    Message 1 of 1046 , Nov 10, 2005
      Mwawa implicates Bingu, cabinet
      by Zainah Liwanda, 10 November 2005 - 06:06:06
      Former Education Minister Yusuf Mwawa has said President Bingu wa Mutharika had full knowledge of the Education Special Client Account which was used by government to bribe MPs to support it in Parliament.
      Mwawa, who was testifying at the Lilongwe Magistrate's Court Wednesday on four charges levelled against him by the Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB), said money from the account was used under the guise of pre-consultative meetings on a National Education Conference.
      Mwawa, who was entering his defence as first witness, told Lilongwe Senior Resident Magistrate Mzondi Mvula that Mutharika directed that a task force be formed whose objectives was to woo MPs to support government considering that most of them had moved to the opposition following the President's resignation from the UDF which sponsored him.
      Looking composed, Mwawa went on to narrate that the task force included Foreign Affairs Minister Davis Katsonga, Attorney General Ralph Kasambara, Home Affairs Minister Anna Kachikho, Health Minister Hetherwick Ntaba, Agriculture Minister Uladi Mussa, Frank Mwenefumbo, Deputy Agriculture Minister Henry Mumba, MP for Nsanje Lalanje Steve Malamba, MP for Ndirande Malabada (RP) Aaron Sangala (RP), Mzuzu City MP Good Kayira (RP) and Abi Shaba, MP for Mzimba East.
      Mwawa further revealed that before the task force would meet, himself and Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe met Mutharika on how the task force would operate and that the President suggested that Mwawa, as leader of government business in the House, takes the matter to Cabinet. Mwawa said during a Cabinet meeting on February 1, 2005 it was decided that Gondwe should be included as an ex officio and that it must be funded.
      "The amount of money that was transferred to the account by my then Principal Secretary Simeon Hau was K5 million and I was told that since this money was not voted [for] by the National Assembly, and that because of the secrecy and nature of work, the money could not be deposited in any other vote of the Ministry of Education. I was advised by the PS that the ministry had a Special Client Account which was dormant and that those moneys were deposited there," said Mwawa.
      Mwawa, who insisted he only knew about the account from Hau, told the court that the PS told him that the signatories to the account were a Mr. Kachingwe, chief accountant; principal accountant Mandale, his special assistant Ken Ntonga, and that he never authorised payment of the K160,550, which he is alleged to have used to finance his wedding reception in March this year at Mount Soche Hotel in Blantyre.
      According to Mwawa, the task force held its first meeting at the Ministry of Education where MPs were paid K15,000 each and that Gondwe attended, with Mwawa as convenor.
      Mwawa, who spoke for about four hours, went on to explain that when the media reported that Gondwe was spotted at the Ministry of Education bribing MPs, the development did not go down well with government, and knowing that the moneys were "illegal", above all not substantiated with documents from Treasury, the task force met to find way forward.
      "Noting the embarrassment from government, the task force brain-stormed and decided collectively that all meetings from that time should not be termed caucuses of Parliament but be called pre-consultative meetings on the National Education Conference. Because of that cover up, we were able to conduct meetings at Mzuzu Hotel without sometimes knowledge of the hotel management," said Mwawa.
      Mwawa further told the court that Hau and his assistant Ntonga lied to the court that he did not know about the account, saying they intended to embarrass him, adding that Hau knew all the transactions, including the K160,550 that was paid to Mount Soche Hotel.
      Mwawa tendered as evidence a letter purportedly from Chief Secretary for the Public Service Charles Matabwa, saying that they had verified that indeed the money was paid to Mount Soche for the 'bogus' consultative meeting which was slated for March 26 2005 and that Matabwa scribbled some comment saying they should wait for Mwawa who was then abroad to explain since the media are found of publishing bogus articles.
      Mwawa went on to narrate that when it was apparent that the ACB was investigating the matter, he spoke to Mutharika, explaining that it was not true that he used public funds. He said he warned the President considering the secrecy and clandestine nature of the Special Client Account which he was alleged to have drawn money from, explaining to him the implications of discussing the account in public, knowing what repercussion the revelations would have on him personally as Head of State.
      Mwawa further told the court that Mutharika advised him to write a memo, which he did and the President assured him that he would talk to the ACB to see what to do. Mwawa added the President said he would relieve him of his duties as minister because of the way the matter was being reported in the media.
      Mwawa said that Mutharika however assured him that he would still attend government meetings though not minister, testifying to court that it was on that promise that he was still attending government meetings even after being dropped.
      Mwawa then maintained that he paid K170,000 to the hotel for his wedding reception and not K160 550 as reported, challenging that the said amount was still with Mount Soche Hotel.
      He said all his wedding transactions were done by his brother Felix Mwawa, denying earlier testimonies by state witnesses that he, among other things, asked for quotations and instructed payment of his wedding using the Special Client Account.
      Mwawa said the caution statement from the ACB investigation officers had errors.
      "I am convinced your worship that I am not a thief as the charges are saying that I stole a cheque from the Ministry of Education to pay for my wedding. As leader of government business, I was mandated by government to oversee that account just like how I was overseeing the K3 billion at the Ministry of Education.
      "I want to state that the charges...being levelled against [me] of abuse of office were not made in good faith. There was a lot of politics that ensued, there was subjectivity in the counts, there was a rush to prosecute," said Mwawa.
      During cross examination in the afternoon, ACB Director Gustave Kaliwo asked Mwawa why he had two different signatures one on the cheque he purportedly paid for his wedding using his National Bank account and the memorandum to the President.
      Mwawa said for secrecy of his private accounts he had to have a different signature from official documents.
      Kaliwo asked the court to allow him play a recorded interview Mwawa had with the investigators, which his lawyer Gift Nankhuni objected to, saying the state had closed their witness and it was not in order to bring fresh evidence.
      The magistrate then adjourned the case to next Wednesday when both parties will make submissions before winding up cross examination of Mwawa and proceeding to the next witness.

