news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 14, 2006
      Jail for former Malawi minister
      Former Malawi Education Minister Yusuf Mwawa has been sentenced to five years in jail for fraud and corruption.
      He is the first official convicted since President Bingu wa Mutharika launched an anti-corruption campaign.

      He was sacked last year after being accused of using $1,500 of public funds to pay expenses for his wedding at a hotel in Blantyre.

      His wife, Diana, burst into tears when the sentence was read out. The court was packed with his supporters.

      His conviction last month means he loses his seat in parliament, which he won on the ticket of the former ruling United Democratic Front (UDF).

      His lawyer said he would appeal and had already repaid the money.

      He collapsed in prison last week following a bout of hypertension and diabetes.

      The BBC's Raphael Tenthani in Blantyre says Mwawa looked calm as the sentence was announced.

      President Mutharika has left the UDF, saying the party did not support his drive against corruption.

      *****

      Tensions Rise on Veep Replacement

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 13, 2006
      Posted to the web February 13, 2006

      Gregory Gondwe & Arnold Mnelemba
      Lilongwe

      The "Firing" of Vice President Cassim Chilumpha from his position has created an internal battle for his position between three potential candidates to fill the vacant position. This has caused tensions in the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) between senior party members who harbour ambitions for the Vice Presidency.

      The Veep's sacking has coincided with growing anxiety that has gripped the party over who would be the Presidential running mate for the 2009 DPP Presidential candidate State President Bingu wa Mutharika. The general feeling is that whoever is appointed Vice-President now will be well placed to be the running mate then.

      DPP Secretary General Joyce Banda who is also Gender, Child Welfare and Community Service Minister, Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe and Agriculture and Food Security Minister Uladi Mussa are hotly poised to contest for the post of the Presidential running mate according to highly ranked officials in the party who has indicated that the three could replace Chilumpha. The development also puts to rest the doubts on whether President Mutharika will contest in 2009.

      An impeccable source disclosed to The Chronicle in confidence that tensions have stricken the party as top party gurus are striving to be in favour with the State President whom our source says is favouring the DPP Secretary General Joyce Banda in a bid to coax women to support him as the beginning of attaining 30 percent of women participation in top positions. "I can confirm to you that despite our politicians saying that 2009 is far away, they have already started jockeying for position towards the 2009 general elections. The State President held two meetings with DPP officials and had been holding equally big meetings with cabinet ministers, most of whom are potential candidates in various positions to map the party's way forward. "A lot of things are discussed, some of which I cannot tell you, but be informed that the battle for the presidential running mate is so tight and three big people including Joyce Banda, Uladi Mussa, and Goodall Gondwe are fighting for the position," said the source.

      Joyce Banda said in an interview that it was not possible to suggest that she will be the party's running mate. "We haven't even conducted a convention. I am not even the party's vice president and how do you expect me to be the running mate when I am just a mere interim Secretary General who would possibly not even be holding a position after convention," she said.

      However, DPP Vice President Uladi Mussa, who is strategically placed for the appointment to the position, disagreed with Banda saying it is a presidential prerogative on the choice of a running mate and it is a non-starter for other people to start dreaming of becoming the presidential running mate now. He suggested that it was too early insisting that the position is not contestable. "It is the prerogative of the president to choose a presidential running mate for himself and not any other person in the party," insisted Mussa suggesting that the matter cannot be decided at a convention.

      He added that there is no provision in the party's constitution for party members to choose a presidential running mate through a convention or whatsoever forum but the presidential candidate alone has the mandate to select his own candidate. In this case, he said that Mutharika himself would make the selection. "Yes I can tell you that it is not automatic for vice president of the party to be the presidential running mate, but it is a decision that will be made by the presidential candidate who, in our case is Bingu wa Mutharika. It can be a mistake to choose a presidential running mate at a convention because we can choose someone who may not be loyal or obedient to the president," said Mussa.

      He said that the running mate issue has resurrected now because a few people are just trying to campaign for the position. Our source further said that a portion of party members are in support of Uladi Mussa, while a bunch of members is of the opinion that the vice president is not an automatic presidential candidate and they may opt for Goodall Gondwe while other party faithfuls, including the president would like Joyce Banda to be the running mate in a bid to win women support and promotion of gender balance.

