Chihana is dead

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006
      I just ran across this by accident in the NY Times. My most endearing memory
      of Chihana will be from accompanying Ambassador Chavez when they had a meeting
      at the Chombe Hotel. We stayed for lunch, but Chihana served me and two
      other PCVs at a small table to the side... the "kids table" if you will.

      June 15, 2006
      Chakufwa Chihana, 67, Malawi Politician, Is Dead
      By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
      BLANTYRE, Malawi, June 14 (Agence France-Presse) ? Malawi's leading pro-democracy
      campaigner, Chakufwa Chihana, died Monday in South Africa. He was 67.

      Mr. Chihana died in a hospital "after an abortive surgery to remove a brain
      tumor," said his son Enoch. Mr. Chihana was an archrival of the nation's
      founder, Kamuzu Banda. A former trade union leader and human rights advocate,
      Mr. Chihana vehemently opposed Mr. Banda's three-decade dictatorial rule
      of the southern African nation. In the 1970's, Mr. Chihana was detained
      for six years without trial.

      He led the country's first underground political movement, which, with international
      support, pressed Mr. Banda to call for a referendum on political pluralism.
      That culminated in the first multiparty elections, in 1994.

      Mr. Banda's iron-fisted rule was characterized by human rights abuses. According
      to some estimates, up to 100,000 Malawians were forced into exile during
      his tenure.

      Mr. Chihana served as second vice president under Mr. Banda's successor,
      Bakili Muluzi, and his death was mourned by the current president, Bingu
      wa Mutharika, in an official statement. He was to receive a state funeral.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006
        I always thought (and still do), that all government official s should send
        their kids to local schools, only go to local hospitals, and only ride local
        transportation.

        This way, they would have a vested interest in developing the country.

        Pipe dream, I know...but......