RE: [ujeni] My 2007 Holiday contribution, Christmas Cookies 2, Oatmeal

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
      Excellent recipe./..Always good to keep the sugar limit low on the trolls in the house.....I guess that is why our daughter wanted me to read her a story at 10:30 last night.....

      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      From: vyrle@...
      Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:16:43 -0800
      Subject: [ujeni] My 2007 Holiday contribution, Christmas Cookies 2, Oatmeal

      Dear all,

      No major travel this year, some noteable accomplishments which have been reported, so the holiday update will be confined to a simple culinary adventure.

      Merry Christmas to all,

      Vyrle

      Cookies 2, Oatmeal

      The experience reported herein is based on the “Oatmeal Cookies” recipe in the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook, 12th Edition.  (This is to give credit where credit is due and to avoid charges of plagiarism.)    But there are some notable additions and minor changes:   And perhaps even some useful information.

      1.         Start by putting the 1999 CD edition of the Eagles’ 1976 LP “Hotel California” in the CD player and set the volume at a modest level.

      2.         Soften a cube of butter (1/2 cup) in the micro-wave for 20 seconds.  Put the softened butter in the mixing bowl, set the mixer at medium, and add ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil.  (The purpose of the olive oil is to reduce cholesterol and saturated fat.)   Beat for 30 seconds or until the oil-butter mixture is smooth.

      3.         Add 1 cup of packed brown sugar (dark brown in this case).

      4.         Add ½ cup of granulated sugar.

      5.         Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder

      6.         Add ¼ teaspoon baking soda

      7.         Add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon ( I used a generous ½ tsp.)

      8.         Add ¼  teaspoon ground cloves (I used a generous amount here also.)

      By the time all of this stuff is added it should be well mixed.  Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl, and

      9.         Add 2 eggs (I used the brown, omega-three, “healthy” eggs, mostly because that is all we had in the fridge.)

      10.       Add 1 teaspoon vanilla  (The bottle said it was the real stuff.)

      11.       Mix in 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour  (They never say to sift the flour, but I have learned from experience (long ago) that sifting the flour is a good idea.  There is a story here, to be shared another time, unless I have forgotten it has been told.)

      12        Mix in 2 cups of rolled oats

      This is the basic stuff of the oatmeal cookies and under normal circumstances would suffice.  But I am feeling the need for adventure and exploration so exercised a few options.

      13.       Add about ¾ cup of dark chocolate chips,

      14.       Add about a cup of walnuts, chopped, and

      15.       Add about ¾ cup of golden raisins.  (Not quite as sweet as regular raisins.)

      Somewhere along the way to this step the oven has been preheated to 375 degrees fahrenheit and should be ready to receive the first batch of cookies.

      Place 1 inch drops (or little balls if you prefer) of cookie dough on the parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place the cookie sheet in the oven (middle shelf) and bake for 10 minutes.  This batch of cookies will turn out beautifully.

      Prepare second sheet of cookies (assuming you have two cookie sheets in play).  Place in oven after the first batch completes the 10 minute baking.

      Remove the first batch, cool for a minute or two, place finished cookies on a cooling rack.  Prepare the cookie sheet with another batch of cookies.  Pour a small glass of chilled sparkling apple juice and sample the first batch of cookies.  Adjust the baking time to suit your tastes.  (I increased the baking time to 11 minutes.)

      The music will have stopped by this time but you will be so busy savoring the new taste sensation you will not notice.

      Continue the baking process until the dough is gone.  Eat no more than 4 cookies.

      This recipe yielded 45 cookies.  After taste testing the net yield was 41 cookies.

      While waiting for the last two batches to bake, clean-up the kitchen and wash the utensils.  If the timing works out everything will be done at about the same time and you can sit down and record the experience to share with your friends, who may or may not be interested.

      Observations:  The 10 minute bake yielded a nice chewy cookie, but I thought it was a bit doughy in the center.  The 11 minute bake yielded a slightly crispier, drier cookie but it seemed to be baked more thoroughly.  We will see how they keep over the next day or two (if they last that long).

      Other thoughts:  If young children or grandchildren are supervising or participating, you may want to modify the music, the process, or the tasting.  Lots of sugar and calories in these things.

      Isn’t this better than iterations of heart surgery adventures?

      Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!
    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        Quick question- are you supposed to start the CD at a
        particular time when you start in on the butter? I was
        thinking of the whole Pink Floyd Dark Side of the
        Moon/Wizard of Oz thing and was wondering if the dark
        chocolate is timed with the scarier parts of the album
        like "you can check out anytime you like but you can
        never leave, etc."

        The photo of the cookies I think is a bit evil. It
        looks like they have eyes and faces and their cookie
        souls got caught in a whole Eagles/Pillsbury hell. I
        didn't see Mary anywhere in there.

        --- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > clean-up the kitchen and wash the utensils. If the
        > timing works out everything will be done at about
        > the same time and you can sit down and record the
        > experience to share with your friends, who may or
        > may not be interested.
        >
        > Observations: The 10 minute bake yielded a nice
        > chewy cookie, but I thought it was a bit doughy in
        > the center. The 11 minute bake yielded a slightly
        > crispier, drier cookie but it seemed to be baked
        > more thoroughly. We will see how they keep over the
        > next day or two (if they last that long).
        >
        > Other thoughts: If young children or grandchildren
        > are supervising or participating, you may want to
        > modify the music, the process, or the tasting. Lots
        > of sugar and calories in these things.
        >
        > Isn’t this better than iterations of heart surgery
        > adventures?

        > Put your friends on the big screen with Windows

      • Vyrle Owens
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        • Luz Huntington
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007

            Thanks for sharing this article. It's really nice to hear positive news.
            Luz

            To: mcnurty@...
            From: mcnurty@...
            Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:35:53 -0800