news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Mar 2, 2006
      'Hold Local Polls Now'

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 28, 2006
      Posted to the web February 28, 2006

      ARNOLD MNELEMBA AND MORRIS MVINYO
      Lilongwe

      Opposition parties and political commentators in the country have accused the government of lying to the Commonwealth and other international donors when it says that Local Government Elections will be held this year, saying President Bingu wa Mutharika and his administration have already decided to defer the polls to 2009. This, they say is underhanded, undemocratic and certainly unconstitutional.

      The Malawi Congress Party (MCP) President John Tembo warned the government about its failure to hold the local government elections this year, saying that this is a gross violation of the Constitution. "We are very worried as a party when we hear news that government is dilly-dallying on the issue of funding Local Government Elections. They should know that failure to do that will be a violation of the constitution. We must have the elections immediately," said Tembo.

      Rafiq Hajat, Executive Director for the Institute for Policy Interaction (IPI) shared Tembo's sentiments saying that as Malawi is striving to implement the decentralisation process, it is imperative that government releases funding for the elections as it is the right of the people of the country to have councillors to help run government. "Whether the government wants it or not, local government elections must be held this year because it is a Constitutional matter and government should not dare playing around with the Constitution because it is our Bible," he said.

      He urged the Mutharika administration to respect the Constitution by holding Local Government Elections as soon as possible to give power to the people.

      Hajat asked Malawians to stand firmly against the government's attempts to abrogate on their constitutional duty when they attempt to withhold the election this year.

      Recently, Minister of Local Government and Rural Development George Chaponda told the Secretary General of the Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF) Carl Wright that the Local Government Elections would indeed be held this year.

      Responding to Chaponda's assurance, Wright said: "It is heartening to learn that the government of Malawi intends to proceed with local government elections later this year. "Democratically elected local councillors have a key role to play in development and in realising the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). They are also critical to the democratic process. Following elections, the CLGF looks forward to working with its members in Malawi in helping the realisation of the Commonwealth Aberdeen Agenda for the promotion of local democracy and good governance." In an interview with The Chronicle later, Chaponda refused to shed any light on the matter regarding firm dates and a calendar of events for the elections, arguing that he is not the appropriate person to comment on it.

      Surprisingly for a Minister responsible for ensuring the operations of local governance Chaponda insisted that government would still carry on with its programmes with or without councillors.

      Reports in the local media last week said the government has again failed to provide funding for these essential elections scheduled for September this year.

      The Nation newspaper quoted acting Secretary to Treasury Patrick Kabambe as saying that the government failed to fund the elections, which were expected to be launched tomorrow, because the electoral body was asking for "too much money." "We went through their calendar of events and the money they asked for, and we discovered that what they requested was beyond our expectation. We could not meet the budget," Kabambe was quoted as saying.

      However, the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) was taken aback by this saying the commission worked out a budget as advised by and informed of the government.

      The MEC spokesperson Fegus Lipenga said he could not understand how government, which gave the appropriate guidelines, including suggestions on the size of the budget, are now turning around and accusing the MEC of asking for too much money.

      In an interview, Lipenga pointed a finger at the opposition for shooting down the proposal for the Tripartite Elections Bill in 2004 which could have allowed the commission to hold the local government elections alongside the presidential and parliamentary polls that year. "As you may recall, we proposed that we have tripartite elections but other parties thought it was an opportunity for rigging that we are bringing it back. Our problem was that we brought the issue too close to election time. But we believe we now have ample time to bring it back and we will sure do so. That is why we say a constitutional review is important now," said Lipenga.

      In the budget for the 2005/06, Parliament approved the sum of K2.3 billion for the Local Government Elections, but latter it was scaled down to only K251 million for preliminary activities such as office equipment, fax machines, consumables, assembly related costs amongst many, according to Lipenga.

      He further said that the commission furnish the government with a cash flow statement to enable it to fund the sum of K480m, which is composed of K251 m from government, and K229 m from donors.

      Asked what the government has done with the K2.3 billion in the budget meant for local assembly elections, Lipenga said that government indicated that the money was reallocated to purchase the staple food, maize. "Surprisingly even the maize spoken of is in short supply throughout the country causing untold difficulties for the population," said a disgruntled citizen who wished anonymity adding, I this is what government has done with the money why are we now paying up to K3,000 per 50kg bag of maize. Something is wrong somewhere. " This state of affairs is raising speculation that, once again government is only withholding funding from democratic related subventions because it is reluctant to share power with local authorities as democracy and the constitution demands.

      The Constitution in Chapter 14 Section 146 requires, as part of the democratic system recognised, practiced and espoused in Malawi that there be Local Authorities to, among other tasks consolidate and promote local democratic institutions and participation of citizens at grassroots level. The authority shall be responsible for the representation of the people whom they have jurisdiction over, especially for their welfare.

      Local Authorities were dissolved after their mandate expired in 2004.

      The nation has had no local representation for almost two years leaving much of the decision making to Chief Executives and Town Clerks, a situation that leaves room for abuse. The donor community have attempted to get the nation on track but has so far met with resistance from the Executive and from Central Government.

      *****

      BLM Distributes 20,000 Female Condoms

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 28, 2006
      Posted to the web February 28, 2006

      Happy Saka
      Lilongwe

      Sexual reproductive and healthcare providers Banja Lamtsogolo (BLM) are this year expected to distribute 20,000 female condoms to young women to protect them from sexually transmitted diseases and unplanned pregnancies, officials have disclosed.

      BLM's Community Outreach Manager Clement Naunje told The Chronicle in an interview recently in Blantyre that the condoms would be distributed through youth community based distribution agents (YCBDAs) located in the country's three regions.

      He said BLM has already trained 20 young people who will be sent to some districts to teach their fellow youths on how to use the female condoms. "These twenty young people will assist us in distributing the condoms and we have the full confidence that the condoms will reduce sexually transmitted diseases including HIV/AIDS," he said.

      Naunje said it is high time young women in the country were empowered and advised on how to make their own decision. "It is our wish to have a better Malawi in the near future, that's why we are trying our best to empower young people and provide them with good information about sexual and reproductive health issues so that they should be able to know how their bodies operate," he said.

      According to Naunje, the female condoms have been introduced to protect the women, saying with only male condoms in circulation; women were vulnerable if their partners refused to put on the condom.

      He also said most young women are forced to have unprotected sex which he says is one of the factors which has contributed a lot to the high increase of sexual and transmitted diseases. "It has always been difficult for young ladies in Malawi to have the courage of telling a man to put on a condom whenever they are having sex, but this time around they will have a chance to protect themselves. "The female condoms are good and women can put on and walk with this condom for about ten minutes before the time of sex without any problems," said Naunje.

      The project has been funded by UNFPA.

      This is not the first time for BLM to distribute the condoms. In 2003, BLM distributed 5,000 female condoms.

      BLM's objective is to improve the reproductive health of women, men and adolescents in rural and urban areas of the country through the increased utilization of services for family planning and prevention and treatment of sexual Transmitted diseases (STIs) and HIV/AIDS, according to information from the organisation.

      *****

      Regulate Commercial Sex, Says Civil Rights Activists

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 28, 2006
      Posted to the web February 28, 2006

      Arnold Mnelemba
      Lilongwe

      Civil rights activists and commercial sex workers in the country have called for stakeholders in the fight against HIV/AIDS to consider formation of a regulation body to protect commercial sex workers from all sorts of injustices that may eventually lead to an increased spread of the killer pandemic.

      Emmie Chirwa, a civil rights activist working for Right for All Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) based in Blantyre said it is imperative that commercial sex be regulated, saying prostitutes are facing a lot of problems that force them to catch the deadly virus.

      Chirwa said some men demand sex without condoms, thereby exposing the commercial sex workers from HIV and AIDS.

      "Most of the commercial sex workers venture into this work because of poverty and other reasons and it is very unfair to let them be subjected to sorts of problems that can make them catch the deadly virus and die fast. The issue here is that most of these commercial sex workers are facing a lot of problems but have no where to complain because whatever transaction they carry is regarded as illegal," said Chirwa.

      A commercial sex worker only identified as Josephine operating from a pub at Sun City, Biwi in Lilongwe said commercial sex workers feel offended when clients demand sex without condoms because this may easily lead them catching the virus.

      "Sometimes we have clients who demand plain sex by force and we have no where to complain because when we go to police, they will tell us that we are harlots and our cases die like that. Furthermore, some police officers demand free sex from us when we complain of unfair treatment accorded to us by some cruel clients, this is unfair and we need a regulatory body," she said.

      She pointed out that not all commercial sex workers made an independent and willing decision to vie for that trade, saying some fell into the trap of commercial sexing after losing parents or after facing problems beyond their control.

      *****

      Bingu Gives Up On Malewezi

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 28, 2006
      Posted to the web February 28, 2006

      Arnold Mnelemba
      Lilongwe

      President Bingu wa Mutharika, who earlier on reportedly earmarked former Vice President Justin Malewezi for vice presidency, is said to have given up on the idea as the cabinet encouraged him to pick Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe should the courts rule in favour of the government in the Cassim Chilumpha case.

      Mutharika fired Chilumpha this month as vice president of the republic and Chilumpha is challenging the dismissal in the High Court of Malawi.

      Sources told The Chronicle that Mutharika secretly met Malewezi to offer him the vice presidency.

      The sources disclosed that Mutharika resolved to talk to Malewezi after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) national governing council rejected names from the party. "The president held talks with Malewezi because he is looking for someone from the central region and the proposed names in DPP from the central region were of Uladi Mussa and Hetherwick Ntaba but members refused the names and opted for Goodall Gondwe and Joyce Banda who are from the north and south respectively, but the president is looking for someone from the central region hence the proposal to talk to Malewezi," said the source.

      Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) spokesperson Ntaba could not deny nor confirm the development, saying if there were talks between the two, it is not a matter of public consumption.

      He described the reports as mere speculation.

      On the other hand, Malewezi denied having met Mutharika on the issue and refused to comment because, he said, he has no knowledge of the issue.

      Section 83 (3) of the constitution of the Republic Malawi stipulates: "The President, the Vice President and the Second Vice President may serve in their respective capacities a maximum of two consecutive terms, but when a person is elected or appointed to fill a vacancy in the office of President or Vice President, the period between that election or appointment and the next election of the president shall not be regarded as a term." A prominent practicing lawyer in Lilongwe said according to the provision of the section in mention, Malewezi is eligible to serve for another term if elected because he said the constitution is clear that if appointed to fill a vacant position, it may not be regarded as if he is serving another term.

      Malewezi insisted that he is a retired Vice President and is apparently happy serving the government as an MP. "I am in government now because I am a Member of Parliament (MP) and it could be out of question for someone to ask if I may be free to join and serve government," said Malewezi.

      *****

      US Trains Malawi Soldiers

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 28, 2006
      Posted to the web February 28, 2006

      Gregory Gondwe
      Lilongwe

      The Government of the United States of America (US) through its Department of State African Contingency Operations Training and Assistance (ACOTA) program is training 950 Malawi Defence Force (MDF) soldiers drawn from all units' country wide in Salima.

      The three-week training which wounded up last Thursday has been described by the US government as the largest military training exercise the US has ever conducted in Malawi.

      Tyler Sparks who is Political and Military Officer in the Malawi's US Embassy said the three week training represents an investment of nearly $450, 000 in training for Malawi's armed forces. "In addition, we will also provide a trainee support package for the MDF in the near future which will consist of essential non-lethal items such as uniforms, boots and canteens" he said. "I am very pleased at the level of cooperation between our governments that this training represents, and I am convinced that it will lead to an even greater regional stature for Malawi as it increases its share of peacekeeping responsibilities," he added.

      MDF Commanding Officer of this special contingency of the ACOTA Battalion Lieutenant Colonel Vincent Nundwe said during a familiarisation exercise for the media and Members of Parliament who sit on the Parliamentary Defence and Security Committee that some of the soldiers would be deployed to peace keeping missions soon.

      During the tour, ACOTA Lead Analyst Paul Thomas who is heading a team of 20 US trainers acknowledged the professionalism of Malawian soldiers displayed during the training which he described as beyond their initial expectation.

      He the training is designed to tone down the usual training referred to as Chapter 6 which is for combating and offensive and defensive tactics to one referred in military language as Chapter 7 which is a concept of peace keeping.

      The training consisted on how to occupy defensive positions, handling and manning ambush, reconnaissance, as well as manning checkpoints.

