news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Dec 15, 2005
      Malawi acts against child brides

      The government of Malawi is considering raising the legal age of marriage in the country to 18 as a result of a growing number of cases of young girls being forced to marry much older men.
      The legal age of marriage in country is currently 15, but many man are illegally marrying girls as young as 11 or 12.

      As a result, the average age of marriage in Malawi is among the world's lowest, while the percentage of teenage mothers is among the world's highest.

      Maxwell Matewere, executive director of The Eye Of The Child organisation which fights for children's rights in Malawi, told BBC World Service's Outlook programme that the issue was forcing the country to question itself.

      "We strongly believe that the incidents of children being forced into marriage are growing by the day - but for people to report this is a taboo," he explained.

      "It brings shame to the community, so they prefer to keep the information within the communities.

      "This really does not help the process of protecting the children."

      Causes

      Last year, Malawi's government trained 230 volunteers in ways to protect children, and began efforts to more vigorously enforce the legal minimum age for marriage.

      Mr Matewere said that HIV and Aids in the country have greatly increased the number of orphans, as well as increasing the number of vulnerable children.

      Poverty is also a major factor, he said - something confirmed by one 12-year-old who has married a man aged 43.

      "My grandmother told me to get married because she couldn't help me with all her financial problems," the girl, who did not want to give her name, told Outlook.

      "MY husband helps me a lot - he's buying me clothes, food and anything else we need in our house. Of course I feel sorry for myself, because I know that I am so much younger than him.

      "But my family chose this husband for me, because we were having problems. I had no other option but to get married to him."

      Before the marriage, she would help the family on their farm and go to school, she said.

      But she no longer receives any education, despite a wish to go back to school.

      She also admitted she would like a husband younger than man she has at the moment.

      But her husband said that he did not view marrying her as a violation of the rights of children.

      "There is not a problem at all because her parents agreed to the marriage," he said.

      "We love each other, and wanted to get married. It is our wish."

      He added that in his view the problem was the financial situation in the country, which was "forcing young girls like her to marry older men like me.

      "I know that this is wrong, but because of the poverty here in this village, the parents can't afford to care for their daughter and support her needs.

      "I'm staying with her as a husband - but at the same time I'm looking after her as a parent... I want to keep on helping her, and in the future I want to open a big shop for her, just like my own."

      *****

      Chewa chief bashes own culture
      by Simon Mbvundula , 15 December 2005 - 06:57:42
      Senior Chief Khongoni of Lilongwe has strongly condemned some Chewa cultural rituals like kulowa kufa, chokolo and kuchotsa fumbi as being responsible for the spread of HIV and Aids.
      Kulowa kufa is sexual cleansing ritual where a widow is forced to have sex with a relative of the deceased husband, for example, allegedly to prevent further deaths in the family/village while Kuchotsa fumbi is a cultural practice where girls are forced to have sexual intercourse with men after initiation and chokolo involves a widow getting married to the deceased husband's brother and vice-versa.
      Khongoni warned in an interview after the launch of the National Programme and Plan of Action on Women, Girls and HIV/Aids that unless the said rituals are stopped the Malawi nation is doomed for extinction.
      "From now onwards, let us stop it if it happens in our villages because if the fisi is affected, it will also infect the girl child and what type of culture is that? We should make sure this is stopped forthwith otherwise the nation will perish," she said.
      Khongoni urged her fellow chiefs to be in the forefront of condemning such traditions saying although they are the custodians of culture, chiefs also have a duty to protect the vulnerable groups in their societies.
      "Some of these customs are as bad as selling our own people," she said.
      Khongoni also urged the gulewankulu cult to identify and send only good Aids messages during initiation ceremonies and asked the public to be open during funerals.
      Commenting on Khongoni's remarks, Secretary for Gender, Child Welfare and Community Services Andrina Mchiela said government has already started discussing with Mangochi chiefs on incest and hailed Khongoni's stand.
      "As government we need to take a dialogue stand and we have already started discussions with chiefs from Mangochi where fathers are marrying their daughters," said Mchiela.
      "What the senior chief [Khongoni] said is encouraging and we need to use her as our entry point. If only there were 20 of her type in the country, we would probably be winning the battle."
      The National Programme and Plan of Action on Women, Girls and HIV and Aids aims at prevention of HIV and Aids among girls and young women. The five-year programme budgeted at K4 billion also aims at promoting girl education.
      In 2003, HIV and Aids prevalence among young women aged between 15 and 24 years was 15 percent while that of young men of the same age group stood at seven percent.

