Re: Fwd: MCV News

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12 7:11 AM
      Our own Diana was, according to Lauren Dutko, supposed to be in that group as she is attending Med school in Wisconsin. Even if she wasn't actually there, I'm sure she could use our support during this time.

      From the reports I saw (and I'm not sure why I didn't forward them to the ujeni), the driver tried to beat the train over the crossing and lost.

      christine

      From: Susan_Clasby@...

      Some very sad news.
      ---------------------- Forwarded by Susan Clasby/AMS/AMSINC on 07/12/99
      09:45 AM ---------------------------

      Sue Clasby <sue_clasby@...> on 07/08/99 11:21:40 AM

      To: Susan Clasby/AMS/AMSINC
      cc:

      Subject: Fwd: MCV News

      It is sad to share with all of you who have been supporters of the Malawi
      Children's Village the news that thirteen medical students and their
      faculty
      advisor from the Wisconsin have been involved in a very serious accident on
      their trip to Lilongwe to fly home. The van they were riding in collided
      with a train in the Balaka area. There was one fatality among the
      students.
      The driver of the van also died.

      The group has been medi-vaced to Johannesburg where four of the group
      require
      additional hospitalization and treatment. At this point, they are stable.
      Arrangements are being made for the remainder, who have been treated for
      various injuries, to fly home Wed to Wisconsin. A physician on the
      Wisconsin
      clinical faculty is traveling to South Africa to stay and provide support
      those who will remain hospitalized. The medical school is coordinating
      information and plans. I will be able to provide more information as they
      inform me.

      I have talked with Megan Walsh, a former PCV in Chitipa, who helped
      organize
      the experience for the students. She, like the rest of the group, was
      shaken
      but doing the best to move forward. She wanted me to assure all those I
      had
      contact with that the experience at MCV had been an extraordinary one for
      all
      in the group. They had combined this with a program at the Mangochi
      District, were they shared in the community health training program for
      Malawi medical students. At MCV the group set up a community library and
      had
      over thirty kids coming in every day for books and to be read to. They
      also
      built a net ball court for the girls and set up a playground for the
      younger
      children. In addition, they had ample exposure in the villages, observing
      our village teams and talking to orphans and their caretakers. They also
      built a home for a grandmother taking care of orphans in one of the
      villages.
      When I talked to Megan last week she reported that the group was "having
      even a better experience than they could have anticipated." I was, of
      course, looking forward to learning more about their experiences as a group
      and as individuals.

      The Dean of the Medical School at Wisconsin said that the parents of the
      student, Michelle, who died wanted all to know that their daughter's
      fondest
      dream was to do what she had the opportunity to do this summer. They feel
      blessed with the joy that it brought her. Michelle herself had made a
      commitment to continued involvement with MCV, and according to Megan, was
      eager to return home and discuss with us more ways that she could continue
      be involved during her medical school years.

      All of us who are parents are constantly involved in the equation of
      balancing how much to protect our children and how much to push them toward
      the risk-taking that goes with healthy independence. As we have all
      experienced, this is often a tricky equation. For now, it is our task and
      commitment to assure that the positivity of this experience is not drowned
      out by the tragedy. This is something we will allbe working on in the
      days
      to come.

      I am currently unable to reach the Sibale's by phone, but it will be
      important to them to know how much they have been appreciated by the group
      and how support is being rallied to aid a group of students who quickly
      became their friends.

      I will provide more information as it comes to me. Do not hesitate to call
      for information or ways you might help.

      Kevin

      http://www.onelist.com

    • Kenneth E. Shockley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12 8:02 AM
        I hesitate to send this out. Diana is OK. I spoke to her mother, and a
        mutual friend in Madison. She was on the trip, and is shaken (obviously),
        but is OK.

        -Ken

        Kenneth Shockley
        Department of Philosophy
        Campus Box 1073
        Washington University
        St. Louis, MO 63130

      • kym walther
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12 10:40 AM
          Sue, this is terrible news, please let us know if there is anything anyone
          can do to help.