      Sparks said the USA Government is pleased to support the Malawi Defence Force in its pursuit of continuing training for its soldiers. "Malawi is increasing its participation in international peace-keeping missions, such as the current mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is commendable. With this increased involvement abroad, the Malawi Defence Forces need soldiers with solid skills in all aspects of peace-keeping duties," he explained. "It is my hope that the African Contingency program will help MDF prepare for even greater involvement in international peacekeeping," he added.

      He said in 2006 the program will cost $30 million throughout Africa on training and non-lethal equipment.

      ACOTA program which is managed by the US's Africa Bureau, to enhance the capacity of African partner nations to effectively participate in multinational peace support operations (PSO) has so far trained over 26, 000 peacekeepers from thirteen African nations.

      Since the program's inception in 1997, ACOTA and its predecessor program, the African Crisis Response Initiative (ACRI), has provided field training for African peacekeepers plus command and staff training and exercises for battalion, brigade, and multinational force headquarters personnel.

      A statement from the US embassy says the ACOTA program provides limited equipment packages to enhance indigenous training capacity and equip trainees; expanded equipping activities are available under Global Peace Operations Initiative (GPOI) funding. "ACOTA seeks to complement and support EU, NATO, French, British, Belgian, Portuguese and other allied peacekeeping training efforts, welcoming their participation for training events," reads the statement in part.

      ACOTA partners Benin, Botswana, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa and Zambia have sent contingents to varied missions such as Sudan, Sierra Leone, DR Congo, and Cote d'voire, Liberia, Burundi, Kosovo and Beirut.

      *****

      The plight of Malawi's child brides

      Alexandra Zavis | Chiringani, Malawi

      01 March 2006 12:40

      Innat Edson didn't think it would end this way. Last year, she was making wedding plans. Now, at just 15, she is back at her mother's cramped, dingy house, nursing a fussing baby her former fiancé refuses to acknowledge is his.

      Here, and in isolated villages and crumbling cities across the most destitute continent, girls younger than 14 are finding boyfriends and getting married in a bid to escape the empty bellies, numbing work and overwhelming tedium of poverty.

      Encouraged by their parents, many marry much older men who they hope can give them a better life. Often, they are disappointed.

      "Poverty is the cancer in our society," says Joyce Banda, Malawi's Minister of Gender, Child Welfare and Community Services. "More girls are marrying young -- not out of choice, but because they have no choice."

      No figures are available because such marriages usually happen in secret. Banda and some aid groups, though, assert they are becoming more common, citing anecdotal evidence.

      The legal age for marriage is 16 in Malawi, but girls as young as 14 can marry with their parents' consent. The government is proposing increasing this minimum to 18, but has had little luck enforcing its existing laws. Some elders see nothing wrong with allowing an 11-year-old to wed a man in his 30s.

      "When they are exposed, we find that the young girls are so brainwashed they don't see anything wrong, and their parents are willing participants," Banda says.

      Early marriage takes girls out of school and forces them into motherhood before they are biologically ready, contributing to some of the highest maternal mortality rates in the world. About 1 800 mothers died for every 100 000 deliveries in 2003, the last year for which figures are available. The practice can also expose girls to HIV/Aids before they are equipped to protect themselves.

      The deadly pandemic has left thousands of Malawian children to fend for themselves in a country gripped by perpetual food shortages.

      Innat's mother has been in and out of hospital for three years with an illness the family does not name. Her father drinks heavily and provides little for his six children. Innat dropped out of school in 7th grade to work as a maid in Blantyre -- a three-hour walk down a winding, rutted road. But the job didn't pay much, and she continued to struggle.

      "I had no money to buy soap or lotion for my body, so I thought the only way was to find a boyfriend to take care of my needs," explains the sad, wide-eyed girl.

      Her 13-year-old sister, Isme, escaped home by marrying a painter. So when a young man from their village proposed, Innat thought her problems were solved. When she fell pregnant, he deserted her.

      Soon after, a trader came looking to buy charcoal. He too proposed, and she agreed. "I was just thinking about my baby," she says.

      Eventually, however, the man returned to the city.

      "He said he would come back for me," she says, her eyes welling up, "but he never did." Some 30 to 40 girls drop out every year from the local primary school, where English lessons are taught on a blackboard nailed to a tree. Some leave to help at home, but most get married, says deputy headmaster James Kampira.

      Primary school is free, but high school costs around 3 500 kwacha (about $27) a term -- more than many families earn a month.

      If there is a choice, they usually give the extra schooling to sons. Just 15% of Malawian girls finish high school, compared with 26% of boys, according to government figures.

      Some girls are pressed into marriage for the sake of a dowry, or because their parents have too many mouths to feed. But many enter willingly into unions that give them a kind of status.

      Elube Matebule traded a cracked mud-and-thatch home for a brick house with a tin roof when she married her 22-year-old boyfriend, Edwin, last August.

      "Life was difficult at home. There wasn't enough food, there weren't enough clothes, there wasn't enough money. But in marriage, I have those things," says Elube, a shy, giggly girl in a torn, white blouse, who says she is 18, but looks barely 14.

      Marriage wasn't quite the escape she'd hoped for. Every day the girl who once dreamed of being a nurse is up at dawn to work in her new family's maize field. In the afternoon, she cooks for her husband, his parents and two brothers. Only then can she relax before the work starts again.

      "I am very disappointed," she says, sitting on a step, twisting a blade of grass.

      The average age of sexual debut is just 12, according to government research. In a few traditional communities, girls are forced to have sex with older men as part of rites initiating them into adulthood. But most have their first experience with a friend or relative.

      Girls who have lost one or both parents to HIV/Aids are especially vulnerable to exploitation. In cities like Blantyre, it is not unusual for them to have several "boyfriends" who support them, according to the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) in Malawi. This in turn exposes them to the risk of infection with HIV, the virus that causes Aids.

      Some older men will marry young girls after their wives die of HIV/Aids because they believe sex with a virgin will "cleanse" them, says Banda. It is also traditional in some cultures for a man to marry his wife's younger sister if she dies.

      The government and Unicef campaign against such practices and hope raising the legal age for marriage will alert people to the dangers.

      Others, however, worry the proposed law will leave pregnant teens without even the option of marriage.

      Innat has no idea how to fend for two-month-old Crispin. "I wish I had money so I could raise goats to put him through school," she says wistfully. "I see no future for any of us." -- Sapa-AFP

      *****

      Zimbabwe says it can't remove every white farmer

      Harare, Zimbabwe

      02 March 2006 11:18

      Zimbabwe's vice-president has said the country's remaining white farmers would be spared eviction if they toed the line and respected the law, local media reported on Thursday.

      "We cannot remove every white man in this country," Vice-President Joseph Msika was quoted as telling a farmers' rally.

      "If you think it's possible, that will not happen. We will respect those white people who respect our laws and want to live with us," the private Daily Mirror newspaper quoted him as saying.

      The state-owned Herald further quoted Msika as saying: "We cannot remove every white farmer because it's stupidity. That is shooting yourself in the foot."

      No more than 600 white farmers remain in Zimbabwe following controversial land reforms which saw the eviction of at least 4 000 of their peers to pave the way for land redistribution to poor blacks.

      Msika also lashed out at lazy black farmers who invaded white farms and seized properties and then failed to produce anything.

      "Some of you when you take these farms, you don't make use of them," The Herald quoted Msika as saying.

      "Don't just evict someone who is farming productively because they are of a different race."

      Msika's statements came weeks after Land Minister Didymus Mutasa said no white farmers were "farming legally" and urged them to seek permission from the government to continue work after constitutional reforms barred dispossesed farmers from seeking legal recourse.

      Msika attacked new farmers for their heavy dependence on government handouts.

      "We don't want to build a nation of beggars," Msika said, urging the farmers to "cultivate the land".

      Zimbabwe's land reforms, which began often violently in 2000 after the rejection in a referendum on a government-sponsored draft Constitution, have seen about 4 000 white farmers lose their properties.

      Critics say the majority of the beneficiaries of the land reforms lack farming skills and rely on government handouts.

      They also blame the land reforms for the chronic food shortages in what was once Southern Africa's bread basket.

      At least four million of Zimbabwe's 13-million people require food aid until the next harvest in May. - AFP

      *****

      Zimbabwe's 'outsider' faction leader

      Arthur Mutambara vowed to work for party unity
      Arthur Mutambara, the new leader of one faction of the Movement for Democratic Change, has stepped into the furnace of Zimbabwean opposition politics essentially as an outsider.
      That reality is being seen both as an advantage and as a disadvantage.