      Goodall Gondwe, when approached on the issue of his candidature described the story as interesting, saying it does not make any sense that his name could be proposed, considering that he has just joined the political fray. He said, all things withstanding, he would be willing to serve the nation in any position he would be entrusted with. "You know what? I have just joined these people in the political circle. How do you expect me to be entrusted with such a big responsibility? I have not heard about it, I am hearing it for the first time from you. Although I am happy to serve my country in the current position as I am, I am ready to serve in any capacity, given a chance," said Gondwe Underground campaigning for the positions, according to our sources has already started and some officials who are optimistic of winning the position through a convention have started calling for an urgent convention. Reports indicate that there are no immediate plans for the party to hold a convention.

      The sources indicated that Mutharika has not yet clearly spelt out his position on whether he was really contesting in the 2009 elections or not. "In the event that he is limited by some unforeseeable state of affairs Mutharika is likely going to settle for Joyce Banda as the DPP's presidential candidate. If that should happen her running mate could be Goodall Gondwe," said the source.

      Joyce Banda, MP for Zomba Malosa in the southern region has been spending most of her time in Nkhata Bay where her husband, former Chief Justice Richard Banda comes from. Analysts have said that it would be very difficult for Mutharika to appoint another person from the south as his running mate unless Banda is seen to be settling in the north.

      Mutharika himself comes from the south.

      Should the President insist on fielding a woman as his running mate then he would have to look to the central or northern regions for a candidate. This would give opportunity for the likes of Kate Kainja and Marjorie Ngaunje.

      The DPP constitution provides that the president, his vice and second vice must come from all three regions of the country. Additionally it also allows for Mutharika to appoint freely from the ranks of the party.

      *****

      Ministers Scrap Ahead of Cabinet Reshuffle

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 13, 2006
      Posted to the web February 13, 2006

      Gregory Gondwe
      Lilongwe

      Hostilities and uncertainty is said to be building up in President Bingu wa Mutharika's cabinet with the in fighting reaching serious level amongst some cabinet ministers ahead of an imminent cabinet reshuffle, The Chronicle has established.

      The reshuffle, to take effect before parliament sits in April will effectively take on board some opposition Members of Parliament who have joined Mutharika's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP).

      A highly placed source told The Chronicle that the pending reshuffle has also fuelled disagreements, which have been broiling in the cabinet for some time.

      Information Minister Patricia Kaliati and Gender, Child Welfare and Community Services Minister Joyce Banda, who are said to be at each other and not seeing eye to eye said in separate interviews that the disagreements were not of either's own making. "If there is anything she has against me then I don't know about it," said Banda, "I have just arrived from the Garden City Clinic in South Africa and I am just coming out of a cabinet meeting where I was together with honourable Kaliati. How can one say I am fighting with her - for what?" wondered Banda who described the claims as a gender related issue.

      She said she is 17 years older than Kaliati and has been working with other women for the past 32 years. She said has never been involved in fighting against a fellow woman. "I don't work in order to fight with anyone, and if they have grudges against me - that's their problem. All I know is that we must work as disciples of the cabinet which is aiming at achieving one goal as missionaries," she said but could not out rightly confirm or dismiss the disagreements that are evident.

      Patricia Kaliati, when asked about the issue of a cabinet reshuffle, she said it was the president's prerogative to retain her in the cabinet or not, insisting that she is doing is what she was advised to do. "Whoever is telling you about my shortfalls is wasting their time because I am here to do this job and to do it well. I want to promise you that I will perform it as I have always done, even when I was Deputy Public Events Minister in Dr Muluzi's Government," she declared.

      She said she knows that some people and the media did not wish her well from the onset as they expected her to fail to deliver as they said she is only a STD 8 graduate who could not handle a cabinet portfolio as huge as that of Information and Tourism. "Now I believe I am doing the job and you are complaining," she said.

      She declared that whoever is fighting her is afraid of her abilities and advised that they need not to because all ministers are in cabinet for a reason.

      The signs that all was not well between the two senior ministers came to the fore last month. They both convened press briefings at the same time but at different venues. They both expected Television Malawi (TVM), which has one camera to cover them both.

