Re: [ujeni] Fw: Malawi and the windmill boy

  • kristen cheney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2009
      Thanks Don and Melanie for posting William's story. I'd heard it on PRI's The World a weel or two back, but getting this in my inbox encouraged me to follow up.

      I'd like to read the book to really know the story and the language in which it is told, but Don, in regards to your query about the comment at the end of the CS article: I too think the guy has a valid criticism. That kind of racism certainly is present. I'm not sure I agree, though, that if someone in the US -- whether in a poor community or otherwise -- had taught him/herself physics and built some life-transforming piece of technology from scratch, we wouldn't hear about it (of course, some - presumably - white guy had to come along and take interest in William's windmill in order to get the word out, but...). It doesn't seem to me like the point of the story is how this "dumb African" figured out how to build a windmill! It seems to me like the story here is about how William made exceptional (as Grace used to say in PC training) "use of available resources"; made something of nothing, as it were. I study African culture partly because I'm always so amazed and perplexed by how people can (have to) be so creative in dealing with their lack of resources, whether it be building materials or an education. Maybe highlighting that kind of ingenuity will help reverse that trend so that Malawians won't have to build their own windmills to get electricity -- in no small part because it may also help reverse sterotypical notions that Africans and lazy, stupid, etc. etc.

      My two cents,

      Kristen

      On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Melanie López <enyezinimel@...> wrote:

      He was also recently on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

      Melanie (Kindsfather) Lopez

      "What is impossible with men is possible with God." - Luke 18:27

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2009
      • 1 Attachment
      • 112 KB
      I've attached a review from the magazine, The Week, about a Malawian musician's debut album that got great reviews.

      Also a link to where you can listen to the music.

      And finally, the MySpace to the band because they're on tour and hitting several cities in the US.  Hope to see you at the DC show on Nov. 2nd!