Re: [ujeni] Some questions

  • Joanna Jane Hooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
      Hi Dan,

      That's very cool! We recently did a small fundraiser here
      (University of New Mexico School of Medicine) for Malawi
      Children's Village to raise money to buy mosquito
      nets--they have started a mosquito net distribution
      program there, which seems like it would be pretty easy to
      do. The nets only cost a $1.50 (subsidised by the Bill
      and Melinda Gates foundation) and have been shown to
      reduce all cause mortality in children under 5 (in malaria
      endemic areas) by 20%. It's a pretty inexpensive
      intervention with pretty big pay off and fits directly
      into the MDGs. If you'd like a can send you a short power
      point presentation that I made to explain to people why we
      were doing the fundraiser. Also, Jeff Sachs has done
      things like providing breakfast at school for kids (some
      poridge--perhaps with a little more than just ufa
      though--soy bean flour and milk maybe--I'm not sure) and
      saw incredible improvement in the students
      performance--another really inexpensive but effective
      intervention. Also, there was an interesting study out of
      Bangldesh looking at Zinc--it was shown to decrease
      wasting, upper respiratory infections, and diahrreah
      pretty significantly in young children (just 70mg a
      week--these were also children under five--maybe younger
      than the pop you're targeting). I am headed to Guatemala
      on Sunday. We are going to be studying the effectiveness
      of a community health worker program there, and then
      training more community health workers--this is another
      simple, inexpensive program--the CHWs are armed with
      antibiotics and ORS in order to treat children faster
      before they trek to the hospital (the biggest killer of
      children under 5 in the developing world is pneumonia
      secondary usually to a viral upper respiratory
      infection--diarrhea being number two). Additionally, with
      our recent president, a lot of funding for birth control
      has been cut--if the organization supplying it had
      anything whatsoever to do with abortion--I don't know how
      this has affected Malawi, but this is obviously a big
      problem.

      Joanna