      Kaliati who was conducting the briefing together with Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe and Agriculture and Food Security Minister Uladi Mussa convened the press conference at the Central Office of Information (COI) is said to have angrily threatened to fire the TV crew when the meeting waited for them for a long time.

      In an interview, she said this was just a misunderstanding on the part of the others (Banda and Justice Minister Henry Duncan Phoya) who were being covered by Malawi Television at the Ministry of Justice offices because the Lilongwe bureau has a single camera.

      But Banda said she has a whole plate before her and cannot waste time squabbling with another woman. "I have been the one encouraging her as my younger sister and I don't think there is anything I have against her," she said. "When the cabinet reshuffle comes, no one knows, not even the cabinet ministers themselves; we are taken by surprise. So there is no way we can fight over this," she added.

      The source told The Chronicle that the Banda/Kaliati wrangle is just the tip of the iceberg and there is too much animosity and in fighting, a situation, which has been compounded by the pending cabinet reshuffle which is worrying some ministers who are suspecting that they could be casualties.

      Amongst some of the MPs who have indicated that they are happy to work within the DPP government are formerly of MCP Rogers Sithole Kasungu North North East, independent Nkhatabay MP Simon Vuwa Kaunda, Republican Party MP for Chikwawa West Gertrude Kamange Phiri, Second Deputy Speaker and Independent MP Jones Vincent Chingola and Chikwawa North formerly MP for Republican Party MP Alfeo Gobede amongst others.

      *****

      MCP, UDF, Govt Clash Over Fertilizer Subsidy Ownership

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 13, 2006
      Posted to the web February 13, 2006

      Arnold Mnelemba
      Lilongwe

      The main opposition Malawi Congress Party (MCP), the United Democratic Front (UDF), and the government have exchanged bitter words with each claiming to be the architects of the Fertiliser Subsidy Programme.

      Opposition parties have insisted that they initiated the programme and claim that President Bingu wa Mutharika has turned the initiative into a campaign tool for enticing members from opposition parties to join his Democratic Progressive Party (DPP).

      MCP President John Tembo said in an exclusive interview that he is aggravated by the President's inexorable use of the fertiliser subsidy as a campaign tool for winning membership for his DPP from opposition parties when the opposition were, in the true sense the advocates of the universal fertiliser subsidy which he said government was initially against. "What Bingu is doing is criminal. I am totally against people abusing a system which was approved by parliament, that's criminal. If anybody tries to divert the procedure for the provision of fertiliser subsidy and distribution, that's criminal, no matter how high that person is," said Tembo.

      Tembo said it is totally untrue that Mutharika started the universal fertiliser subsidy initiative saying it was MCP that did, and him in particular.

      He further said that he was only doing it for the common good while fulfilling his obligation of serving people in the rural masses as leader of opposition in parliament as well as a parliamentarian. "I will tell you the truth, but if you want to prove it, you can check the Hansard. It is the Malawi Congress Party, and its me personally who started this current universal fertiliser subsidy - not Bingu, clearly not. Bingu and Muluzi announced in Mangochi in 2002 or 2003 that they were to provide for a fertiliser subsidy and they even announced the price at K1,400 for a 50kg bag, Did it happen during that time? "As a result, fertiliser was selling at two thousand and something.

      They failed completely and this is why we moved a motion for universal fertiliser subsidy. I am disappointed now that parliament, having agreed and approved the motion, is finding that government is doing something completely different," Tembo said.

      However, government spokesperson Patricia Kaliati said Tembo is missing the point, saying he cannot be the right person to start universal fertiliser subsidy because his party is not ruling the country. "How can Tembo say he is the founder of universal subsidy as if he is parliament himself? Bingu raised the issue at a cabinet meeting and came up with the prices that are being implemented. It is sad to note that some politicians are trying to politicise the issue that is assisting a lot of people in the country," said Kaliati.

      UDF spokesperson Sam Mpasu totally disagreed with Kaliati saying the MCP deserves to be given credit for strongly advocating for the universal fertiliser subsidy. "Bingu and his cabinet feared a Budget shoot down because MCP made it clear that they were not going to support the Budget if a universal fertiliser subsidy was not incorporated in it. That really is why government bowed in the end. It is unfair for government to be using the initiative as a campaign tool for their DPP. That is broad daylight robbery," said Mpasu.

