Re: [ujeni] MALAWI: Give girls a chance, adoption information

  • vyrle@onlinemac.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009

      To whomever may be reading,

      I note I focused on "rich" foreigners. Should have probably focused on
      "rich" Malawians. In my experience, notwithstanding "exploitation" by
      foreigners, the household help is less likely to be treated well in their
      own cultural setting. Wages tend to be lower, (or not paid at all, food
      and lodging deemed to be an adequate wage) and expectations for amount of
      work is higher, leaving less time for things like school. Perhaps this is
      where the department of labor could make a contribution. "Rich" families
      who hire "poor" school leavers, could be required to provide education
      benefits to their workers under a certain age, like 20, who have not
      completed the basic education provided in the country (in Malawi primary
      and secondary education). And a certain minimum wage could be required,
      just as it was in the Philippines 40 years ago.

      Now I am starting to think about ranting on about education itself. I
      better stop and wait for another day.

      Vyrle