news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 15, 2006
      Female Genital Mutilation: Being Conducted on the Quiet with Young Girls Exposed to Infections and to HIV

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 13, 2006
      Posted to the web February 13, 2006

      Pushpa Jamieson
      Lilongwe

      The culture of silence and secrecy surround-ing some traditional practices could make the fight against the HIV epidemic more difficult.

      Often these traditional practices are carried out on young people who are at the age of puberty, and the initiation is intended to prepare them for adulthood.

      When those who have been initiated are asked what happens at the initiation ceremonies, the reply is often that the young people are taught how to take care of themselves, how to show respect for elders, obtain good manners as well as how to take care of the family.

      To a large extent this is true, but some of the practices carried out during the initiations are not openly discussed with just anyone and are generally kept as a closely guarded secret.

      In order to make sure that young people who are not ready for initiation and others who have not gone through the initiation ceremonies are unable to know what goes on during the initiations, the young initiates are removed from their homes and taken to a place prepared for the occasion outside the village, under the instruction and watchful eye of a counselor.

      It has been reported that initiation ceremonies for girls are more complex and detailed than for boys. Initiation ceremonies for girls are also more widespread.

      Research carried out by the Malawi Human Rights Commission (MHRC) has revealed that in some parts of the southern region Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is very quietly happening.

      Shrouded in secrecy, the practice continues to take place and exposes girls to HIV infection without any challenge because no one will talk about it.

      Girls in some parts of Mulanje in the Southern Region have been undergoing FGM during initiation with the practice going almost unnoticed because of the secrecy surrounding the practice.

      The practice, that involves the pinching off of the tip (clitoris) of the girl's private parts, is conducted during the ceremony by the Namkungwi (elderly woman counselor and instructor).

      Using her fingernails to remove the organ, the part is pinch and severed by the namkungwi under conditions that are not sterile or hygienic.

      Using a basin of water to wash her hands after each removal, she moves from one girl to the next, exposing the girls to different kinds of infections, including HIV.

      Apart from the pain and risk of chronic infection that can lead to infertility, a girl can bled profusely and suffer server anemia.

      The risk of HIV infection can be high during the time when the young girls are bleeding and wounds are exposed. Some of the girls, although young, are already sexually active. Working from one girl to the next in the way it is done could spread HIV infection should any one of them have contracted the virus.

      The possibility of a young girls being HIV positive because of Mother to Child Transmission (MTCT) could also lead to other initiates being exposed.

      There is also the risk of infection being passed on to the girls if the namkungwi herself is infected with HIV and her bodily fluids which can carry the virus comes into contact with her hand and, inadvertently to the girls wounds during this time.

      Speaking about the practice to some women around the Thyolo and Mulanji areas, it seems obvious that FGM is practiced at some initiation ceremonies although they will not say if it is practiced in their own village.

      Nankhoma says she is aware of the practice, but it does not happen to the girls that go for initiation in her village: "I hear that it is being practiced by some people in some other villages but that does not happen where I live," she says.

      Belita has also heard about the practice, but she too says it does not happen in her village. "We hear that the namkungwi chosen to carry out the cutting will grow her nails on her forefinger and thumb in anticipation of the work she is to do." Asked if she knows any namkungwi who does this kind of initiation, Bettie responds: "No I don't know it's a very well kept secret among the namkungwi and nobody asks or knows them unless you become one of them through another kind of initiation." Every one spoken to acknowledge that they are aware of the practice but deny that they or anyone they know is involved in the practice.

      The secrecy and silence surrounding the FGM makes it very difficult to talk to those actually involved.

      The result is that people have come to believe that FGM is not that widely practiced in this country.

      The fact is that, even if it is only a few people who practice FGM, the risk of HIV infection cannot be overlooked and the challenges faced to stop the epidemic could be increased if the practice remains underground and those carrying it out not informed about the dangers of spreading HIV and their contribution to it.

      *****

      Teachers Blame Commission for Delayed Allowances

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 14, 2006
      Posted to the web February 14, 2006

      Kondwani Magombo
      Lilongwe

      Teachers in the country have blamed the Teacher Service Commission (TSC), education department and the Malawi National Examination Board (MANEB) for delaying their examination invigilation allowances. This is contrary to earlier media reports that they had already been given their dues.