      Both Tembo and Mutharika have been telling people in their respective public rallies that they are the architects of the universal fertiliser subsidy that has attempted to make the farm input affordable for Malawi's subsistence farmers. Opposition parties also accuse government of abusing the facility by discriminating against some people claiming the distribution and availability is based on regional and political affiliation to the DPP.

      *****

      Kits to Ensure Safe Delivery as Women Fail to Visit Health Facilities

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 13, 2006
      Posted to the web February 13, 2006

      Arnold Mnelemba
      Lilongwe

      Studies conducted in different parts of the country have revealed that the prevalence rate of anaemia in pregnant mothers is on the increase with some expectant women failing to make visit to health facilities because of weakness caused by poor nutrition due to the reigning hunger crisis, United Nations Food and Population Agency (UNFPA) representative Esparance Fundira has said.

      Fundira said this in Lilongwe when she graced a handover ceremony of Reproductive Health kits to health workers in Balaka, Chikwawa, Chiradzulu, Machinga, Mwanza, Mulanje, Nsanje, Phalombe, Thyolo, and Zomba intended to assist them in providing quality Reproductive Health services.

      Fundira said the current food shortage will have negative effects on pregnant women as some would find it difficult to travel health facilities while in labour for delivery because of being too weak due to insufficient nutrition. "The delivery kits will be used at both health centre and district level in addressing problems faced by mothers during delivery. Research also reveals that the prevalence of anaemia in pregnant mothers increases and some mothers are not able to visit health facilities because of weakness due to hunger. We are also aware that during such a period there are increased cases of rape, hence we are providing post rape kits for emergency contraception," said Fundira.

      She encouraged the Traditional Birth Attendants (TBA's) to be prepared to assist women who are unable to reach health facilities to deliver. "We are encouraging skilled attendants at birth during such times when pregnant women may be too weak to travel to the health facility for delivery hence we have also provided clean delivery kits for TBS's so that they can provide a clean and safe delivery at community level." Fundira added Fundira said UNFPA's objectives are to ensure that women and young people are protected from sexually transmitted diseases and HIV infection, women deliver in a clean and safe environment and that sexual exploitation is prevented.

      However, UNFPA according to Fundira has a mountain to climb in as far as realising and achieving its objectives is concerned as studies conducted in different parts of the world reveal that during humanitarian crisis there is always an increase in number of women and girls who sell sex as means of obtaining food, an increase in sexually transmitted diseases, teenage pregnancies, abortions and gender based violence.

      UNFPA donated the reproductive health kit costing to about K12million and so far, equipment amounting to about K4million has already arrived in the country. The next consignment of equipment is expected to arrive next month.

      Fundira emphasised her institution's commitment to working with government in both provision of financial and technical support as required.

      Minister of Health Hetherwick Ntaba was the guest of honour at the handover ceremony and commended UNFPA for the support which he said has come at the right and appropriate time.

      Ntaba said UNFPA's gesture will go along way in assisting government achieve the ambition of a safe and health Malawi.

