Torino Olympics medal count analysis

  • Eric Bone
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006
      Vyrle's mention of the analysis of relative Olympic success reminded
      me that I had done such an analysis for the 2004 games. So I did one
      for the 2006 games today.

      The top five countries in total medals were:
      1. Germany
      2. US
      3. Canada
      4. Austria
      5. Russia

      The top five in golds were:
      1. Germany
      2 (tie). US
      2 (tie). Austria
      4. Russia
      5 (tie). Canada
      5 (tie). Sweden

      Suppose you look at the ratio of medals won to the size of the
      population. Then you get:
      1. Norway
      2. Austria
      3. Estonia
      4. Switzerland
      5. Finland

      And the ratio of golds to population gives you:
      1. Estonia
      2. Austria
      3. Sweden
      4. Switzerland
      5. Norway

      It's not clear to me the best way to form a "success per unit of
      wealth" ratio. If we choose to look at the ratio of medals to GDP we get:
      1. Estonia
      2. Norway
      3. Austria
      4. Croatia
      5. Finland

      And for the ratio of golds to GDP, we get:
      1. Estonia
      2. Austria
      3. Sweden
      4. Croatia
      5. Switzerland

      However, suppose we decide to measure wealth not by GDP, but by "GDP
      per person." Then the medals-to-wealth ratio gives us:
      1. Russia
      2. China
      3. Germany
      4. Canada
      5. Austria

      And golds-to-wealth gives us:
      1. Russia
      2. Germany
      3. China
      4. South Korea
      5. Austria

      If anyone would like me to send them the Excel spreadsheet where I
      worked this out, let me know.

      Regards,
      Eric