      Amongst the group of teachers complaining about the development are teachers from Lilongwe Rural West and those from Lilongwe Central West divisions who have accused their District Education Managers (DEM) of a lack of transparency on MANEB JCE and MSCE 2005 invigilation and supervision allowances that they say have not been honored to date.

      Among other things, the teachers are claiming that they were not paid in full and that the little they got was based on "ill information" as most of them were supposed to be paid as commuting officers, but they were paid as residential officers. "Imagine, I was assigned to invigilate at Malingunde, 24 km away from my school and transport was costing me K150 everyday. The exams ran from 10 October to 3 November 2005 but what I got back for transport allowance at the end of the whole exercise was K110 only, instead of K150 x 11 days," explained one of the teachers from Likuni Girls Secondary School.

      He added that there were several other irregularities namely; residential officers were mistakenly paid as commuters; the invigilators and supervisors were also supposed to get extra payment for the extra MSCE examination period, i.e. from 29 October to 2 November 2005.

      The teachers said they had been forwarding their claims in writing to their respective DEM offices but the latter, they said, had always pushed the blame on MANEB.

      The Lilongwe Rural West DEM officer, Mr. Hausi, acknowledged the problem but said the teachers were being impatient. He, however, dismissed as a lie the claims that the teachers did not get their allowances for practical exams. "They are lying," he charged: "They got their practical allowances in full. On the residential and commuting problem, it is all their own fault because they were identified as commuters but they, on their own, chose to be residing at the centers. "These teachers' main problem is impatience. They applied for the settlement of their claims and we told them we are liaising with MANEB to see how we can best sort the matter out, and that's what we are doing." said Hausi.

      The Malawi National Examination Board (MANEB) too acknowledged the matter two weeks ago but, again, said the problem was with the teachers' submission. "The mistake was in the teachers' submission, however, we have liaised with the DEMs and the teachers will get their dues next week" the Board's Executive Director, Mathews Matemba," said.

      Matemba, however, distanced the Board from any involvement in the payment of the Practical exams allowances saying it is the DEM office's responsibility.

      However, the teachers had not yet received their dues as we went to press last Saturday.

      *****

      MCP District Chairman Defends Majoni

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 14, 2006
      Posted to the web February 14, 2006

      Charles Chisi
      Lilongwe

      Malawi Congress Party (MCP) Lilongwe District Chairman Gideon Kawela has described as 'untrue', allegations that the party's Central Region Chairman Betson Majoni has brought confusion in the party.

      Kawela was reacting to an allegation by MCP Member of Parliament for Lilongwe North East Ted Kalebe recently that Majoni was brewing trouble in his constituency and antagonizing party colleagues.

      He said if indeed Majoni was a confusionist as was being said, the party would not have scooped almost all the parliamentary seats in the Central Region. "We attribute our success in the 2004 general elections to the hardworking spirit of Majoni as Regional Chairman with the support of our President John Tembo. If he was a confusionist we would not have performed like that," said Kawela The District Chairman said Majoni was an experienced politician elected to his present position from branch level and it is therefore not true that he was an appointee as Kalebe claimed.

      Kawela said he was aware that such allegations were coming from people who do not wish the party well.

      He, however, challenged the accusers saying that MCP, guided by Kamuzu's four corner stones, which are Unity, Obedience, Loyalty and Discipline, will remain a powerful political party in the country.

      Kawela also warned those who organize meetings without the knowledge of the District Committee saying this is providing a platform to bring confusion in the party. He however declined to mention the culprits. "MCP has a policy that whoever wants to organize a meeting has to consult the District Committee to obtain its blessings. If anyone acts against this policy then, I'm afraid he is not true to our party," he said Kalebe has been at the centre of the turmoil in MCP politics since last month when party president John Tembo accused him, alongside Lilongwe Nsinja North MP Bintony Kutsaira of bringing confusion in the party through their dealings with the Centre for Multiparty Democracy (CMD) Meanwhile Tembo has removed the two from the CMD and has replaced them with loyalists, Lilongwe City South East MP Respicious Dzanjalimodzi and the party's Deputy Administrative Secretary, Potipher Chidaya.

