    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 2, 2006
      Race for UDF presidency hots up
      by Isaac Masingati, 02 February 2006 - 06:54:13
      Barely a week after suggestions by UDF senior members to reintroduce the position of party president, the race for the hot seat is already on with aspirants lobbying for support.
      Seven senior party members are said to have shown their interest to head the party ahead of the 2009 general elections although they will not be automatic presidential candidates.
      They include former personal assistant on political affairs to former president Bakili Muluzi, Dr Size Bwanali; party spokesperson Sam Mpasu; sports minister in the former regime Moses Dossi; leader of UDF in Parliament Leonard Mangulama, UDF shadow Finance Minister Friday Jumbe; acting party chair and vice state president Cassim Chilumpha and former NDA leader Brown Mpinganjira.
      Speaking in separate interviews, Bwanali and Dossi confirmed campaigning for the position, Mpasu reserved his comment, Mangulama denied lobbying while Chilumpha, Jumbe and Mpinganjira could not be reached.
      Bwanali said the proposal for the change of the party constitution to reactivate the seat of president had come at an opportune time for a new generation of politicians to take over.
      He, therefore, said he was already doing ground work to become UDF president should the party reintroduce the position in its constitution
      "My interest comes from the people. They want me to lead the party and I cannot deny the people their wish having come from the people myself. I am lobbying yes," said Bwanali.
      Bwanali said he was bracing for stiff competition but was not scared because he would use his political philosophy [he gave the former regime] to ascend to the seat of presidency.
      The former political advisor said the UDF government had benefited a lot from his political intelligence and therefore sees nothing that can prevent him from leading the party to successful general elections.
      Former Sports Minister Moses Dossi could not also hide his interest for party presidency saying his was an open secret.
      Dossi said he had stepped up his campaign at both district and executive level in the UDF to head the party particularly now that there was talk of bringing back the post of president in the party constitution.
      Said Dossi: "I know that my colleagues are already lobbying but I am not worried because my interest is common knowledge. I want the presidency," said Dossi.
      Dossi said the party needs an energetic and focused politician like him to bring the it back into government.
      Dossi aid he was hopeful the party constitution would change to provide for the position of presidency while maintain chairmanship as has been the case with the African National Congress in South Africa.
      "Campaign I will do because the UDF will not go into 2009 elections blindly. It has learned its lessons. I am taking it there," said Dossi.
      Reports reaching The Nation indicate that Mangulama is also lobbying for the position but he has denied any interest.
      Mangulama is reported to have met district members from Zomba on Sunday where he sought their support.
      "I was of course in Zomba on the said day but I am not party to that. I think people are just overzealous," said Mangulama.
      Asked to comment on reports that he was one of the presidential hopefuls to fill the vacancy in UDF, party spokesperson Sam Mpasu could neither confirm nor deny only saying he would rather wait for the right time.
      Mpasu said the UDF had not yet changed its constitution and there was no position for presidency as such he would not say whether he was interested.
      "I have been party secretary general between 1997 and 1999 and national executive member ever since. These are very senior positions. I will therefore wait to cross the bridge when I come to it," said Mpasu.
      Chilumpha, Mpinganjira and Jumbe could no be reached on their mobile phones for comments.
      But reports say they have shown interest as they consider the party presidency a stepping stone to the 2009 presidential candidacy for the UDF.
      Mpinganjira, who is tipped to be the likely presidential candidate for the party in 2009, was however quoted in a recent edition of Weekend Nation as saying he was not too sure he would want to be the party's presidential candidate.

      MHRC against water boards sale
      by Chikumbutso Ndaferankhande, 02 February 2006 - 07:45:13
      The Malawi Human Rights Commission (MHRC) said government should consider citizens' social, economic and political rights before privatising water boards in the country.
      MHRC Chairperson Dorothy Nyasulu, accompanied by her Executive Director Emiliana Tembo, told a press conference on Wednesday in Blantyre that economic, social and cultural rights apart from prioritising civil and political rights in its agenda.
      "In economic, social and cultural rights we are talking about the right to water, sanitation, the right to adequate housing, health, the right to scientific research among others. Therefore, we appeal to government to consider this when thinking of, say, privatising water boards," said Nyasulu.
      She said privatising the water boards will compromise access to safe water.
      On the other hand, Nyasulu welcomed government's decision to relocate street vendors.
      She said much as the vendors have a right to trade anywhere to earn a living, they at the same have the responsibility to keep the city clean and free from congestion, a situation that is possible with the evacuation of the traders from the streets.
      Nyasulu said MHRC's goals are in line with the biannual fifth conference of African National Human Rights Institutions held in Abuja, Nigeria last November which was attended by 24 African countries including Malawi.

