news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 6, 2006
      Malawi minister guilty of fraud
      By Raphael Tenthani
      BBC News, Blantyre, Malawi

      Malawi's former education minister, Yusuf Mwawa, has been found guilty of four counts of fraud and corruption.
      This is the first conviction since President Bingu wa Mutharika launched his anti-corruption campaign in 2004.

      He was sacked last year after being accused of using $1, 500 of public funds to pay expenses for his wedding at a hotel in Blantyre.

      His wife, Diana, burst into tears following the guilty verdict. The court was packed with his supporters.

      The conviction means he loses his seat in parliament, which he won on the ticket of the former ruling United Democratic Front (UDF).

      He had denied the charges but offered to pay back the money.

      He is to be sentenced on 9 February.

      Two of the charges carry jail sentences of up to five years, according to Gustave Kaliwo, head of the Anti-Corruption Bureau.

      President Mutharika has left the UDF, saying the party did not support his drive against corruption.

      *****

      ACB wants Muluzi for abuse of office
      by Gedion Munthali, 04 February 2006 - 04:47:12
      The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) wants former President Bakili Muluzi, currently recuperating in the United Kingdom, for abuse of office for pardoning Sabir Suleman who was serving a five-year jail term for attempting to bribe a High Court Judge, Maxon Mkandawire, with K1 million (about $8,000), a highly placed source has confided in the Weekend Nation.
      The source said in an interview on Thursday investigations were already concluded and a report was already written which includes letters which Muluzi wrote to facilitate the release of Suleman who is reportedly in Dubai.
      "I think what is remaining is for the ACB to arrest Muluzi and charge him with abuse of office," said the source, and added: "This would have already happened if Muluzi did not leave the country for medical attention in the United Kingdom."
      ACB Director Gustave Kaliwo could not be reached for comment on Friday.
      Director of Public Prosecutions Ishmail Wadi said he was not aware of the issue, but thought the ACB could provide some information.
      "I do not have information on that issue, but the ACB could have some details on it," said Wadi.
      Deputy Commissioner of Prisons McDonald Chaona confirmed that Muluzi pardoned Suleman on May 13, 2004, 11 days before the former President left office.
      "Suleman's brother wrote a letter to Muluzi on May 13, 2004 informing him that Suleman had been sick ever since he went to prison. The former President then directed that Suleman should be released and taken out of the country for treatment," said Chaona.
      He said Muluzi signed the pardon order between May 16 and 17 May, 2004. This was just a day before the general elections which were scheduled to take place on May 18 but were later pushed to May 20.
      Kaliwo, who prosecuted Suleman while in private practice, said immediately after the pardon that the development confused him.
      "If we are serious about corruption, all state machinery should work together to make sure that corruption is not tolerated. I am confused with this development," said Kaliwo.
      At the time he was freed, the ACB were investigating him for allegedly feigning illness so that he continues to stay in hospital rather than in prison.

      *****

      Chilumpha catches govt unawares
      by Olivia Kumwenda, 06 February 2006 - 05:45:54
      Vice President Cassim Chilumpha stunned government on Sunday when he pitched up at the National Anti-Corruption Day commemoration in Blantyre after organisers had assumed that he was not going to attend.
      Chilumpha, who had been shunning government events, was conspicuously missing from the protocol list on the day's programme of events, but speakers at the function acknowledged his presence.
      Under the theme, "Fight Corruption: Develop Malawi" the commemoration graced by President Bingu wa Mutharika was held in the Comesa hall.
      The President was upon arrival welcomed by Justice Minister Henry Phoya and Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) director Gustave Kaliwo, among others.
      Asked to comment on Chilumpha's missing from the programme, public events principal secretary a Mr. Juwa referred the reporter to Kaliwo.
      Kaliwo also refused to comment saying it is an issue to do with public events.
      But deputy Information Minister John Bande said Chilumpha's name did not appear anywhere on the programme because he was not expected to attend.
      "We were caught unawares. We didn't expect him because he has not been attending government functions for some time so we just went ahead to print the programme without involving him," said Bande who was silent on whether the VP was invited or not.
      He, however, said government was pleased with Chilumpha's attendance as it shows that the VP is part and parcel of the anti-corruption drive adding, "we hope he will continue participating in government business as the VP of the country."
      Chilumpha's press officer Horace Nyaka said his office does not want to talk about anything to do with the modalities of the event.
      And in his address, Mutharika said he was sad to note that corruption is still rampant is Malawi but added it will not weaken him in his fight against evil.
      "You will recall that attempts have been made to impeach me because of my strong stand against corruption. I have been told that the move to impeach me will stop if I stop prosecuting those that are corrupt. But having been threatened with impeachment, my determination in the fight against corruption is even stronger," said Mutharika.
      The President also said it is not fair for the opposition to say that government and the ACB have produced nothing in the anti-corruption drive for the past year.
      "You may wish to know that one high profile politician and former cabinet minister, has been found guilty of corruption. Others will follow shortly," warned Mutharika.
      Kaliwo also admitted that there is still more to be done in the fight against corruption and that at the moment the bureau has cases in excess of 1000.
      "We are setting up mechanisms to reduce the cases by 80 percent by the end of this year. Some cases might be closed because we can't trace witnesses," said Kaliwo.
      In his remarks, Phoya said his ministry will continue supporting the ACB in the anti-corruption drive as the fight requires collective effort.

