Re: [ujeni] Packing List

  • Don Weber
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2008
      It sure is a different list than it could be 14 years ago. Some nice
      additions. Besides the electronics... the unbreakable French press! Good
      idea!

      Here are just my thoughts...

      We could always buy a great umbrella there...big and red, yellow,blue,
      green. We brought one home with us. Even the big ones don't work when the
      "real" rainy season hits. Small ones are only good for the July/Aug drizzly
      season. During the REAL rainy season you just learn to live with being wet
      and laugh with all the Malawians who are walking along with you and wet,
      too. That is a great equalizing experience, great fun. Consider a good
      poncho instead of rain jacket.

      Fitted sheets? If I were short on room and long on pounds, I'd leave them
      behind. Non-fitted sheets don't stay as well; but heck, you're not going
      into the Peace Corps to experience total comfort. I'd forget the table
      cloth. There are wonderful 2 meter pieces of the greatest fabrics that can
      be used for a limitless number of things and definitely as a table cloth.

      I'd say take the tent! A light cheap one that you can leave behind for the
      next volunteers. We had to write home to have one sent to us after deciding
      not to take one. If you ever sleep out without it, the bugs get you. We
      took sleeping bags and Therma-rest pads. Even if you never sleep out, you
      will for sure sleep on volunteer friends' floors. Cement is harder than the
      ground. The pads are great.

      Oh how I wished digital cameras existed. Film was hard! Don't even
      consider it when digital is an option. Make sure you have lots of memory
      card space! Several smaller spaced cards would be good so you can send them
      home for prints to be made to share with coworkers, friends, neighbors and
      the kids who all love to have pictures of themselves. That is unless
      printing pictures is easier there now. Maybe you'll be able to make CDs of
      pictures... probably can at the Peace Corps office...and send them home for
      prints to be made. Gee, things have changed!

      Along with hobbies and cards...other games that you can play with friends
      you make there and neighbor kids are good. UNO and Yahtzee were popular.
      They are great ways to pass the time and enjoy the company of others.
      Everyone, young and old, seemed to like Jinga but it's heavy. You might
      have someone mail it to you, though I know postage has gotten really high.
      Jigsaw puzzles. Have them out and started, everyone who comes in can't
      resist trying to find and fit a few pieces.

      If you are an avid reader, I'd take more than one or 2 books. You may not
      always be able to get to the Peace Corps office often enough to exchange
      them, depending on where your site is. Books are hard to buy in Malawi.
      Have friends and family who know your taste in books be prepared to send
      them regularly. You could even buy a supply ahead and have them sent at
      intervals.

      You won't take everything you need and you won't need everything you take
      but it doesn't matter. It all works out. Hope you have as wonderful an
      experience and have the chance to make as many Malawian and Peace Corps
      friends as we did. It's a truly a warm and welcoming place.

      Cathy Weber.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
        Thanks for the reply.  I am sure you felt unsure about what to expect and what to bring.  I lived in Indonesia for a while so I am not new to impoverished nations, but still this is not Indonesia.  Anyhow, thanks for the heads up.  I have been assigned to forestry/ parks expasion.  Do you know any details about this?

        Thanks again for the heads up,

        Greg Clements

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional