Some questions

  • Daniel Dudley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 7:33 PM
      I have a couple of questions.

      1)  In the Peace Corps Newsletter that Virle used to send out, he inclued a couple of cartoons that I was looking for on the internet, but I don't know who created them or even if I can find them.  One was two horses tied together and they tugged and pulled in opposite directions to try to get some food, when they worked together, they were both able to eat.  In the other, the point was the discrepency between what donor agencies thought a village needed and what they actually needed (I think that it had something to do with a tire swing.)

      2)  The reason that I am asking this is that our school has received a pretty substantial donation from a parent to create a group to look at how the school can be involved in playing a part in the Millenium Development Goals.  I would like to hear from members of this ujeni community on some thoughts about how a small school could do something towards these goals.  Obviously, I have a lean towards doing something for Malawi.  I would love to have something to do with Stacia's work in promoting drought resistant crops, adopting a couple of primary schools to help them get the materials required to teach their children, or working with a group like Peace Corps Volunteers to create a small grant for projects around their sites.  I think that we are leaning towards making a long-term commitment towards a goal rather than putting all of the money towards one short-term project.

      Thanks for any of your input,

      Dan Dudley
    • Don & Cathy Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21 12:24 AM
        Dan,  My office partner John Chome was a Planner with the City of Blantyre. He ended up promoting to Chief of the Planning Department.

        I have maintained contact with him since we left Malawi. In November he notified us he was hired by the United Nations and has the title of Habitat Programme Manager for Malawi. Recently I asked him if he was involved in the Millenium Development project and this was his answer:

        Happy new year! I am not directly involved in the Millennium Villages project but indeed the aim is to enable these villages attain the MDGs and I think they will. There is however good news for Blantyre. I was involved in organising a town hall meeting between prof Jeffrey Sachs and a delegation of American billionnaires and a cross section of the Blantyre City community where the professor wanted to explore the possibility of establishing a millennium city. It was a wonderful meeting and I am now told that Blantyre has been declared a millennium city. This will involve initially a study to identify the infrastructure and social needs of Blantyre as well as private sector investment potentials. After which resources will be mobilised to implement these. the idea is to enable Blantyre attain the MDGs also. This ties in well with the work we have started in Blantyre to work towards removing slum conditions by the year 2020.

        I certainly think he could be a resource in identifying Millenium Development projects and would at least respond to an inquiry from you. Don't forget to tell him Weber sent you. (I'm serious).

        His E-mail address is
          john.chome@...

        Good luck.  Don

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Joanna Jane Hooper
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21 7:26 AM
          Hi Dan,

          That's very cool! We recently did a small fundraiser here
          (University of New Mexico School of Medicine) for Malawi
          Children's Village to raise money to buy mosquito
          nets--they have started a mosquito net distribution
          program there, which seems like it would be pretty easy to
          do. The nets only cost a $1.50 (subsidised by the Bill
          and Melinda Gates foundation) and have been shown to
          reduce all cause mortality in children under 5 (in malaria
          endemic areas) by 20%. It's a pretty inexpensive
          intervention with pretty big pay off and fits directly
          into the MDGs. If you'd like a can send you a short power
          point presentation that I made to explain to people why we
          were doing the fundraiser. Also, Jeff Sachs has done
          things like providing breakfast at school for kids (some
          poridge--perhaps with a little more than just ufa
          though--soy bean flour and milk maybe--I'm not sure) and
          saw incredible improvement in the students
          performance--another really inexpensive but effective
          intervention. Also, there was an interesting study out of
          Bangldesh looking at Zinc--it was shown to decrease
          wasting, upper respiratory infections, and diahrreah
          pretty significantly in young children (just 70mg a
          week--these were also children under five--maybe younger
          than the pop you're targeting). I am headed to Guatemala
          on Sunday. We are going to be studying the effectiveness
          of a community health worker program there, and then
          training more community health workers--this is another
          simple, inexpensive program--the CHWs are armed with
          antibiotics and ORS in order to treat children faster
          before they trek to the hospital (the biggest killer of
          children under 5 in the developing world is pneumonia
          secondary usually to a viral upper respiratory
          infection--diarrhea being number two). Additionally, with
          our recent president, a lot of funding for birth control
          has been cut--if the organization supplying it had
          anything whatsoever to do with abortion--I don't know how
          this has affected Malawi, but this is obviously a big
          problem.

          Joanna