      *****

      RBM to mint K5, K10 coins
      by Taonga Sabola, 14 February 2006 - 05:27:53
      The Reserve Bank of Malawi (RBM) on Monday unveiled plans to introduce into circulation K5 and K10 coins before the end of this year.
      RBM spokesperson Henry Mathanga said the move has become necessary to contain the problem of deterioration of K5 and K10 banknotes which are the most frequently used notes in circulation.
      "We noted that most K5 and K10 notes that are being used are very dirty and they deteriorate over a period of time," said Mathanga.
      He also said the decision to have coins will help the country to save foreign exchange used to print the banknotes in other countries.
      "We have been losing a lot of money through printing the notes time and again as we would like to have only clean notes in circulation," said Mathanga.
      He could, however, not give the exact date when the coins will come into circulation saying everything will depend on the people responsible for making the coins.
      The introduction of K5 and K10 coins will come at a time when most Malawians' love with coins has diminished.
      Nowadays people rarely use coins to buy things and they are only used for giving out change for purchased items.
      In May 2004, the central bank issued a statement warning commercial banks and some traders that refusing to trade in coin denominations is illegal under the Reserve Bank Act.
      Reacting to the RBM statement, commercial banks*through the Bankers Association of Malawi*challenged the central bank to produce evidence to substantiate its accusations.
      Economic commentator Kondwani Mlilima said the introduction of K5 and K10 coins will activate the use of coins amongst Malawians as they will now be able to buy something with the coins.
      Former RBM Governor Elias Ngalande, who issued the statement warning traders against refusing coin transactions, said in June 2004 that the country still needs coin denominations for transactions until government changes its policy on coins.

      *****

      Kwacha depreciates by 6%
      by Frank Phiri, 15 February 2006 - 06:16:02
      The Malawi kwacha has since January to Tuesday depreciated by 6.25 percent against the US dollar as high demand continues to outstrip supply on the forex market amid low official reserves, currency traders have confirmed.
      The traders said they expected the local currency to continue weakening until the start of tobacco sales at the auction floors.
      Tobacco revenue accounts for about 70 percent of the country's total foreign exchange earnings.
      "We expect the kwacha to continue depreciating, but this will be at a slower rate as compared to the previous 20 days or so," said Lusekelo Kaoloka, vice president for the Dealers Association of Malawi (Deama)*a professional grouping of financial market players.
      Kaoloka estimated that the kwacha had cumulatively depreciated by 5.9 percent as of Friday before wobbling further to 6.25 percent at noon on Tuesday.
      She said demand for foreign currency remains high on the market amid low supplies due to inadequate inflows since tobacco sales are off season.
      The Tobacco Control Commission (TCC) on Tuesday indicated that a decision to open the auction floors would be made on Wednesday when final estimates are due from the fields.
      In recent years, the floors have opened earlier to cushion the local currency from further shocks.
      Published minutes of the 52nd meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) indicated on Monday that gross official reserves had fallen to US$122 million or two-months of import cover on January 25 from US$154.3 million in December.
      The current import cover falls below the required minimum of three months.
      MPC indicated that net foreign assets (NFA) of the Reserve Bank of Malawi are within their target of K5.2 billion (about US$40.32 million) by K50.3 million (about US$390,000).
      The NFA is one of the targets to be fulfilled under the International Monetary Fund's Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility (PRGF) lending arrangement with government.
      Forex dealers quoted the kwacha as trading at 131.5222 (middle rate) to the dollar as of Tuesday morning.

