Re: **Possible_Spam** [ujeni] Kids

  • kristen cheney
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
      Cathy and Don write, "It seems as if it is now a country that people have heard of...actually, America seems a little more aware of Africa, and not just the National Geographic picture image."

      I think we partially have Madonna to thank for raising Malawi's profile -- and Brangelina for Africa in general. But that raises a whole different (yet equally problematic) representation of Africa. Hmm, sounds like an article for a polemic professor to write...

      LOVE all the kid pictures!

      Peace,

      Kristen Cheney
      Asst Prof of Anthropology

      --
      "The rainmaker who doesn't know what he's doing will be found out by the lack of clouds."
      -- Luganda Proverb
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007

         Must… resist… I can’t do it. The only thing more annoying than a proud father is one with a digital camera and email.

      • Don and Cathy Weber
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2007
          Kristen, sorry for delayed response; we've been gone more than home lately.  You're right, of course, about part of the increase in information being in response to Madonna, et.al.

          I object to a lot of the glitz publicity and what it chooses to show of Africa and believe it will set a picture in many people's minds of what "Africa" is.  But I thought a lot about it and changed my thinking along the way about its effects.

          Is it a bad thing when Americans finally see articles such as a recent one on Malawians weighing environmental concerns vs. economic benefits of uranium extraction; because Malawi is finally a place Americans have heard of and, therefore, has become newsworthy?  Of course, maybe it's China's interest that is spawning coverage.  It just seems as if whatever it is, no matter how frivolous or unbalanced, that leads to Americans being able to receive valid, valuable information and read serious discourse about Africa, it can't be all bad.  I like to believe that thinking Americans will filter the information.

          Cathy