      EU gives Malawi K750m
      by Olivia Kumwenda, 10 November 2005 - 07:03:06
      The European Union (EU) has provided a further 5 million pounds to Malawi for emergency humanitarian aid to help tackle the current food crisis which is now affecting about five million people.
      EU said in a press release Wednesday the assistance was a demonstration of its multilayered approach which aims at supporting good and sustainable policies as well as immediate relief.
      "This additional funding comes on top of, and will be complementary to, substantial EC contributions for food security interventions in Malawi of K2.6 billion of which K2.5 billion has been allocated for food aid and the remainder for safety net programmes," reads part of the statement.
      The statement said to date donors and the Government of Malawi have mobilised about 214,000 metric tonnes of maize and 18,000 metric tonnes of pulses (peas and beans).
      The EU said it will continue to work with Malawi in closely monitoring the situation as it evolves to respond accordingly.
      EU has provided its assistance through its humanitarian aid department, DG-ECHO, which comes under the responsibility of Commissioner Louis Michel.
      The funds are being channelled through NGOs and UN agencies and will cover a series of interventions such as nutrition, emergency water and sanitation, the provision of emergency agricultural inputs and logistics.
      This year, Malawi has experienced the lowest crop production of the past seven years forcing President Bingu wa Mutharika to declare a state of national disaster last month for more donors to assist.

      Mzuzu congregation set for Saturday
      by Francis Tayanjah-Phiri, 10 November 2005 - 06:56:10
      Mzuzu University will this Saturday confer degrees to 150 graduating students during the institution's first congregation for this year.
      Mzuzu University Vice Chancellor Professor Peter Mwanza said in an interview that Chancellor of the University Bingu wa Mutharika would confer the degrees.
      Mwanza said Mutharika would confer the 150 students with Bachelors degrees in Education, Forestry and Library & Information Science, respectively.
      "It gives us great pleasure each time our students are conferred with the degrees as it makes us proud that we have not sweated in vain. The crop of students we produce here is of high standard, and we are fast establishing our name in the global university fraternity," said Mwanza.
      Mzuzu University was established by an Act of Parliament in 1997, and has to date produced 326 graduates. The university has also increased enrolment from the initial 90 in 1999 to the present 650.