      *****

      Muluzi, agent ordered to pay Finance Bank K93 million
      by Olivia Kumwenda, 15 February 2006 - 06:36:13
      The High Court in Blantyre on Friday ordered that Atupele Properties Limited owned by former President Bakili Muluzi and Knight Frank Limited, agents of the company, to pay K93 million (about US $715,000) to the closed Finance Bank, courts records have indicated.
      The money is a repayment of a debt incurred when Atupele Properties got a K50 million (about US $385,000) loan from the bank in 2004 and the amount has over the years increased due to interest.
      Finance Bank sued the defendants last month demanding payment of the money and got an injunction restraining Knight Frank from paying any other persons except secured creditors before the bank is paid.
      The records show that the Friday court order came after both parties through their lawyers agreed on terms to settle the matter.
      "By consent of the parties hereto it is ordered and directed that the order for injunction obtained on the 30th January 2006 herein be and is hereby discharged and vacated," reads the consent order delivered by Judge George Chimasula Phiri.
      The order continued to say that the vacation of the injunction is on condition that Knight Frank makes an interim payment of K50 million (US $385,000) to the bank forthwith and that the balance of K43 million ( about US $330,000) be paid by Atupele properties in full not later than 30th August, 2006.
      The records also indicate that the matter, where lawyers Dick Chagwamnjira and David Kanyenda were representing the plaintiff and defendants respectively, has since been stayed.
      According to an affidavit filed by Chagwamnjira both Atupele Properties and Knight Frank are liable for the debt as Atupele Properties is a principal debtor and Knight Frank is an agent who offered professional advice on which the bank relied upon.
      The affidavit indicate that when Atupele Properties failed to pay the debt which was called upon, the agents (Knight Frank) promised payment through the sale of Keza Office Park, one of Muluzi's properties.
      "Until now the money has not been paid and despite the promise by the 2nd defendant that once Keza Office Park has been sold they will clear the whole debt, the 2nd defendant are now refusing to pay the sums as promised," partly reads the affidavit filed last month.
      The consent order granted on Friday put to rest a matter where the bank was suing Muluzi, his wife Shanil and brother Friday on the same issue.

      *****

      VSO Malawi gets 8 new volunteers
      by Leonard Sharra, 15 February 2006 - 07:03:17
      The number of Voluntary Services Oversees (VSO) volunteers working in Malawi has now reached 94 following the coming in of eight new volunteers, who are expected to assist in the fields of health, education, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), HIV and Aids and other fields.
      The new volunteers arrived in the country on February 5 before going for a five-day orientation workshop at Riverside Hotel in Lilongwe.
      On Thursday evening, VSO hosted a dinner for the volunteers alongside their front-line managers and other stakeholders at the Hotel.
      Speaking during the dinner, VSO Malawi director Jill Healey expressed hope that the visitors would find their two-year stay in Malawi enjoyable, as has been the case with their predecessors.
      "Most of the volunteers who have been to Malawi have gone back home with fond memories and we hope it will be the same with this group. It is not easy for somebody to adapt to a new environment but we expect Malawians to give these people all the support they will need," said Healey.
      The volunteers are from United Kingdom, America, Germany and Holland. According to Healey, most of them are experts in health and HIV and Aids fields.
      "We agreed with the Department for International Development (DFID) and the Health Ministry that we should bring in more health experts because of the acute shortage of health personnel in the country," said Healey.
      Yvonne OpdeWeegn from Holland, who will be working as HIV and Aids programme advisor at Transport and General Workers Union in Blantyre said she was excited to be in Malawi.
      "It will be an exciting experience and I am eager to learn about Malawi and its people," she said.

      *****

      Chihana accuses Mutharika for firing Chilumpha
      by Chester Nyirongo, 15 February 2006 - 06:37:29
      Aford President Chakufwa Chihana has bashed President Bingu Mutharika for firing Vice President Cassim Chilumpha saying both were elected on the same ticket during 2004 elections and none had the mandate to sack the other.
      The Aford leader expressed his concern Sunday during a rally the party held at Katoto Freedom Park. Chihana said the President should have talked with his Vice before making the decision.
      "Go and tell everybody that the (Republican) Constitution does not mandate the President to fire his Vice as it is done in Kenya. The two (Mutharika and Chilumpha) were both elected on one ticket as president and running mate hence none can fire the other.
      "If I were the vice president, I would call a press conference the day after receiving the letter of dismissal announcing that I have also fired him (the president), because the Constitution is very clear on pages 42, 43 and 44 that the President cannot remove his vice," Chihana told people present at the rally.
      At the rally, Chihana refuted media reports that he had resigned from party politics.
      "How could someone in Lilongwe know about my resignation when my family and party members have never had discussions on the matter?" he asked.
      He said when time for his resignation comes, he would officially inform his party and that after his resignation he would request the party to make him an advisor just as party national chairman Chipimpha Mughogho is.
      Also speaking during the rally, the party's second vice president Beatrice Mwale claimed the budget to be formulated for 2006/07 has not included any developmental issues of the Northern Region.
      She said because the region has very little representation in the National Assembly. According to her, if the region strengthened Aford in parliament just like the Centre does with MCP, the region (North) could equally be considered in terms of development.
      The rally was attended by senior party officials from all the three regions of Malawi.

