Fw: ACTION ALERT: Oppose Torture, Support the McCain A mendment!

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      ACTION ALERT: Oppose Torture, Support the McCain Amendment!

      Some of you may have received this League of Women Voters action alert, too.  Of course, others of you have noticed that this is an issue of concern to me, so I thought I'd pass it on in case you might consider writing or calling.

      Here's the LWVUS sample letter from their website  http://takeaction.lwv.org/lwv/issues/alert/?alertid=8299196

      Cathy
      ________

      I urge you to insist that the McCain anti-torture amendment remain intact in the final version of the DOD Appropriations bill.

      I strongly oppose the use of torture and cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment of detainees.  I am deeply concerned about reports of abuses of military prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan, mistreatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison, and interrogation methods used on prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and in purported CIA installations throughout Europe.

      The United States must recommit itself to following human rights standards in order to regain standing in international relations and to ensure that our nation remains true to the underlying values of our democratic system.

      Make the McCain amendment to the Department of Defense Appropriations bill the law and make it clear that the United States does not condone torture.

      Thank you for listening to a constituent. I look forward to reading your reply.

      _______