icky news

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 1999
      I can't be the only one who thinks this is disgusting...

      Rwandans 'plan to sell
      genocide relics'

      An estimated 800,000 people died in the genocide

      Rwandan businesswomen have announced plans to sell
      relics of the 1994 genocide - including the bones and
      skulls of victims.

      The Rwandan Businesswomen's Organisation is
      planning to open a shop in Dar es Salaam, one of its
      members told Tanzania's Daily Mail newspaper.

      Florence Kamili said the items on sale would include
      video cassettes, victims' clothes and other items related
      to the bloodbath.

      The group was seeking permission from the Rwandan
      government to display and sell the bones and skulls of
      genocide victims, Ms Kamili told the newspaper.

      "All things being equal, the shop will opened next
      month," she said.

      "We have completed all the plans, but we need to get a
      clearance from the embassy of Rwanda here in Dar es
      Salaam."

      Wood carvings and tablemats

      Up to now, the organisation has dealt in a less
      gruesome sort of souvenir.

      The women were invited by an organisation called
      Women in Poverty Eradication to exhibit their wares at a
      recent trade fair in Dar es Salaam. The items on show
      included milk flasks, tablemats, wood carvings, and
      photo frames and briefcases made from banana fibre.

      "We are very much heartened by the way people were
      impressed by our handicrafts and history, despite the
      fact that we are participating in the trade fair for the first
      time," said Ms Kamili told the Daily Mail.

      An estimated 800,000 people were killed in the 1994
      genocide, in which Hutu militants attacked the Tutsi
      people and their sympathisers.