Re: [ujeni] Lake Malawi Temperature

  • Jesse Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
      Hi Cathy,

      Well, I was attracted to that article because it is recent (2005), and
      deals with Malawi. I have fun thinking about a bunch of geophysicists
      trying to acquire a lake core in Malawi.

      Then I started thinking about the data. It shows huge changes in
      temperature. I don't think one can say, oh, it's hot, that means
      drought, or vice versa. But what you can say (I think) is that there are
      giant swings on a scale of thousands of years. If anything, lakes have
      a calming effect on big swings (all that water doesn't like to change
      its temperature), away from the lake it was likely even worse.

      Thousands of years, thats the kind of time one needs to do things like;
      domesticate a chicken, selectively breed crops to get higher yields,
      find ways to store harvests, or just identify good species to focus on.
      Well, about the time you start to make headway on any of that, you are
      suddenly living in another world, climate wise.

      And what you really need, if your going to develop science, religion,
      arts, and culture, government and law, what you really need, is
      agricultural stability.

      This graph shows that (probably) Southern Africa never got that.

      And maybe (maybe) that is part of why Africa is the way it is.

      Maybe. It's a question I can't stop thinking about.

      Good to hear from you. Attached is a photo of the boys. They are about
      to participate in this great Montana tradition, hunting. Just driving
      around really, looking out of a truck for elk. This is part of how we
      get on with the neighbors. But they do love to get dressed up.

      Jesse
    • Daniel Dudley
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
        God, Jessie, the kids look GREAT!!! Nice article that you sent around, and
        thoughts here, interesting to think about. Can you send me a link where I
        can get some information on that science thing that you did last year, I
        have a student that may be interested!!!

        Dan