      Nangwale clings to Police property
      by Zainah Liwanda, 02 February 2006 - 07:04:07
      Former Inspector General of Police (IG) Mary Nangwale is still clinging to a Police house, vehicles and security despite being written by the Office of the President and Cabinet (OPC) to surrender them, The Nation has established.
      Nangwale, who was rejected by Parliament, a decision that was upheld by the courts, was appointed security advisor to President Bingu wa Mutharika but she has not handed over to the acting IG, Often Thyolani, according a highly placed source at Police Headquarters in Lilongwe.
      Police Public Relations Officer Willie Mwaluka confirmed on Tuesday in an interview that OPC wrote Nangwale but she has not yet handed over, saying" she will do that soon."
      "Instructions indeed came from OPC. It's true that she has not handed over," said Mwaluka.
      The police publicist said OPC have identified new premises for the former police boss and that she would be moving out soon.
      Nangwale cut thee phone when contacted on the issue.
      When this reporter called again two minutes later, someone, identifying himself as Reverend Namondwe answered indicating that Nangwale was very far and could be available after 30 minutes.
      Asked to explain which house Nangwale was allocated and why she had not returned Police property, newly appointed Principal Secretary responsible for administration at OPC Hawa Ndilowe asked for time to consult.
      Chairperson of the Police Service Commission Justice James Kalaile said they are not responsible for disciplining the IG as she is answerable to the head of state.
      "We are only responsible for the deputy IG, downwards. The IG is answerable to the head of state," said Kalaile
      The source confided in The Nation that Nangwale had not moved to the new premises because she was not sure of her security.
      The source also claimed that Nangwale had packed the official vehicles she was using and now driving the VX allocated to her by the OPC.
      According to the source, Thyolani was finding it difficult to operate because there has not been any handovers.
      But Thyolani declined to comment on any thing regarding the issue, saying Mwaluka as spokesperson was better placed to do so?
      Nangwale was last sighted with her bodyguard superintendent Liwonde who is on the police pay roll at Kamuzu International Airport when Mutharika presided over the commissioning of a new Air Malawi Boeing 737-500 last week.
      Parliament rejected Nangwale the first female IG in southern Africa.
      The Constitutional Court in Lilongwe after a judicial review in the matter upheld Parliament's decision.
      She appealed to the Supreme Court of Appeal which also upheld the Constitutional Court's decision.
      Mutharika thereafter appointed her special advisor on security matters.
      According to the Constitution, Nangwale can be nominated again as IG.

      Maneb grilled on 'sexed up' MSCE results
      by Bright Sonani, 02 February 2006 - 07:02:50
      The Education Committee of Parliament last week summoned the Malawi National Examinations Board (Maneb) to explain the controversy surrounding the results of the 2005 Malawi Schools Certificate of Education (MSCE) examinations.
      The Committee summoned Maneb management following concerns that the results, described as an improvement from the previous years, were said to have been "sexed up" by reducing the minimum passing rate per subject to 16 per cent thereby giving a chance to undeserving students to pass with impressive grades.
      Chairman of the Committee Steve Malamba confirmed in an interview that Maneb was summoned in Lilongwe last Friday to explain the allegations but he said his committee was not impressed with the explanation given.
      "The Executive Director told us that they don't have any fixed passing mark for a particular subject, which means in my understanding that they would tamper with the passing rate as much as they want," said Malamba.
      He also said the Maneb management told the committee that consideration is also given to schools according to the level of standards in terms of learning materials and calibre of teachers.
      But Malamba said the committee was also not satisfied since he said all schools use the same syllabus and it would not be fair to treat them differently.
      "That is day light robbery and not fair to Malawians," he added.
      Malamba said the summoning of Maneb was part of the on-going consultative process between his committee and other stakeholders in education.
      He said apart from the examination board, the committee also met with the University of Mzuzu, University of Malawi, Malawi Institute of Education, the National Library and the Ministry of Education.
      Malamba said the next step was to take up the matter with the Ministry of Education.
      "I really don't know whether to take any further steps but after having these consultative meeting we hope to take up the issues raised with the Ministry of Education since the Minister was not available in the meetings," he said.
      The 2005 MSCE examinations results, which saw a 50.51 per cent pass rate raised eyebrows following extremely impressive grades which saw thousands of students scoring between 6 and 20 points with 26 students getting 6 points each and 14 schools achieving a 100 per cent pass rate.
      Maneb Executive Director Mathews Matemba explained that there was no fixed pass rate because of the differences in the level of difficulty in all the 25 subjects administered.
      He said the pass rate is determined depending on how the students have performed per particular subject.
      Matemba parried the assertions that initially the pass rate for MSCE was 33.33 per cent saying there has never been such a thing.
      The Maneb boss also explained that he did not tell the committee that different schools are graded differently but said the differences in levels of standards plays a major role in the results saying there were some extremely good schools which come out with extremely well results while others are extremely poor in standards and have extremely poor standards.
      "There are these schools which are doing extremely well that are raising eyebrows but there is no discrimination, we grade them equally," he said.
      Matemba said with the rigorous process that the assessment goes through there was no way that the results could be tampered with.
      "During the award meetings we have our colleagues from examination councils from Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia so that the standards are not lowered. These people even say we are too hard on the candidates," he said.
      Matemba also said before the final results are presented to the main board they are first submitted to two technical committees on security and examinations.
      "With that rigorous process, to say that the results were tampered with I think it is an insult," he added.
      Minister of Education Kate Kainja and other top ministry officials could not be drawn to comment as they were reported to be in a meeting the whole of Wednesday.

