Re: [ujeni] Pictures from Christine: Malawi trip

  • Elizabeth Bell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
      Re: [ujeni] Pictures from Christine: Malawi trip Thanks so much for sharing these Christine – it was nice to see my old strip of tarmac (Ntcheu).

      Be well,
      Liz

      Pictures for you!  <http://www.shutterfly.com/?emid=sharview&linkid=link1>

      From: Christine Chumbler

      Greetings all!  I was very fortunate to just return from a work trip to
      Malawi, my first time back since leaving in '97.  Thought you might
      like to see some of the pics. Some explanations: Doro is my
      counterpart's daughter and I'm putting her thru school. Vincent is the
      gentleman I hired to drive me down to Liwonde/Zomba. Liwonde is where
      my counterpart (Sam) and his family live now. And Zomba, of course, is
      where the host family live.  Lilongwe looks like it has a lot more
      money now (mini-golf!), but the rest of the country is much as I
      remember it.  Plus cell phones.  Everyone I spoke with is very much in
      favor of the new(ish) government. TV Malawi is goofy.  And it was great
      to speak Chichewa again (such as I could).  All in all, a wonderful

      trip.  Thank you, US taxpayers!

      Pictures from Christine Chumbler

      <http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZs2jRq1YsWFY&emid=sharview&linkid=link4>
       <http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZs2jRq1YsWFY&emid=sharview&linkid=link3>

       <http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZs2jRq1YsWFY&emid=sharview&linkid=link2>
      (1 of 34 pictures)

      If selecting "See pictures" doesn’t work, copy-and-paste this address into your browser:
      http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZs2jRq1YsWFY <http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZs2jRq1YsWFY&emid=sharview&linkid=link5>

       <http://www.shutterfly.com/shop/product_c10004-p2015/Prints_Prepaids_Prepaid_4x6_Plans>

    • Don Weber
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
        Greetings Christine...

        Really enjoyed pictures, thanks.  How long were you there?  What were you doing for work?  We've heard from Alan de Brauw who was recently back there for work and talked by telephone to our host mother, Rosemary N'goma (in Florida recently visiting her daughter).  They both said that the vendors are gone from the streets.  When we were back in 2004 they had become so thick , that instead of being a good, cheap way to buy Plastico and every manner of goods, they almost totally blocked foot traffic.

        Alan said he saw some good changes, and Rosemary said she thinks that Mutharika is doing a good job.  How did you feel about what you saw?   We miss it and hope we'll get back again someday.

        Cathy

        Greetings all! I was very fortunate to just return from a work trip to
        Malawi, my first time back since leaving in '97. Thought you might
        like to see some of the pics. Some explanations: Doro is my
        counterpart's daughter and I'm putting her thru school. Vincent is the
        gentleman I hired to drive me down to Liwonde/Zomba. Liwonde is where
        my counterpart (Sam) and his family live now. And Zomba, of course, is
        where the host family live. Lilongwe looks like it has a lot more
        money now (mini-golf!) , but the rest of the country is much as I
        remember it. Plus cell phones. Everyone I spoke with is very much in
        favor of the new(ish) government. TV Malawi is goofy. And it was great
        to speak Chichewa again (such as I could). All in all, a wonderful
        trip. Thank you, US taxpayers!

        Pictures from Christine Chumbler

        See pictures
        See pictures
        (1 of 34 pictures)

        If selecting "See pictures" doesn’t work, copy-and-paste this address into your browser:
        http://share. shutterfly. com/action/ welcome?sid= 0IZs2jRq1YsWFY

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Kym Walther
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
          Christine,
          This is fabulous!!!  thank you so much for sharing!!  Makes me so happy just to see the pictures!

          Hope you all are well!

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2008
            Hi Cathy,
            The USAID mission in Lilongwe requested that I go out to train their new communications officer and help them develop a communications strategy to get the word out about all the work the USG does in the country.  Twist my arm.  So I was in Lilongwe about 2 weeks, and then took a long weekend at the end to go down to Liwonde and Zomba.  I didn't get as far as Blantyre and so didn't get to see the old site (Michiru); that'll have to happen next trip.

            Your sources are correct.  There are indeed very few street vendors.  The curio sellers have been removed from the main PTC in City Center (which is no longer a shopping hub) and are confined to the area in front of the old post office.  And the sidewalks are completely clear in Old Town.  There are also more new restaurants in Lilongwe than I could shake a stick at.

            Every Malawian I spoke with was very enthusiastic about the Mutharika government.  The Americans there are a little more suspect about potential "African big man" tendancies.  Malawi also just went from being a Taiwan supporter to a China supporter, which raised more than a few eyebrows.  Nonetheless, my host mother, who is a teacher in a govt school in Zomba, said she had definitely noticed improvements in support for schools, feeding programs, textbooks, etc.  If there's actual improvement on the ground, I guess it's hard to find fault.  Pang'ono pang'ono...

            To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
              Christine,
              Thanks so much for sharing your photos. Very nice. Makes me wonder when Rob and I will try to head back with kids in tow?
              Luz

              To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
              From: wartpiggy@...
              Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:12:07 -0800