Holiday update - Bone

  • Eric Bone
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2009

      Dear Ujeni-ers,

      Another year has passed, and I have put together my annual update letter.  I encourage others to send updates as well.

      Jani umampha,

      Eric Bone

      --------------

      Holiday letter – December 2009       2815 S Abingdon St, Apt B2             Arlington, VA  22206

      Jacqui Ahn & Eric Bone                    Eric:                 703-203-6822              ithambo@...

                                                                  Jacqui:             571-286-7695              jsah23@...

      Dear Friends,

      Jacqui and I ended 2008 and began 2009 in London.  Our attempt to find work in the UK did not work out.  So we turned our trip into a long holiday, and by mid-January we were back in the Washington area.

      In March I was fortunate to be offered a job at the State Department in Washington.  However, the wheels of government human resources turn slowly, and we had no way of predicting when I would be processed through the system and allowed to start my new job.  We decided to take advantage of this time off as much as we could.  Jacqui continued to hone her artistic skills, focusing on drawing and woodwork.  I continued to do short-term contracts as a trainer for military personnel and US government officials scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan and Iraq.

      Between contracts we were able to travel.  In April we visited to Hawaii: one week on the northern island of Kauai, and one week on the southern Big Island.  We spent a lot of time in kayaks and took our first surfing lesson.

      In July I was able to visit Africa for the first time since our honeymoon in 2001.  Jacqui was not interested in riding African buses with me again, so I spent 5 weeks solo traveling in Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, and Rwanda.  I was able to visit many of my friends in Malawi from my Peace Corps days.  All were as hospitable and generous as always, and I had many fine nsima meals.

      In late August the State Department was able to bring me on board, and I began work for the office of the Science & Technology Adviser to the Secretary of State.  This office was created in 2000 to improve the integration of science within a broad range of diplomatic issues.  Since 2007, the same Adviser has also served the Administrator of the US Agency for International Development (USAID).  My job is primarily to support the Science Adviser with the USAID portfolio, so I spend most of my time working on ways to improve the efficacy of international development programs through science and technology.

      This fall it also seemed time to move out of Jacqui’s parents’ home, where we had been living off and on since 2003.  As of November we now live in our first piece of real estate: a condominium in southern Arlington.  Jacqui is searching for the appropriate mid-century modern furniture.

      We are grateful to have had a chance to see many of our friends during our travels this year.  We wish all of you best wishes for 2010.

                                                                                          Sincerely,

      Jacqui and Eric

    • pcvpcv
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
        Please contact me. I would like to place this in The Peace Corps Network Group.