      *****

      Gondwe, Kampanje differ on illegal account culprits
      by Tadala Makata Kakwesa, 15 December 2005 - 06:32:54
      Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe has said government will not probe and punish culprits in the 3,000 bank accounts that different ministries and departments irregularly opened with various commercial banks, a view contrary to Accountant-General Reckford Kampanje's.
      Gondwe said in an interview last Tuesday that his ministry has decided to concentrate on the central payment system instead of wasting time and resources on the investigations.
      He said government has finalised closing the accounts and that all financial transactions from ministries and departments will now be channelled through the centralised payment system.
      "We have to open a new chapter and start an efficient system that controls expenditure. I cannot be looking back and waste time on things that probably are dry and fruitless. I must look at the future," said Gondwe
      He added: "If we start doing the investigations on those accounts, it will take years; our job is to [rectify the problem]."
      In November this year, Secretary to Treasury Patrick Kabambe and Accountant-General Kampanje told Nation Business Review that they had uncovered close to 3,000 illegal government bank accounts.
      Kampanje said last month that he had instructed his officers to work with the Reserve Bank of Malawi (RBM) to investigate and identify those responsible so that action should be taken.
      He said the Public Finance Management Act does not allow any government official to open an account without the knowledge and signature of the Accountant General.
      "After the investigations have been done, whoever was involved in the opening of these accounts will be taken to task according to what the law says," said Kampanje.
      But in a follow-up interview on Monday this week, Kampanje said the decision to conduct the investigations or not will be determined in January.
      "What we have done is that we've sent a list of bank accounts which must be closed after reconciliation with the commercial banks. After the reconciliation, we'll ask the banks, through Reserve Bank, to give us a list of all those government accounts. When we get them and find out that there are some which are not on our list, we'll conduct the investigations," said Kampanje.
      Kampanje, however, said it was not all the 3000-plus accounts which are fraudulent, saying there are some which are bonafide and others which were opened without passing through his office.
      "We have established two task-forces that are looking into the issue [with] the one on reconciliation expected to report to me on Friday," said Kampanje
      While agreeing with Gondwe that time and resources will be wasted if the investigations were to be conducted, the top fiscal accountant said government has not decided on the course of action yet.
      Kabambe said in last month's interview that government had decided to close the accounts after realising that the accounts were a breeding ground for fraud.
      "We believe these accounts were a breeding ground for fraud where people took advantage to swindle government money. Therefore, we have decided to have only five bank accounts, and all transactions will be channelled through these accounts, issuing of cheques will be done by the Accountant-General," said Kabambe.
      The bank accounts to be opened are Current, Personal, Donor Financed, Public Debt and Advances accounts, according to Kabambe.
      He said Malawi Defense Force, Malawi Police Service and the State Residences will continue running their own bank accounts because they conduct sensitive businesses.

      *****

      Tanzania awaits outcome of poll

      Initial results in Tanzania's parliamentary and presidential elections are expected to be announced shortly following Wednesday's poll.
      Turnout was high and the only reports of violence came from Zanzibar, where opposition protesters were hurt in clashes with police.

      The governing Chama Cha Mapinduzi party is expected to retain its majority.

      The election had been delayed for several weeks following the death of a vice-presidential candidate.

      Campaigning ended on a dramatic note on Tuesday, when presidential frontrunner Jakaya Kikwete collapsed at a rally.

      The ruling party candidate later blamed his collapse on exhaustion. He is expected to win the vote and become the next president.

      Ten candidates are in the running to replace Benjamin Mkapa, who is standing down after serving the maximum two terms.

      The winner of the presidential vote will not be known for another three days, the National Election Commission said.

      Eighteen political parties are contesting parliamentary seats.

      'Well but tired'

      Long queues formed outside polling stations on Wednesday. Problems reported with names not appearing on registration lists, were not serious and primarily voters being impatient, an election commission official told the BBC.