      *****

      CCJP takes violence to the pulpit
      by Nation Reporter, 06 February 2006 - 06:19:17
      The Catholic Commission of Justice and Peace (CCJP) has taken the fight against rising cases of gender-based violence to the pulpit by producing homily guidelines on the issue.
      Zomba Catholic Diocese CCJP Secretary Clemence Alfazema said in a statement that the Church took this step after realising that instead of limiting itself to condemning errors, it was better to guide families in their daily lives through its teachings.
      He said the ugly face of violence against women and children as reported in the media was an indication that couples, on their part, have not carried out their duties to love and honour each other.
      "As a Christian community and a nation, let us all break the silence around gender-based violence and, through our teachings and discussion groups, raise awareness on its effects on women, girls, children as well as men themselves," said Alfazema.
      In its guidelines, Zomba CCJP also urges marriage counsellors and family movements to provide a good preparation to the sacrament of marriage.
      "The whole Christian community should develop ways to support fidelity to the sacrament of marriage. Married couples should observe the elementary demands of justice towards their spouses and their children," reads the guidelines.
      Zomba CCJP's comments on the issue come in the wake of recent media reports where, among other things, a man chopped off both hands on his estranged wife in Dowa, another man killing his pregnant wife in Karonga for refusing to have sex and a businessman deliberately infecting HIV to a 14-year-old girl.

      *****

      UDF to take Sauka, Chilembwe pledges to Parliament
      by Zainah Liwanda, 06 February 2006 - 06:03:14
      United Democratic Front (UDF) has expressed its intention to table in Parliament the issue surrounding construction of houses for families of the late Michael Sauka*composer of the National Anthem*and John Chilembwe, the country's first freedom fighter.
      This comes in the wake of reports that the widow to the late Sauka was suffering and had been evicted from a Malawi Housing Corporation (MHC) house in Blantyre's Ndirande Township and now leaves desperately in Balaka.
      Former President Bakili Muluzi promised to build houses for the families of Sauka and Chilembwe as a token of appreciation for their contributions to the nation.
      But during this year's commemoration of Chilembwe Day in Chiradzulu on January 15, President Bingu wa Mutharika said his government would not implement promises made by the previous administration.
      UDF Deputy Leader in the House Friday Jumbe said on Thursday that if government had put down its foot by not implementing the promise, then his party would table the issue in Parliament.
      "I thought development was like a relay race. They had to start from where we stopped. These people did quite a lot for the nation and their families really deserve to be recognised. Any way, my party will take the issue for discussion in Parliament," said Jumbe.
      He said it was hypocritical on the part of government to say it would not implement promises of the former administration saying projects such as the mausoleum for the late head of state, Hastings Kamuzu Banda and the Zomba-Jali-Phalombe Road were UDF promises which the Mutharika administration has implemented.
      But government spokesperson Patricia Kaliati, in a separate interview, said there was no way government would implement promises of the last regime. She said each administration develops its own agenda and development plans to accomplish.
      Kaliati said construction of Kamuzu mausoleum was not for campaign. She said government thought it wise to honour the country's first president.
      The minister said UDF was good at making empty promises which it never fulfilled.
      Boniface Dulani, Chancellor College-based political analyst, warned government against politicising important promises.
      Dulani, however, said it was bad for the UDF to make promises that it never implemented saying it was a lesson for the next government's to desist.

      *****

      Zambia: Fertile but hungry
      By Peter Biles
      BBC southern Africa correspondent

      As you drive around the Zambian countryside, to the north and south of the capital, Lusaka, it is sometimes difficult to understand why there is a food crisis in this country.

      The fields are green, fertile and full of maize. There is also an abundance of water. It has been raining heavily.

      These are promising signs for the forthcoming harvest.

      However, the food shortages that Zambians are experiencing at present, with more than 1.2m people in need of food assistance this year, stem from the drought in 2004-5.

      Like many other countries in sub-Saharan Africa, this is about far more than just poor rainfall.

      There are deeper, long-term problems that cause hunger.

      Lost out

      For the last five years, Emily Miyanda and her husband, Steve, have run Pamusha Farm, about 15km from Lusaka.

      In a near perfect setting, the well-irrigated seven-hectare farm produces maize, cabbages, tomatoes and other vegetables.

      "We're employing local workers here and helping the government to secure jobs. But in return, we'd like some government support in buying seeds and fertiliser. That would make life easier," says Emily Miyanda.