      *****

      UDF fears for Chilumpha life
      by Zainah Liwanda, 13 February 2006 - 05:19:21
      The United Democratic Front (UDF) has said it would hold government responsible for anything that would happen to Vice President Cassim Chilumpha following the withdrawal of his security detail.
      UDF spokesperson Sam Mpasu said in an interview Sunday that by withdrawing Chilumpha's security, government was putting the VP's life at risk.
      "We hope they have not done that to kill him. You cannot remove security without putting somebody's life in danger. If government is going to be in contempt of court, then God help this country," said Mpasu.
      Mpasu's remarks come in the wake of reports that government has defied a High Court order by failing to restore Chilumpha's security and staff removed after President Bingu wa Mutharika fired the VP last Thursday.
      High Court registrar Sylvester Kalembera said it was up to the aggrieved party to file a complaint and the court will determine whether or not government was in contempt.
      Attorney General Ralph Kasambara was quoted in the media on Sunday saying the court did not say that Chilumpha was still VP, but rather stopped government from removing him from his office, a thing he said they did not do.
      Mutharika said in his letter to Chilumpha that the VP had not been attending cabinet meetings as required and publicly criticised the same government he is part of. The President also said Chilumpha defied an order that all government officials should relocate from Blantyre to Lilongwe.
      But Mpasu dismissed the allegations, accusing government of using cabinet as a forum for discussing Mutharika's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) issues, wondering whether government expected the VP to attend such meetings.
      "We do not agree that the VP has not been working. How do you work when your budget has been cut? When you go to a cabinet meeting and instead of discussing national matters, you are discussing party matters and castigating others," he added.
      Asked why it was only the VP who had complained about the budget cut yet Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe is on record to have said different government departments would experience budget cuts, Mpasu said a VP is not like an ordinary minister because he needs security wherever he goes.
      Mpasu said their lawyers would look at the possibility of filling a contempt of court complaint.
      But government spokesperson Patricia Kaliati dismissed Mpasu's claims wondering why Chilumpha never complained to government or even went to court if his work was affected because of inadequate funding.
      Kaliati said government was complying with his voluntary resignation, stressing Chilumpha is no longer entitled to state security.
      "If they want to do something to him, let them go ahead, but as government we do not see why we can have those motives. Why can't he go and occupy the house in Lilongwe. Where has he been all this time? I thought he said he would not respond to issues in the press. Today he needs you, the press? Those are lame excuses. If he had problems, there are right forums to present such problems," said Kaliati.
      The government spin doctor also accused UDF of failing to advise Chilumpha to carry out national engagements rather than concentrating on party work, adding the VP was being paid by taxpayers and not the party.
      Kaliati also wondered how Chilumpha presided over the election of a UDF shadow cabinet yet he was the country's Second Citizen, saying he should have recused himself.
      Commenting on assertions that government discussed party issues in cabinet, Kaliati said it was not correct because the cabinet comprises of ministers from various parties such as UDF and Republican Party (RP). She challenged Chilumpha to produce evidence on his claims.
      'The UDF contributed to his failure. They watched him fall and today they are pretending they like him. Chilumpha must know these people are fighting for the position of chairperson in the party. He has been drawing a monthly salary of K400,000 [about $3,000} for eleven months for doing nothing. Is that fair to the poor people who pay tax?" wondered Kaliati.

      *****

      Kamuzu family rejects open viewing of his body
      by Zainah Liwanda, 13 February 2006 - 05:55:23
      The family of the former Head of State late Hastings Kamuzu Banda has rejected government's proposal to have a mechanical option of lifting up the body of the country's first president for viewing, arguing the move is not in conformity with Malawian culture.
      Kamuzu's family member, Ken Kandodo, confirmed the development in interview on Sunday. He said instead the mausoleum would have a tomb with a big portrait of Banda.
      According to Kandodo, following the family's rejection of the proposal, the current design has been made in such away that the tomb would be upstairs and a chamber for family members and VIP's downstairs.
      "Sometime back there was talk that they wanted to have a mechanical option whereby the body would be lifted up and down, but that was turned down by the family. The family said this is not in conformity with our culture," said Kandodo.
      He added that the current design puts the tomb upstairs and besides it a portrait of the late president while below that is a chamber for family members and VIPs.
      Kandodo, who is also a member of the construction committee of the mausoleum, said discussions for the official opening are still underway.
      Last week a visit to the family in Kasungu by government officials failed at the last minute because the ministers were busy in a meeting.
      Various media houses were contacted to accompany the ministers to Kasungu but were told the trip had been concealed at the eleventh hour.
      Banda said the family did not know why government wanted to meet them because the meeting was cancelled.
      Youths Sports and Culture Minister Jaffalie Mussa was quoted in The Nation recently, saying that the mausoleum would be opened soon.
      The construction of the K60 million (about $460,000) mausoleum for the country's first president raised mixed reactions with some quarters arguing it was not a pro poor expenditure while others said Banda needed a decent resting place for, among other reasons, steering the country to independence and economic prosperity.

      *****

      Zim courts won't 'spring anyone into power', says judge

      Masvingo, Zimbabwe

      14 February 2006 09:49

      A top Zimbabwean judge has said it is not the duty of the judiciary to spring anyone into political office, in what virtually amounts to a rebuke against opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai who has petitioned the courts to nullify President Robert Mugabe's 2002 re-election victory.