      Earlier in the day, several opposition supporters in the semi-autonomous Zanzibar archipelago were injured in clashes with police.

      The activists claim police opened fire on them as they attempted to prevent bogus voters from casting their ballot.

      *****

      Poll violence erupts in Zanzibar

      Issa Maalim | Zanzibar, Tanzania

      15 December 2005 09:41

      At least nine people were wounded and dozens arrested on Wednesday as police battled opposition supporters on Tanzania's volatile Zanzibar archipelago during the country's national elections.

      One man was shot when security forces fired live rounds over the heads of demonstrators, another was stabbed and seven people, including an opposition candidate and a police officer, were beaten in melees across the main island in the semi-autonomous Indian Ocean territory, witnesses and officials said.

      Police opened fire and detained dozens in Bumbwini and Potoa constituencies -- about 35km north of Stone Town, the historic centre of Zanzibar city -- when opposition supporters tried to block people they claimed were bogus voters from casting ballots, they said.

      "Many illegal voters were brought in early in the morning, but when we protested, the police fired in the air," said a witness named Omar who identified himself as a supporter of the opposition Civic United Front (CUF).

      Six opposition backers, including candidate Rashid Sudi, were beaten by police and sustained injuries requiring urgent medical attention, witnesses and hospital sources said.

      In Stone Town itself, one person was stabbed in the stomach by supporters of the ruling Revolutionary Party (CCM) during a similar opposition protest over alleged bogus voters and polling irregularities, witnesses and medics said.

      Ramadhan Kinyogo, the head Zanzibar's Criminal Investigation Department, said one police officer had been wounded and one reported missing.

      "One of our officers has been beaten and one is missing," he said. "We are following up in all the incidents."

      Three more people sustained unspecified injuries in the Stone Town, bringing the toll of injured to 12, a police official added.

      The clashes were similar to those that erupted six weeks ago when Zanzibaris elected local officials six weeks ago and police used tear gas to break up opposition crowds protesting alleged irregularities, including bogus voters.

      The CUF maintains the CCM stole the Zanzibari elections through ballot fraud and has claimed the ruling party is using the same method to rig Wednesday's elections for the presidency and Parliament of the Union of Tanzania.

      Police, who were patrolling the Stone Town, barred journalists and observers from entering halls where ballots were being counted, telling they are not needed, according to an Agence France-Presse correspondent.

      The union was created in 1964 between mainland Tanganyika, as it was known then, and Zanzibar, which has been an opposition stronghold for years and the site of deadly political violence in the past.

      While the CCM narrowly won Zanzibar's October 30 polls, it is widely expected to cruise to victory in the national elections due to its large backing on the mainland. -- Sapa-AFP

      *****

      MDC members launch fresh bid against leader

      Harare, Zimbabwe

      15 December 2005 08:11

      Members of Zimbabwe's main opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said on Wednesday they will launch a fresh bid to win legal backing for their decision to suspend party leader Morgan Tsvangirai.

      High Court Judge Yunus Omerjee on Friday dismissed an application by MDC deputy secretary general Gift Chimanikire, who asked him to enforce a decision taken three weeks ago by a party disciplinary committee to suspend Tsvangirai.

      "We will appeal against the court ruling or resubmit the application," the MDC's vice-president, Gibson Sibanda, told journalists after a meeting of the party's national council.

      "The judge ruled on technical issues such as Mr Chimanikire's legal standing in the matter. He [Omerjee] did not look at the substance of the court application."

      The meeting scoffed at a suspension by a faction of six top party officials two weeks ago on charges of abandoning their official party while leading a clique opposed to Tsvangirai's leadership.

      "The entity that seeks to carry out the suspensions is unconstitutional," Sibanda said of the committee that suspended him and five other party officials, including secretary general Welshman Ncube and treasurer Fletcher Dulini Ncube. "The said officers should not cooperate with or appear before the bogus disciplinary committee."

      Sibanda accused Tsvangirai of hiring thugs to bar members of his faction from entering the party's headquarters in Harare.

      Once a major political force challenging President Robert Mugabe's grip on power, the MDC has been bogged down in infighting over Tsvangirai's decision to call a boycott of the November 26 Senate elections.

