for sake of argument

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
      I'm not saying that I agree with his arguments necessarily (in fact, my first instinct is to pick apart *anything* he says), but thought I'd pass along this Paul Theroux op-ed from the NY Times.
    • Holland, Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
        > Mr. Gates wants to send computers to Africa - an unproductive not to
        > say insane idea. I would offer pencils and paper, mops and brooms:
        > the schools I have seen in Malawi need them badly.

        As someone who spent two post-peace-corps years as a computer consultant on
        a wide variety of projects in Malawi, I can only hang my head and agree.
        With a few more filing cabinets, a few more reams of paper, and an overhaul
        of administrative procedures, the government staff I worked with could have
        handled the existing information flow in a few hours a day. The maintenance
        and supply problems are insurmountable without donor aid. And I wonder if
        people really understand the associated opportunity cost: when a computer
        is "given" to Africa it means that donor money goes to Microsoft, Intel,
        DHL, and a handful of local import agents.

        Mark

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2005
          Please recall that this man was workling for the opposition during Malawi's
          nascent years, and put not only himself, but other PCVs and the DC program
          in danger.

          Read "My Secret History" and get the real story....how he appreciated being
          a Mzungu so he could jump the line at the hospital to get his necessary
          penicillin shots...

          It was quite a task if any of you ever saw me that I was holding my contempt
          in check.....
        • Scott Geibel
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2005
            I can think of something more annoying than an Irish rock star in a cowboy
            hat pontificating about African aid: It's an elitist snob writer who thinks
            his inconsequential personal experiences in Africa intellectually trump the
            substantive material and moral contributions of others. List the African
            contributions/impact of the Writer on one side of a piece of paper, and then
            list the same for the Rock Star and the Billionaire Nerd on the other...
            there's no comparison.

            A short list of the Writer's contributions includes teaching a few classes
            and planting gonorrhea in teenage African girls. He can keep his pencils and
            paper; expecting Africa to independently catch up using his 40 year-old
            technologies? I dunno....

            We need to start thinking outside the box in improving education and access
            to information. Over the next 10 years, if they can keep the cost of these
            computers down as they say to $100 (mobile phones were more expensive), and
            if they aren't complete pieces of crap, Gates won't need to give them out...
            Africans will be buying them. It's a productive idea worth pursuing; no more
            insane than rural mobile phones and anti-retroviral therapy were 10 years
            ago.

            Scott