RE: [ujeni] Zimbabwe

  • Cull, Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2008
      Just like Kenya, Zim was once a great up and coming "developing" nation.  It too has sunken to lows that no one could ever have imagined.  I was in Zim in late 2004 and I made a point to change some Kwacha to U.S. dollars, thinking I'd get a better exchange rate in Zim with the strong U.S. economy; ironically it was just the opposite; the Kwacha brought me a greater return than the U.S. dollar.  Makes sense to me now though...people travel from Harare to Blantyre to purchase goods and then bring them back into Zim.

      I would love to travel back for the 2010 World Cup (soccer) taking place in South Africa and neighboring countries but aside from overly priced Botswana, I don't feel it's worth the trip at this point.  The countries are either racked with crime and corruption or crazy unstable economies.
      I wish for the best but I'm doubtful things will get better within our lifetimes.

      From: dweber@...
      Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:00:26 -0800
      Subject: [ujeni] Zimbabwe

      Zimbabwe.  In the last month, the black market exchange rate has risen from Z$2 million to the $1 to Z$7.5 million  to the $1.   (And to think we only got Z$10 for a $1)

      Mr Mugabe is standing for re-election next month against three confirmed challengers.   (Can't imagine a valid or peaceful election)

      Poor, poor Zimbabwe.  I keep wondering about the McCrackens.
      Cathy