Re: [ujeni] South Africa or Vietnam Expats?

  • Elizabeth Bell
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
      Re: [ujeni] South Africa or Vietnam Expats? Hey John,

      We are considering positions with CDC in both Pretoria and Saigon.  Dave has been talking to a customer of his who is South African and recently moved the States and is freaking him out about the violent crime there (a very legitimate and concerning issue, but my impression is that white South African expats often do not have the most balanced view of their home country), so I think he is leaning towards Vietnam now.

      Would you live there with your family again?  How much did the crime level impact your daily life (we have small kids so it is unlikely we would be venturing out much after 8pm anyway).  We would also have embassy housing. - do you know much about that?    Any other details re: quality of life/lifestyle you could pass along, especially or families with young kids, would be helpful.

      Thanks,
      Liz

      On 4/15/08 4:08 PM, "John Patten" <jppatten98@...> wrote:

      Geez, I don't even know where I lived. Make that from
      '03-04. I was in Afghanistan after that. Must have got
      hit in the head. But I can still advise on fairly
      recent life in Pretoria.

      --- John Patten <jppatten98@... <mailto:jppatten98%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

      > Hi Liz,
      >
      > Eriko and I lived in Pretoria '04-06.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > JP
      >

      > --- Elizabeth Bell <elizabeth_bell@... <mailto:elizabeth_bell%40comcast.net> >
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I would be interested in talking with anyone who
      > is
      > > currently (or very
      > > recently) living in South Africa (esp. Pretoria)
      > or
      > > Vietnam (esp.
      > > HCMC/Saigon).
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Liz

    • Elizabeth Bell
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
        Baby Tevas Sorry about that guys, meant to just send it to John.

        But since I have your attention:  we have one pair of Baby Tevas for any little future PCVs out there.  They are a size 4/5, red with little zebras.  They came to us from Deb, Rand and Ben Wise (the original PC Malawi baby).  They are in great shape as the little buggers out grow them so quickly!

        If anyone is interested just let me know where to mail ‘em!  I just like the idea of keeping them in the Peace Corps Baby family.

        Liz

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2008
          I got peeps in both places...Can I give them your email???

          To: ujeni@onelist.com; ujeni@yahoogroups.com

        • Elizabeth Bell
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16, 2008
            Re: [ujeni] South Africa or Vietnam Expats? BRING ON THE PEEPS!

            On 4/16/08 5:50 AM, "Paul DEVER" <pcpaul@...> wrote:

            I got peeps in both places...Can I give them your email???

            To: ujeni@onelist.com; ujeni@yahoogroups.com

            More immediate than e-mail? Get instant access with Windows Live Messenger. <http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_instantaccess_042008>

          • Luz Huntington
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 18, 2008
              Hey Liz
              Just an FYI, I went ahead and sent the baby tevas out to CALI to a Lesotho RPCV. Catalina got alot of use out of them last summer. Thanks so much.

              Hey McNulty,
              Congrats on the upcoming third child!! You are much braver than I! Love to your family.

              Luz

              To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
              From: elizabeth_bell@...
              Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:02:22 -0400