Re: [ujeni] Christine's contributions

  • Felix Edwards
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
      I was in Malawi earlier this year and while much has changed, much remains the same.  As to what Don is talking about, while there I was impressed with what the President is trying to do, turning round a rampantly corrupt system and professionalising govt, but this is a long, long process and is not helped by donors who have been used to ruling the roost.  Put simply he is pissing off all the people who should be pissed if he is doing things right.
      I met with the Education Minister, Kate Kainja and when I asked her about this she was quick to respond, saying that for the last 12 years donors have had their say, but now she is working to take ownership back to the Ministry and get the donors working with them rather than vice versa.
      When you hear stories of corruption please remember to look at who is saying what.  There is a lot of politicking going on and personal interest shines through, UDF are running scared, Muluzi in particular, and the President is playing a long hard game (and slowly winning) in attacking what has gone on before.  Govt is slowly changing, the civil service is becoming more professional, but it is happening under the cloud of what went on before.  I returned from my visit cautiously optimistic, but will be watching things carefully.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
        Don, in your penultimate paragraph, you split an infinitive...Shall I send
        you my copy of Strunk & White?

        Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
          John, John, John....whatever happened to the cynic in you? They located the
          corruption and corruptors, and got paid off.....

          --- Don & Cathy Weber <weber@...> wrote:

          > Though I continue to appreciate news of Malawi via
          > Christine, I continue to stay frustrated by the
          > government's priorities which seem to feathering
          > their own nests (Parliamentarians & Ministers) and
          > empowering their respective political parties. Then
          > I read 2 articles---Malawi: The Hidden Costs of
          > Deforestation (April 3) and Malawi: Do-Gooders Pave
          > the Road to Malawian Hell (April 11) and get further
          > frustrated.
          >
          > I remember all the hand ringing and then subsequent
          > schemes dealing with deforestation. I remember
          > reading all could about Malawi after getting our
          > Peace Corps assignment and finding out, among other
          > things, it was dubbed the Switzerland of Africa
          > because of its' lush forests. I remember arriving in
          > Blantyre and after seeing the "naked" Ndarande
          > Mountain being told it was tree lined only a few
          > years before. I also recall hearing of schemes
          > involving education, enforcement and reforestation.
          > That was 12 years ago.
          >
          > The April 11th opinion piece underscores the
          > government's reliance on outside resources to
          > "solve" problems thus abdicating their
          > responsibility to directly tackle the issues that
          > are sustaining an impoverished society. To me the
          > most egregious abdication is lack of oversight on
          > enforcement. As a result the enforcers can't or
          > won't enforce and the self defeating practices of
          > the populace goes on.
          >
          > Please excuse the rant. I felt the need. Thank you
          > Christine for the continued pipeline to The Warm
          > Heart of Africa. Don

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Don & Cathy Weber
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006
            Thanks for the words of encouragement. When we were in Malawi a couple of years ago I did feel a sense of optimism with the new Presidents' goals, the fact Maluzi was unsuccessful in circumventing the Constitution so he could run for a 3rd term and a general attitude that this was yet another "new beginning" for Malawi. What frustrates me, therefore, is reading of the continuous haranguing by the Old Guard when they should finally be accepting change and channeling some energies toward creating a better life for Malawians.

            Keep us posted Felix. I don't like being a curmudgeon.   Don