      Ntonjani selling next to central hospital
      by Emmanuel Muwamba, 10 November 2005 - 06:53:34
      Locally brewed opaque beer popularly known as Ntonjani is being sold at Ginnery Corner next to Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre, something the City Assembly says poses danger to life.
      One of the people selling the beer said he had chosen the place because it is where he can generate more income than his place in Ndirande.
      "I erected this shelter over the weekend and business is going on very well unlike in Ndirande. In Ndirande there were quite a number of us and you cannot make enough profits in such environments," said the seller who refused to give his name.
      Asked if he did not fear the law which forbids the sale of beer in such places, the seller said: "If it was wrong to sell beer around this place then others that I have found at the entrance of the hospital doing the same business would have closed long time ago."
      But Blantyre City Assembly Director of Health Services Leicester Bandawe Wednesday said the assembly is aware of sale of Ntonjani next to the hospital, and they will stop the practice.
      Bandawe said: "We are aware of the sale of these beers and other alcoholic drinks in these areas and we are making progress to remove them before the end of this month."
      He said the danger of selling such beverages along the streets is that drunkards may be hit by motorists.
      "But the other serious danger is that patients who stay in hospitals may sneak out to drink this beer which may be dangerous to their health," said Bandawe.
      He also said the assembly is aware of the sale of alcoholic beverages in other places in Blantyre such as Wenela Bus Terminal and opposite Nando's in the city centre where minibuses park.
      He said the assembly has already issued notices of eviction to those involved in the practice, giving them a deadline of November 21.
      The director explained that the issuing of notices is in line with the Local Government Act.
      The proliferation of alcoholic beverages on the streets of Blantyre City is also a concern to Minibus Owners Association (MOA) who asked the Police and the Road Traffic Directorate to consider banning the sale at bus terminals.
      During a stakeholders meeting discussing ways of checking minibus accidents on Monday, MOA Vice President Mike Kumilamba asked government to ban alcohol vending from bus terminals, saying some drivers are tempted to drink it.
      Police Regional Traffic Officer for the South Andrew Soko said they will ask Blantyre City Assembly to act on the concern.

      Farmers refuse to repay treadle pump loans
      by George Ntonya, 10 November 2005 - 06:17:11
      Government is likely to lose millions of kwacha because some smallholder farmers who received treadle pump on loans are refusing to pay back, officials from the Department of Irrigation have said.
      Thousands of treadle pumps were distributed to help smallholders farmers go into winter cropping as one way of addressing food insecurity at household level.
      The beneficiaries were supposed to each pay a total of K9,000 over three years, but most of them are now refusing to repay allegedly because of President Bingu wa Mutharika's order that each Member of Parliament should receive 400 treadle pumps for free distribution.
      The Nkhotakota Rural Development Programme (RDP), which falls under the Salima Agricultural Development Division (ADD), distributed treadle pumps worth K18 million but has only managed to recover 1.7 percent, according to Assistant District Irrigation Officer Brino Mpatuleni White.
      "People are refusing to pay. They are arguing that they cannot pay when their colleagues are receiving free treadle pumps," said White in an interview at his office Monday. "I don't think we'll be able to recover the money."
      He said some beneficiaries of the scheme sold their pumps while others are not using them because they are not fit enough to pump water.
      "We have a good number of pumps that have not been installed. Of course, there are others who are unable to use them because the pumps lack some accessories," White explained.
      Randon checks in other ADDs indicated that similar setbacks exist.
      "People stopped paying for the treadle pumps when it was announced that the government was going to distribute free ones," said Acting District Irrigation Officer for Kasungu Herman Ngozo in an interview Tuesday.
      He said that his office stopped pursuing the loans until government auditors advised them to enforce the contract agreement.
      "The auditors have told us that every person who received the pumps on loan has to repay the loan," he said.
      According to Shire Valley ADD Irrigation Officer Benson Sumani, smallholder farmers there received treadle pumps worth K42.6 million, but only K80,750.00 has been recovered.
      He said that while some beneficiaries are reluctant to pay because of the presidential order that people receive free treadle pumps, others claim to be unable to pay because of the hunger situation.
      "That's the setback we have here. We cannot force people to pay when we know they are struggling to find food," Sumani said.
      A total of 1,727 treadle pumps have so far been distributed in the Shire Valley for free under the presidential directive, said Sumani.

      'We can kill, or save, the Earth'

      Fiona Macleod

      09 November 2005 09:11

      Mirriam Namushi is a recent graduate of the Southern African Wildlife College in Limpopo. (Photograph: Fiona Macleod)
      Mirriam Namushi comes from a dirt-poor family in rural Zambia kept alive by women. She knows the meaning of relying on natural resources for survival.

