Re: Democracy

  • Vyrle Owens
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 1999

      Some one, more than one, or all you may be interested in this:

      "The Ten Arts of Democracy

      1. ACTIVE LISTENING. Carry no hidden or fixed agenda. Ask probing
      questions. Take in more than just the words being said; see the world
      from another's perspective."

      2. CREATIVE CONFLICT. Give constructive, honest feedback."

      3. NEGOTIATING INTERESTS. Focus on interests, not the means to achieve
      them. Work to narrow differences, searching for common ground or a
      solution that meets some intersts of each party."

      4. MEDIATION. Have a neutral, nonjudgmental party facilitate among
      disputants, listening to bring differences to the surface and asking
      questions to discover common interests."

      5. POLITICAL IMAGINATION. Reimagine the current reality to more nearly
      match the values and needs of participants."

      6. PUBLIC DIALOGUE. Facilitate public conversation onmatters that affect
      us all."

      7. PUBLIC JUDGMENT. Derive solutions interactively using discriminating
      reason."

      8. EVALUATION AND REFLECTION. Make both publlic and private assessments
      of the lessons learned."

      9. CELEBRATION AND APPRECIATION. Acknowledge the satisfaction and joy
      that comes with learning, as well as the achievements made."

      10. MENTORING. Demonstrate the arts of democracy to others, breaking
      learning down into doable steps."

      The above were at the bottom of page 26 in the summer 1999 issue of Orion
      Afield. I do not have a more complete bibliographic reference since my
      page is a photocopy. Perhaps some of you have heard of the referenced
      publication.

      In any case I think they are thought provoking concepts worthy of being
      shared.

      To Paul, Thanks for the story of your recent desert adventure. Always
      grateful for a safe return.

      To Christine, Thanks for the keeping us up-to-date in Malawi. Sometimes
      it is hard to decide whether to laugh or cry.

      To everyone else, Keep up the good work.

      Vyrle