Christine's articles on vendors

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2006
      12 years ago Limbe was our town. That's where we did the majority of our shopping, banking and customs runs to get our prizees from home. Have great memories of Limbe, our 2nd home.

      Walking the streets of Limbe 2 years ago bordered on frightening. There were literally "wall to wall" vendors so it was difficult to make your way through them. There'd be 10 vendors in a row selling shoes and then another large group selling clothes, etc.,etc. All of this was happening on both sides of the main street and the lower street.   My antennas were up because I kept looking out for the thieves who had ripe pickin's with the 4 azungas (sp)? meandering down the blocks. It was not comfortable which was the antitheses of walking the streets in 94-96.

      We did see Rey Sampaga's finished product--Limbe Market and if he ever returned he'd be proud of his contributions in its' construction. What our grandson's remember about the market was its' chimbudzi. It was ripe. They talked about it so much I had to check it out.  Ah, the good old smells, reminiscent of Wanella and other memorable bus stations.

      Anyway I do hope the well meaning officials can wrest away the streets from the multitude of vendors who have created chaos out of what used to be order. I can remember all of us talking about buying something absolutely useless but it was such a good deal we couldn't pass it up.  Dealing with the street vendors then was non-threatening and usually fun.  Don

    • Don & Cathy Weber
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2006
        Don,

        I only agree with you in part.  I remember during training that when you MUG people were doing the street vendor project, Saral Waldorf commented that in all the underdeveloped parts of the world street vending is an important informal economic sector.  It gives people at least some income and purpose, people who would otherwise have nothing.   In Malawi, didn't many of those street vendors get their wares from some of the the very businesses that they parked in front of?

        I agree with the vendors' complaint...being shunted off to a location away from where the foot traffic might normally be, isn't to their advantage.

        However, you're right about the problems caused in Limbe by the radical increase in the number of street  vendors.  It was almost impossible to walk on the sidewalks and moving out into the street wasn't a safe option.  Besides, with dozens of shoe vendors, how many shoes can each vendor sell in a day?  Not enough to make much of a living, surely.

        So in my opinion, the best case scenario would be a controlled number of vendors on any given sidewalk.  Or is that essentially what you were saying...with fewer vendors those 10 years ago, it worked well enough?  But then who will ever be able to control the numbers, and how will they divvy up the sidewalk fairly?

        Cathy

        companies