RE: [ujeni] Malawi election results

  • Daniel Dudley
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2009
      Voting irregularities, must only happen in developing countries...oh wait.

      My wife is there and says that there is very strong support and happiness where she is (Ntcheu) for Bingu.  I was concerned because I am leading my 3rd group of 10 students there next Sunday.  But she says that everything is peaceful and happy.  Very nice to hear after all the news that Kenya had.

      Dan

      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      From: wartpiggy@...
      Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:01:22 -0400
      Subject: [ujeni] Malawi election results

      Malawi opposition admits defeat

      Malawi opposition leader Bakili Muluzi
      Opposition leader Bakili Muluzi has been a bitter foe of the incumbent

      Malawi opposition leader Bakili Muluzi has accepted that President Bingu wa Mutharika has won Tuesday's election. The UDF leader congratulated the incumbent, who has been a bitter rival. Mr Muluzi is a former president who was barred from standing for a third term.
      His party was part of an opposition coalition led by Malawi Congress Party leader John Tembo, who has not admitted defeat but challenged partial results.
      With 40% of votes counted, Mr Mutharika had a huge lead, official results show.
      The incumbent, a 75-year-old former World Bank official, has 1.3m votes against 0.5m for Mr Tembo.
      "The United Democratic Front (UDF) party and its chairman wishes the president well as he governs the country in the next five years," UDF spokesman Hophmally Makande said in the statement.
      But poll observers said the president had enjoyed an unfair advantage, including a partisan state media.
      Mr Tembo, 77, complained on Wednesday of "irregularities" as he disputed results in his party's traditional stronghold of Central Province.

      John Tembo (left) and Bingu Wa Mutharika (right)
      John Tembo (l) has not accepted any win for President Mutharika (r)
      The MCP, which governed the country for three decades, said its poll agents had been denied access to counting centres in the area.
      The election followed a five-year feud between Mr Mutharika and his predecessor Mr Muluzi that brought a failed impeachment bid, parliamentary deadlock and coup plot claims.
      Mr Muluzi lost a court battle last Saturday to be able to stand for a third term, having argued that after a break of five years he should be able to run for office again.
      The UDF leader - who is being tried on charges of embezzling $10m (£6.5m), but insists the charges are politically motivated - then endorsed Mr Tembo.
      Mr Mutharika fell out with Mr Muluzi in 2004, accusing his one-time backer of trying to stonewall an anti-corruption drive.
      The president quit his rival's party in 2005 to form the Democratic Progressive Party and lead a minority government.
      Poverty, agriculture and health care are the big issues for Malawi, where two-thirds of the population lives on less than $1 a day and Aids has orphaned an estimated one million children.

    • vyrle@onlinemac.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2009
        Voting irregularities:

        Maybe even in Florida or American Idol.

        Dan, it is gratifying to hear "normal" news from someone actually there.
        Thanks for passing it along.

        Travel well with your students and pass my greetings along to any of our
        mutual acquaintances you may chance to meet,

        Vyrle