      ACB doesn't favour govt*Kaliwo
      by Henry Chilobwe, 02 February 2006 - 07:01:01
      The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has denied allegations that it is being used by government to fight its political enemies especially top officials of the opposition United Democratic Front (UDF).
      ACB director Gustave Kaliwo told a news conference on Wednesday that it is very unfortunate that most of the people in opposition the bureau has investigated "cry innocent to the media" even if they know they indulged themselves in a corruption scandal during the time the UDF was in power.
      He said the bureau has prosecuted people in high government offices citing former Education Minister Yusuf Mwawa and former secretary to Treasury Milton Kutengule.
      "What other top official than leader of government business in Parliament could we investigate and take to court? What other top civil servant than the whole Secretary to Treasury did we not take to court? It is very unfair to say that we are being used by government to settle scores with its political enemies.
      "Corruption is a crime of opportunity and the people who were corrupt in the last ten years are the ones who were in the UDF because of their powerful positions. They could bribe or be bribed. In the same vein the people who can be corrupt today are the people in government because of their positions but we prosecute people equally without looking at their political affiliation," said Kaliwo.
      But Kaliwo said at the same news conference that he addressed in order to drum up support for the Anti-corruption day on Sunday that the bureau is faced with financial problems and is operating under a budget of K85 million that was approved by Parliament against the K250 million it requested from government.
      On the commemoration of the national Anti-Corruption day whose theme is "fight corruption, develop Malawi' Kaliwo said corruption and development are interrelated because no meaningful development would occur if corruption is rampant since vital resources are diverted to individuals or channelled to non-priority areas.
      President Bingu wa Mutharika is expected to grace the occasion that will take place on Sunday at Chichiri International Conference Centre.

      Albinos to have clinic
      by Bright Kumwenda, 02 February 2006 - 07:44:38
      College of Medicine Principal Professor Robert Broadhead said government plans to open an albino clinic at Queens Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) in Blantyre.
      Broadhead said the clinic would, among others, be distributing sunscreen lotion which protects the skin of albinos from being destroyed by the sun.
      "Albinism is a hereditary condition which occurs in people of all races due to lack of melanin, a pigment that gives the skin black colour," he told a news conference on Wednesday in Blantyre marking the Albino Awareness Week.
      Broadhead, who was the guest of honour at the function also graced by officials from the Ministry of Education, said the clinic would start as soon as a consignment of sunscreen lotion government ordered from the US arrives.
      QECH Dermatology Officer Levison Mwale said the clinic would also provide information to the public on albinism.
      "It will be helping parents and guardians with information on how to prevent albino children from developing skin cancer," said Mwale who will be in-charge of the clinic.
      Held under the theme 'Let's Know About Albinism', the awareness week started on Monday and ends this Sunday.
      The Albino Association of Malawi (Taam) chairperson Grace Massah said albinos face stigma and discrimination due to lack of information on their condition.
      "Some say albinism is contagious, others say we do not die we just disappear. And yet others say an HIV person can be cured once he sleeps with an albino woman. All these myths are false," said Massah, herself an albino.

      Drought forces Tanzania to ration electricity

      Nairobi, Kenya

      02 February 2006 09:32

      Tanzanian authorities on Thursday began rationing electricity because of water shortages at hydroelectric plants caused by a drought that has placed millions at risk of famine across East Africa.

      Minister of Energy and Minerals Ibrahim Msabaha said power will be cut during the day from 8am to about 5pm local time.

      "We are now forced to use water at [the main] Mtera Dam frugally until mid-March, when an additional 60-megawatt gas turbine will be installed at Ubungo power station in Dar es Salaam," he said by phone.

      The Tanzania Electric Supply Company (Tanesco) will provide power during the night.

      "It is important to have light at night to curb crime," he said.

      On Tuesday, President Jakaya Kikwete said most of the hydro power plants will be shut due to water shortages.

      "We are now approaching a point where we must shut down the hydropower generation plants," he said.

      Kikwete said the water level at Mtera Dam, which feeds the major hydroelectric plants in central Tanzania, is below the permitted power-generation level of 690m.

      "The government in January permitted Tanesco to continue with production until the level reached 687m," he said.

      "The level has since dropped to 687,59m, meaning we have only 59cm remaining, beyond which power production will have to stop. Under such circumstances, power rationing is now inevitable," he warned.

      He said the 447 megawatts currently produced by Tanesco's hydro and thermal stations and firms contracted by the state fall short of national demand, which is said to be double the amount being generated.

      Tanesco chief Adrian van der Merwe said power rationing will not affect institutions such as hospitals, key government facilities and strategic industries.

      Electricity has for the past five months been erratic in Tanzania's commercial capital, Dar es Salaam, for reasons including drought and a breakdown of facilities. Many traders and industrialists have been forced to resort to noisy and costly generators.

      Tanzania's total generation capacity is 953 megawatts, more than two-thirds of which is hydroelectric. -- Sapa-AFP
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)