Another variant of the chemistry exam

  • Vyrle Owens
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2006

      I think we have seen a version of this before, but this one is new to me.

      Vyrle

      It came through to me via 4 different senders and the origin is missing at this point.  I wonder where it actuall started?

      The following is an actual question given on a   University of   Washington chemistry   mid-term exam. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor   shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now   have the pleasure of enjoying it as well. Here is the "Bonus Question" on the   exam:

      Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic   (absorbs heat)? Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's   Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.   One student, however, wrote the following:

      First, we need to   know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at   which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think   that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.

      Therefore, no souls   are leaving. As for how many souls are! Entering Hell, let's look at the   different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state   that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there   is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than   one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death   rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase   exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because   Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to   stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are   added.

      This gives two   possibilities:

      1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate   at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will   increase until all Hell breaks loose.

      2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the   increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until   Hell freezes over.

      So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me   by Teresa (a girlfriend of mine during my Freshman year) that, "it will be a   cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I   slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that   Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is   that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more   souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the   existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting   "Oh my God."

      THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY   "A+"!!