      Zambian farmers lost out on subsidised agricultural inputs when tough World Bank and International Monetary Fund conditions were imposed.

      However, Zambia's Minister of Agriculture Mundia Sikatana admits that more must now be done to help small farmers like the Miyanda family.

      "We are giving fertiliser and seeds to 150,000 farmers but that's not enough. It's a drop in the ocean. One million small farmers need assistance," he said.

      "We hope to improve on our numbers in this year's budget because it's much cheaper for the country to support the farmer than to import food".

      Food exporter

      In the meantime, farmers are being urged to diversify and end their over-dependence on maize. Some are turning to sorghum, sweet potatoes and ground nuts.

      Mr Sikatana says he would also like to see Zambians growing cassava, a crop much favoured in neighbouring Angola and Democratic Republic of Congo.

      In this way, Zambia would have the potential of returning to the days when it was a food exporter.

      One problem for farmers is access to markets.

      In spite of the fact that the Lusaka skyline lies in the distance, Pamusha Farm can only be reached by several kilometres of poor dirt roads.

      "Some of the roads in Zambia are just impassable," says Henry Malumo, co-ordinator of the Global Call To Action Against Poverty.

      "The issue of infrastructure is a major one. There's no way you can expect peasant farmers to lift themselves out of poverty when there are such bad roads."

      Farming sector decimated

      In the rural communities, hunger is directly related to poverty.

      At the Kapopo primary school in the Naluyanda district near Lusaka, teacher Gift Shiyanga says that around half the 500 children are not getting enough food.

      "They come from families that are poor. They are starving," he says.

      Perhaps the biggest cause of food insecurity in southern Africa is the HIV/Aids crisis.

      This has decimated the farming sector.

      Ninety minutes' drive south of Lusaka is the farming town of Mazabuka.

      The Ndeke Community Centre there provides support for those who are chronically ill, most of whom are HIV positive.

      Hunger trap

      Under a thatched rondavel hut, 30-year old Gideon Lungu sits listlessly in the summer heat.

      He is suffering from tuberculosis, and like many here, he looks gaunt and weak.

      "Most of these people are farmers who can no longer work their fields," says Samuel Banda who works for a local non-governmental organisation called Programme Urban Self Help (Push).

      "As a result the season is ending without any farming activity, and there is widespread hunger."

      Life expectancy in Zambia has fallen from 50 to 32.

      In a country that depends so heavily on agriculture, the loss of so many bread-winners is having a catastrophic effect on the farming sector and on society in general.

      Many orphans are now being brought up by grandparents and elderly relatives who struggle to take on the burden of farming.

      On the road back to Lusaka, I encounter an afternoon thunderstorm.

      For half an hour, the countryside soaks up the torrential rain.

      Drought and hunger are synonymous, but the storm is a potent reminder that it is Zambia's long-term developmental needs that must be addressed if people are to escape the hunger trap.

      *****

      Tanzania's chief of police robbed

      The home of Tanzania's police chief Omar Mahita has been burgled in the latest in a spate of armed robberies.
      The gang cordoned off the streets, firing their guns into the air outside his private house in the Segerea suburb on the skirts of Dar es Salaam.

      Last month, the police launched a shoot-to-kill policy in order to crack down on criminals.

      A BBC correspondent says many people have lost faith in the police and have little sympathy for Mr Mahita.

      Our correspondent, Vicky Ntetema, says people last week called on him to resign.

      Cash worth about $170 was stolen in the daring raid, along with other goods.

      *****

      Zimbabwe power cuts 'to worsen'

      Power cuts already blighting Zimbabwe are set to get worse because of a lack of coal supplies for electricity generators, state-run media reports.
      The state electricity provider is also reported to be unable to pay its debts to suppliers and transport companies.

      Coal-fired stations in the capital, Harare, and in the second city, Bulawayo, have already been shut down.

      Zimbabwe's main overseas power provider South Africa says it has temporarily halted supplies for maintenance work.

      "I would like to bring to the attention of all consumers that the current load shedding due to supply shortfall is set to worsen," head of the power regulatory commission, Mavis Chidzonga, was quoted in Zimbabwe's Sunday Mail as saying.

      'Precarious'

      She warned that electricity production at the Hwange facility servicing north-west Zimbabwe may also have to be reduced due to the shortages.

      She said the recent coal shortages had been made worse by the state electricity provider's inability to pay its debts to suppliers and transporters.

      The government has previously refused to approve inflation-linked hikes in electricity fees.

      But Ms Chidzonga said management reforms and massive tariff increases were needed to address what she called the country's "precarious" power situation.

      She told the newspaper they were trying to obtain additional supplies from Zambia. But BBC correspondents say this is unlikely as drought is affecting that country's hydro-electric power service.

      Harare is already experiencing daily black-outs. The country's regular cuts in power and water supplies are blamed on acute shortages in hard currency, gasoline and imported spare parts.

      The country imports around 40% of its power from South Africa, DR Congo and Mozambique.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****