      He is untainted by the ugly row that split the MDC late last year, but he will also have to work hard to gain a public profile in his home country.

      Although he was a noted student leader in the late 1980s, his involvement in politics ended long before the MDC was founded.

      Accepting the position, Mr Mutambara, 40, hinted it was time to move beyond the disagreement over participation in national Senate elections that prompted a split in the MDC last year.

      [He is] an 'outsider' untainted by the struggles-within-the-struggle of opposition politics

      Eldred Masunungure, political scientist
      Mr Mutambara now heads the faction, previously led by secretary general Welshman Ncube, that favoured participation.

      "My position was that the MDC should have boycotted those Senate elections," Mr Mutambara said.

      "I guess then that makes me the Anti-Senate leader of the Pro-Senate MDC faction. How ridiculous can we get? That debate is now in the past, let us move on and unite our people."

      He praised his rival-to-be - MDCs leader Morgan Tsvangirai, who was instrumental in setting up the party - as a national hero.

      But he criticised Mr Tsvangirai for seeking to impose his views on other party leaders during the senate debate, and vowed he would always accept the decision of the majority.

      While Mr Tsvangirai's supporters have claimed the faction now led by Mr Mutambara are being used by agents of President Mugabe, Mr Mutambara vowed to end the "misrule" of the ruling party.

      Strategic

      Mr Mutambara's appointment has been greeted as a move that will help quell the accusations that the party is riven by ethnicity.

      That view was given substance by last year's split, which set MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai - who comes from Zimbabwe's majority Shona group - against the rest of his party's top officials, from the Ndebele community.

      He has a good history as a student leader but will need time to grow into the position of national leader

      Brian Raftopoulos, political scientist
      Political scientist Eldred Masunungure suggested that strategic thinking by Welshman Ncube and his colleagues had led to the emergence of Mr Mutambara as the most widely acceptable candidate.

      "Both Ncube and [deputy chairman Gibson] Sibanda must have realised... that in Zimbabwe politics, and given the grip of ethnic consciousness, a Ndebele would have a very faint chance of making it to State House," Mr Masunungure wrote on the ZimOnline website.

      "Both Ncube and Sibanda also deferred to an 'outsider' untainted by the struggles-within-the-struggle of opposition politics."

      In Harare's extra-parliamentary political circles there has been a mixed reaction to the news of Mr Mutambara's arrival, Columbus Mavhunga of the National Constitutional Assembly told the BBC News website.

      "There is not much known about him, besides him leading demonstrations as a student," Mr Mavhunga said. "He has been out of Zimbabwe for virtually 10 years."

      "Some are happy since he's from the Shona tribe - but critics are saying he is just an academic."

      Robotics

      Mr Mutambara's academic record is something admired even by his political detractors.

      He holds a PhD from Oxford University in Robotics and Mechatronics, and held professorships in that field in several US institutions. He has published three books on engineering.

      Tsvangirai maintains he is the only MDC leader
      His CV is as impressive in the area of business as it is in science, including a post as professor of business strategy, and as a consultant with McKinsey and Company.

      In the late 1980s, he rose to prominence at the University of Zimbabwe, leading the first anti-government student protests since independence.

      The protests in 1988 and 1989 led to clashes with the police and Mr Mutambara's detention.

      "He has a good history as a student leader but will need time to grow into the position of national leader," political scientist Brian Raftopoulos, told the Zimbabwe Independent newspaper.

      But he added: "There is a lot of groundwork to be done to get him known after a long absence. Morgan [Tsvangirai] has an advantage because besides [President Robert] Mugabe, he is the only other leader with a national profile and appeal."

      Reconciliation?

      In contrast to the slanging-match that went on between the two MDC factions over participation in the Senate elections, Mr Tsvangirai has extended at least a cautious hand of friendship to Mr Mutambara.

      "Prof Mutambara's comments are quite welcome and in sync with the aspirations of Mr Tsvangirai of bringing a new dispensation to the struggle for democracy," said Mr Tsvangirai's spokesman Nelson Chamisa.

      But he also made it clear that Mr Tsvangirai is no closer to acknowledging the legitimacy of the rival faction's leadership.

      "We are not aware of any other president other than Mr Tsvangirai."
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****