      Tsvangirai maintained that the elections were a waste of money at a time when the country was facing severe food shortages, but his opponents within the MDC contended that voters should be given a choice at the ballot box.

      Tsvangirai had dismissed the suspension as unlawful and defied the committee's ban on holding rallies, making public statements, visiting party offices or using party property.

      Mugabe's Zanu-PF won 43 of the 50 contested Senate seats, while the MDC picked up seven seats in the elections that were marred by poor turnout. -- Sapa-AFP

      *****

      Unionist loses Zimbabwe passport

      Zimbabwe has confiscated the passport of trade unionist Raymond Majongwe, shortly after returning the confiscated passports of two government critics.
      Opposition official Paul Themba Nyathi and newspaper owner Trevor Ncube got their passports back after starting legal action against the government.

      Mr Ncube has meanwhile published a list of 17 people whose passports the government has cancelled.

      Earlier this year parliament approved a law allowing the seizure of passports.

      Mr Majongwe, secretary general of the Progressive Teachers' Union of Zimbabwe, had his passport seized on Wednesday afternoon as he returned from a trip to Nigeria.

      Invalidated

      According to the list published by Mr Ncube's South African Mail & Guardian newspaper on Thursday, Catholic Archbishop Pius Ncube, and Movement for Democratic Change leader Morgan Tsvangirai are among those whose passports have been invalidated by the Zimbabwe government.

      Human rights lawyer Beatrice Mtetwa, MDC secretary general Welshman Ncube, and prominent businessman Strive Masiyiwa are also on the list.

      Mr Masiyiwa took the government to court to get a licence to set up a mobile phone network. He is now based in South Africa.

      Mr Themba Nyathi and Trevor Ncube were both told by officials last week they were on a list of 64 people whose passports the government intended to seize.

      On Wednesday both men were told they could collect their passports from the department of immigration in Harare, before their legal action against the government had gone to court.

      But Mr Themba Nyathi said he felt it would just be a matter of time before his documents were seized once more.

      "This is a question of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing... But they will find another way before too long."

      *****

      Mugabe speaks -- on CD and cassette

      Harare, Zimbabwe

      15 December 2005 10:37

      He may be revered by some and reviled by others, but Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe's skills as an orator are rarely in doubt, prompting a local record company to put his speeches on tape for "good home entertainment", a newspaper reported on Thursday.

      The compilation is entitled Mugabe Speaks and is to be released by recording firm Gramma Records, the state-controlled Herald said.

      Minister of Policy Implementation Webster Shamu said the recordings "would not only provide good home entertainment but would be useful to scholars", the paper reported.

      Some of the speeches date back to the late 1970s, when Mugabe and other key nationalists were waging a guerrilla war against the former white minority government of then Rhodesia.

      Shamu said the record "will assist our children and will also educate people on where we came from and where we are going".

      The authorities have complained in the past that some Zimbabweans -- especially those critical of the government -- are not patriotic enough.

      The Herald did not say how much the compilation -- available on CD and cassette -- will cost.

      However, many Zimbabweans are struggling to afford even the most basic necessities, with prices going up every few days. Bread has nearly doubled in price in shops this week: from Z$29 000 (R2,42) to about Z$50 000 (R4,20). -- Sapa-DPA

      *****

      Microsoft Swahili speakers launch

      Microsoft has launched its software in Swahili targeting more than 110 million speakers of the language.
      The Swahili Windows and Office programmes are a product of two years of work by language experts from East and Central Africa.

      They had to work on the standardisation of the language which is spoken in different dialects across the region.

      The software giant says this software is intended to bridge a digital divide between developed and emerging markets.

      Language experts from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar as well as the Great Lakes and the Democratic Republic of Congo had to come up with a common glossary.

      Some 650,000 words have already been translated for the Windows and Office programmes, while another 70,000 words have been translated for the help menus.

      There are more than 100 million Swahili-speakers in the region - in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and parts of the Horn of Africa, Great Lakes, Malawi, Mozambique and the Indian Ocean islands.

      The company argues that in a region with few computer users and high illiteracy rates, the Swahili version of Windows will inspire East African governments to expand their IT economies, encourage literacy campaigns and attract more computer users.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****