Support/Join Me in NYC GuluWalk

  • kristen cheney
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      PLEASE HELP WAR-AFFECTED CHILDREN IN NORTHERN UGANDA!

      On Saturday, October 20th, I am walking for the children of northern Uganda in GuluWalk New York City. I will also be speaking at the event about my research with children in northern Uganda and how we might help them. But even if you can't be there, you can still help me.

      In the midst of this 21-year conflict in northern Uganda, over 1.4 million people have been displaced, and this has been hardest on the children. These displaced children have been forced into abhorrent conditions in camps where hundreds of people are dying every week because of a lack of clean water, food and medical care.

      GuluWalk is focused on providing a future for the abandoned children of northern Uganda. That's why I am walking and I need your help. It is estimated that for every one year of war, it takes a society ten years to recover. Because they've been directly targeted in this conflict, the children of northern Uganda face great obstacles to peace and recovery. I am walking to tell this story and to fundraise in support of children's programs that focus on education, rehabilitation and youth outreach.

      Visit
      www.guluwalk.com for more information or click on the link below to sponsor me now.

      https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/StartUp.aspx?SID=1652721

      Thank you in advance for your support! And if you'll also be in New York that weekend for the African Studies Association meetings or you happen to live nearby, I encourage you bring your walking shoes and join me! Go to http://guluwalk.com/newyork/ for more information and sign up to be an icon for children in northern Uganda!

      Peace,

      Kristen Cheney, PhD
      Asst Prof of Anthropology
      University of Dayton

      --
      "The rainmaker who doesn't know what he's doing will be found out by the lack of clouds."
      -- Luganda Proverb