Did you say 99,000!!

  • Matthew McNulty
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2006
      Don, Cathy,
      Did I see that correctly?!?
      The zim dollars that I have sitting in front of me are really that worthless.  At least they still remind me of me one hell of a trip and some great times.  I guess that I will keep them...
      Matt

      Yahoo! Mail
    • Don & Cathy Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2006
        I have a confession but you have to hear my story which accompanies the confession.

        At close of service we came home via Harare. Cathy attended a 3 day conference for regional physical therapists and I took on the responsibilities of social director for the two of us. We shopped, we ate, we browsed and just soaked in the atmosphere of the city that recharged the batteries of all of us who took advantage of it for R&R. We loved Harare but knew that in a few days we would be forever loving Harare from afar.

        Now, in addition to being the social director, I assumed the responsibilities of the banker as well. Knowing that in a few days, "we would be forever loving Harare from afar", I made sure my exchanges for Zim dollars were going to be right down to having just enough left for the taxi to the airport. Old Mr. Slick was constantly counting money and calculating. I was proud of myself because according to my calculations, "I done good".

        About 6 months after we returned home and reacclimated ourselves to the fast pace of our hometown (Snelling, CA, Pop. 300) I was rummaging around a dresser drawer. I saw one of my travel wallets. I opened it. Now since all of you know where this story is going, my confession is a foregone conclusion.

        Matt, your E-mail prompted me to go back to that wallet. As I write this E-mail I have the tragic reminder sitting on the desk---979 Zim Dollars. It WAS a lot of money wasn't it. It still brings Mr. Slick to the brink of tears.

        Do you think Paul might reimburse me so I can remove this trauma once and for all?   Don

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2006
          Sure...let me cut a penny into ten pieces and give you ONE piece......

          The zim dollars that I have sitting in front of me are really that
          worthless. At least they still remind me of me one hell of a trip and some
          great times. I guess that I will keep them...
          Matt

          Yahoo! Mail

          Inner peace Peace Peace sign

          Service.

        • Daniel Dudley
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2006

            Matt, I still have Z$2, wow is that worthless, but it still reminds me of a wonderful trip of playing bridge anywhere and everywhere and the worst case of rumbly tumbly that I have ever had.

            I also remember a comic in Newsweek while we were there when the Peso was devaluing.  A guy had a pickup full of pesos that he was planning to use for soil and the caption was that a truck full of pesos was cheaper than dirt.  I guess that the same thing could be said about Zim Dollars.  What a shame!!! Zimbabwe was such a wonderful place to visit after being in Malawi for such a long time.  I am reading a book now called "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller.  It is a memoir of a little white farmer girl in Zimbabwe around the time of the fight for independence and afterwards (70's-80's).  The family even spent some time in Malawi the father met Banda.  It is a good read.

            Dan

            From: "Don & Cathy Weber" <weber@...>
            To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:58:32 -0800

            I have a confession but you have to hear my story which accompanies�the confession.
            ?lt;/div>
[...]
            About? months�after we returned home and reacclimated ourselves to the fast pace of our hometown (Snelling, CA, Pop. 300) I was rummaging around a dresser drawer. I saw one of my travel wallets. I opened it. Now since all of you know where this story is going, my confession is a foregone conclusion.
            ?lt;/div>
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 13, 2006
              OK, every once in a while we'll get on a roll about Malawi memories, here's a few HRR ones:

              -Ah, the Harare R&R:  the bakeries!  the ice cream!  the movie theatres!  the Estee Lauder!
              -attending an open air play in the park, buying a couple of small oil paintings at the Zim National Art Gallery (they are hanging in my kitchen, even as we type)
              -running into a group of Zim PCVs and spending all one weekend watching movies at the Harare Peace Corps Office (they had a key or knew the door combo or something).
              -McCrackens, affectionately known as the Crack House (I suppose Mrs. McCracken is long gone by now, I remember arriving at her doorstep and her saying "Oh yes, Malawi volunteers, all they want to do is eat and watch movies".  Twas true.)
              -dancing until the wee hours to Andy Brown and the Storm (Emma Spenner aka The Energizer Bunny)
              -restaurants that took credit cards!
              -stocking up on olive oil, spices, South African box wine and other gourmet sundrys at the Indian shops.

              I went back for a meeting a few years ago and it felt different, none of that optimistic bustle and excitement I remembered - very depressed, almost no mzungus on the streets at all, alot of the great shops (The Trading Company etc) were gone, lots of buildings projects half finish and abandoned.  Granted I was only there for a few days, but that was my impression.

              What a waste.

              Now, we won't even go into all the rafting, flying, jumping, paddling, hiking and sundowning we all did in, on, over, above and around Vic Falls.  That is a whole 'nother email trail my friends....