blantyre on Sunday when the Rastafari community holds what is being dubbed Emancipation Day
      to commemmorate the abolition of slavery in Europe and the plantations across the Americas.

      The bash, to begin mid-morning till late afternoon at Blantyre's BAT Stadium, has been put together by a local
      promotion outfit, Ital Futali Promotions.

      Spokesman Jedde Tafari told PANA the event is being organised to show that the Rasta community in the world is
      committed to wage a war for freedom and total emancipation from all forms of bondage in Africa and the rest of the
      world.

      ''Rastas will not give up the fight for freedom and justice. Just like our brothers in Ethiopia, we will be observing this
      day in the memory of the slain pioneers of our freedom,'' he said.

      Tafari, who doubles as a vocalist and percussionist in a local reggae outfit called 'Melcheizedek Sons and
      Daughters', said various local reggae groups will spice up the day with roots reggae.

      These include Bubu Lazzy Exodus, Images, Selectors, Mystic Brothers, Tackie T., Teargas, Nyabinghi Drummers
      and, of course, Melcheizedek Sons and Daughters.

      Tafari also said the crew from one of the FM stations in Blantyre, Power 101, which has a fair share of black
      Britons of Jamaican origin (the home of Rastafarianism) will take part in the bash, the first of its kind in Malawi.

      Rasta Bongo Kushite, another member of the promotion, said the Rastafari community in Malawi would also like to
      dispel what he termed the ''stereotypical misconception'' that Rastas are ruffians and dagga-smoking hoodlums.

      ''We want peace at the show. Rastas are peaceful people. Violence is a mental problem whose solution is reggae
      music,'' he said, adding that Rastas in Malawi are inspired by such reggae legends as Bob Marley and Peter Tosh
      who used their guitars to promote peace in the world.

      Meanwhile, a statement from Ital Futali Promotions said after the Sunday bash, the following day the Rasta
      community will march through the streets of Blantyre in memory of Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia (Ras Tafari
      Makoneni).

      The late Emperor visited Malawi in 1965, a year after its independence from Great Britain in 1964, and had a main
      thoroughfare in the city named after him.

      He came, according to the statement, to congratulate Malawi's first president, Hastings Kamuzu Banda, who died in
      November 1997 at the age of 101, and the people of Malawi for successfully fighting against white imperialism.

      ''When he (Selassie) came to Malawi, he said the future of the country is upon the shoulders of the youth and we are
      going for that,'' said Ras Kushite.
    • Raymond R. Wise
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 1999
        So just how do you pronounce 'Melcheizedek'?

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 1999
          Very carefully.

          From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>

> [...]

          >Meanwhile, a statement from Ital Futali Promotions said after the Sunday
          bash, the following day the Rasta
          >community will march through the streets of Blantyre in memory of Emperor
          Haile Selassie of Ethiopia (Ras Tafari
          >Makoneni).
          >
          >The late Emperor visited Malawi in 1965, a year after its independence from
          Great Britain in 1964, and had a main
          >thoroughfare in the city named after him.
          >
          >He came, according to the statement, to congratulate Malawi's first
          president, Hastings Kamuzu Banda, who died in
          >November 1997 at the age of 101, and the people of Malawi for successfully
          fighting against white imperialism.

          >''When he (Selassie) came to Malawi, he said the future of the country is
          upon the shoulders of the youth and we are
          >going for that,'' said Ras Kushite.

          >ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

          Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
          ...and YOU can WIN $100 to Amazon.com. For details, go to
          http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html