      *****

      MP thanks Bingu for allowances
      by Edwin Nyirongo, 15 February 2006 - 06:38:13
      Member of Parliament for Nkhata Bay Central Symon Vuwa Kaunda on Sunday thanked president Bingu wa Mutharika for the allowances he got on a trip to Sudan which he claimed has benefited his people.
      Vuwa said this when he distributed free maize to elderly people in his constituency at the boma.
      "The president took me on a trip to Sudan and I was given allowances. It is with these allowances that I have bought the maize I am distributing now and the president should be commended," he said.
      Kaunda explained that he has emulated the president by sharing the allowances with his people through buying maize for them.
      He brushed aside compliments from people that there is no hunger in the district because people grow cassava.
      "There is acute shortage of hunger [sic] in the district and many people sleep on empty stomachs. So to say that there is food in the district is being unfair because even cassava is affected when there is drought," he said.
      The MP wondered how some districts like Mzimba and Nkhota-kota who also plant cassava have benefited from free food distribution saying this proved that even in such places there is hunger.
      He said he decided to buy maize for the people because he could not just watch them, especially the elderly, die as they wait for maize from the government.
      He also noted that old people can not withstand the pressure from the queue at Admarc depots when the maize arrives there.
      Vuwa also took advantage of the meeting to campaign for the 2009 general elections telling the people to vote for him for MP and Bingu wa Mutharika for president.
      "There are good things I and the president are doing in the constituency. And for continuity's sake I urge you to vote for me in the 2009 parliamentary election and president Bingu wa Mutharika in the presidential elections," he said.
      The maize valued K100,000.00 ( US $760) and part of the money came from Crop Save.

      *****

      Agriculturists discuss hunger eradication
      by Lucas Bottoman , 15 February 2006 - 07:06:07
      Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation has urged its staff in all eight Agricultural Development Divisions (ADDs) to prepare proposals for making Malawi a hunger free nation.
      Speaking on Monday during the official opening of a day-long management meeting in Lilongwe, Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation Uladi Mussa said Malawi cannot afford facing food crises almost every year when it has good soils, human expertise and financial resources that can be used to solve food insecurity.
      Mussa challenged the participants to believe that Malawi can have food reserves for over a year or two.
      He said the most encouraging thing is that there is strong political will with agriculture being given the largest allocation in the 2006 budget.
      "The objective of this meeting is to come up with proposals that will take Malawi out of food insecurity problem," said Mussa who encouraged agricultural experts to bring suggestions that will make a difference in the sector.
      He said one of things to be discussed during the meeting was to ensure that the ministry promotes growing of crops suitable for particular areas.

      *****

      Zimbabwean women protesters held

      About 200 women are in police custody in the Zimbabwe capital, Harare, after a protest on Tuesday over food prices and human rights violations.
      The march in Harare on Tuesday followed a similar protest in the second city, Bulawayo, on Monday, where 181 people were detained overnight.

      The protests came as inflation hit 613% - the second highest rate in its history and the current world highest.

      Zimbabwe's economy has been in sharp decline for more than six years.

      'Restore our dignity'

      Both marches were organised by the pressure group Women of Zimbabwe Arise (Woza).

      Between 192 and 233 women demonstrators were arrested in Harare on Tuesday and remained in custody on Wednesday, Otto Saki of Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights told the BBC News website by phone from Harare.

      Several of them were reported to have babies with them as they were arrested.

      The precise number was not clear since some women not involved in the protest were arrested at the same time, Mr Saki said.

      "When some of the women were arrested and taken to the holding cells, some individuals were arrested on different charges - there was a joint operation that also netted vendors and some women alleged to be engaged in prostitution."

      The 181 women arrested in Bulawayo on Monday were released when the attorney general declined to prosecute them, Mr Saki said.

      Woza has tried to stage Valentine's Day protests since new security laws came into force in 2002, but its efforts had previously been thwarted by police.

      Under the laws, public demonstrations require police clearance and unauthorised gatherings are frequently broken up.

      Tuesday's protesters distributed red roses and Valentine's Day cards in central Harare.

      "We were marching to say we want more than day-to-day survival," Woza spokeswoman Jenni Williams told AFP news agency.

      "To coincide with Valentine's Day we were saying we want roses and the dignity they stand for and bread in the form of affordable food for everyone."
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****