      Tsvangirai, who lost by about 400 000 votes to Mugabe, wants the courts to overturn the election result and order a fresh ballot, arguing that the veteran president used violence and outright fraud to cheat him of victory.

      But Justice Chinembiri Bhunu, a senior judge of Zimbabwe's High Court, said politicians should not relocate political battles into the courts, but should go to the people to canvass their support in order to win or retain political office.

      "Let me warn those who want to use the courts to gain political power that it is not the duty of the courts to spring anyone into power or to maintain anyone in power," said Justice Bhunu on Monday, marking the opening of the High Court circuit in Masvingo.

      He added: "Those wishing to do so should go to the people to garner support because it is the people who can give them such power and not the courts."

      The judge said Zimbabwe's courts have acted with professionalism and independence in dealing with political disputes between Tsvangirai's opposition Movement for Democratic Change and Mugabe's ruling Zanu-PF party. He said those criticising the bench are doing so to demonise Zimbabwe as punishment for Mugabe's seizure of white-owned land.

      Zimbabwe's bench, reconstituted after Mugabe purged independent judges, has been criticised by, among others, the African Commission on Human and People's Rights for failure to defend the rights of ordinary citizens and political opponents of the government.

      The courts' failure to resolve expeditiously Tsvangirai's petition against Mugabe's re-election three years ago as well as various other poll petitions by the opposition have often been cited as an example of the bench's unwillingness to rise up to its role as a neutral arbiter in cases seen as politically sensitive.

      The refusal of the courts to grant orders sought by human rights lawyers to bar the government from evicting thousands of families during its controversial urban clean-up campaign last year has also been held as proof that the bench would rather avoid confrontation with the executive than stand up for the rights of defenceless citizens.

      Tsvangirai's petition is now before the Supreme Court, the highest court in the country, after the opposition leader sought relief from the court, saying the High Court had inordinately delayed in finalising the matter three years after it was lodged. -- ZimOnline

      *****

      Zimbabwe inflation soars to 613%

      Angus Shaw | Harare, Zimbabwe

      14 February 2006 02:26

      Inflation in Zimbabwe soared to 613% in January, the state Central Statistical Office said on Tuesday.

      Zimbabwe is suffering its worst economic crisis since independence from Britain in 1980, blamed largely on disruptions in the agriculture-based economy caused by years of drought and the often-violent seizure of thousands of white-owned commercial farms for redistribution to new black farmers.

      Inflation hit a record 623% in early 2004. Last month, the central bank predicted it would reach 800% by March, the highest rate in the world.

      Prices of food and nonalcoholic drinks have risen 785,5% since last January, the statistical office said in its monthly report. Non-food items are up an average 533%.

      The highest price increases recorded during the year were for postal services, up 3 000%, bicycles, 2 687%, and medicines, 1 367%.

      On a month-to-month basis, prices were up 27% over December.

      An average family of five now needs a monthly income of at least 20-million Zimbabwe dollars ($202) to survive in reasonable conditions, including eight million Zimbabwe dollars ($80) for food, the report estimated.

      But unemployment is running at 70%, and an estimated two million street vendors lost their livelihoods in a highly criticised slum clearance campaign last year that also targeted informal traders.

      The Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions, the main labour federation, said very few workers earn more than five million Zimbabwe dollars ($52) a month despite intermittent increases in recent months that also helped fuel inflation.

      Consumer organisations estimate real inflation in excess of 1 000%, citing inflated black market prices for scarce food and gasoline that are not factored into the official rate.

      The United Nations food agency distributed emergency supplies to three million
      people in January and estimates five million will likely need help before the next harvests begin in April. Its experts noted many families survive on one meagre meal a day.

      The value of the Zimbabwe currency has plummeted. In October, the Zimbabwe Reserve Bank abandoned a fixed exchange rate of Z$26 000 to the US dollar, allowing the rate to fall to 99 000-1. The central bank capped the rate at that level, pushing up black market currency exchanges to 160 000-1 this week.

      By contrast, inflation in Zambia, once Zimbabwe's poor neighbour, is running at 12%. Neighbouring South Africa recorded single digit inflation last year. - Sapa-AP
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22 8:06 AM

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****