      How, at the age of 38 and with four young children of her own, did she come to be a prosecutor of environmental crimes and the abuse of natural resources? Namushi was one of 42 students who graduated recently after spending a year honing their skills at the Southern African Wildlife College in Limpopo.

      "As a woman, I am fighting to keep the wild animals for future generations. People say environmental crimes are not like stealing or murdering, but I am trying to show them the environment matters," she told the Mail & Guardian.

      Namushi prosecutes between 12 and 15 cases a month in western Zambia. Offenders found with "proscribed trophies" such as ivory or a lion skin can receive jail sentences of five years or more.

      A big part of her job is getting community buy-in for conservation. Some weeks she joins her investigators on anti-poaching operations in the bush, where they rely on intelligence from rural communities.

      Like the eight other women who graduated with her, Namushi believes getting more women involved in environmental matters is imperative for the future of the planet.

      "Women will make things work well and there will be less corruption," she said. "As mothers, they have a feeling for nature and they want their children to see lions for real, not just in the movies."

      The Zambia Wildlife Authority nominated Namushi for training at the college, which borders the northern Kruger National Park. She won a bursary from the Southern African Conservation Education Trust to do a diploma this year.

      Most of the graduates, like Namushi, were separated from their children for a year to study. Few of their families, based in seven Southern and East African countries, could afford to attend the ceremony last Thursday.

      Iracema Maiopue, from Maputo, was fortunate to have not only her three-year-old daughter and her husband present, but also her bosses from Mozambique's ministry of tourism. Maiopue (27) has a degree in forestry engineering from the University of Mondlane, and after getting her college diploma plans to join the ministry's directorate of conservation.

      "Animals have to be respected; we have to provide the right environment for them to grow and develop," she said. "Women are good in this role because they are sensitive."

      Her mentor is the deputy director of conservation areas, Isabel Macie, one of a growing number of women leading the reconstruction of environment and tourism in post-civil war Mozambique.

      Delivering the keynote address at the ceremony, Macie said the world faced mass species extinction because of human beings. "As the population grows, the situation will get more serious. We've seen human populations grow from 2,5-billion to 5,7-billion in just 20 years.

      "We can have a disastrous impact on the planet -- but we also have the ability to save other species. This is our challenge."

      Since opening its doors in 1997, the wildlife college has trained more than 2 000 students from 20 African countries, mostly in the Southern African Development Community, in everything from computer skills and communication strategies to overhauling a 4X4 and dissecting an impala.

      Maisa Chulu, a 26-year-old ranger from the Lake Malawi National Park, became interested in conservation when she joined an environmental club at school. Her family and friends expected her to become a nursery school teacher or secretary.

      "I had this concept that if we destroy the animals and trees, we destroy the key to life. We had better use them wisely so others can use them too."

      Chulu joined Malawi National Parks after school and was in charge of environmental education and community involvement at Lake Malawi before starting her diploma at the college. Her husband is the park's assistant manager, and their son will be two when she gets home.

      With her new skills, she will be promoted to assistant parks and wildlife officer for national parks. One of few, and sometimes the only woman during her training, she is determined to make a difference in her drought-ravaged country.

      "Conservation is becoming more important [in Malawi] because there are more people, and they rely more and more on our natural resources," she said.

      The promise of peace parks
      "Elephants need big home ranges," says Stephen Malungo. "The moment you put up fences, you restrict their natural movements and this affects the entire ecosystem. Transfrontier conservation offers a way of cooperating by extending areas for animals -- with benefits for people."

      For Malungo, an operations ranger in Zambia's Lower Zambezi National Park, cross-border conservation areas -- or "peace parks" -- hold promise for Africa's reserves. The Lower Zambezi is part of an initiative involving Zambia and Zimbabwe.

      Malungo (38) acquired his diploma in natural resource management at the Southern African Wildlife College with flying colours last week. He received two awards as best student, after spending the year as student representative council president.

      Managed by the Peace Parks Foundation, one of the college's main focus areas is the training of staff working in transfrontier conservation. The foundation is helping set up at least 14 peace parks in the Southern African Development Community region, and wants many to be sustainable by 2010.

      The peace parks are massive undertakings, involving buy-in from governments and communities and cooperation among bureaucracies. Five countries are involved in setting up the Kavango-Zambezi peace park.

      Malungo said the diverse views of his fellow students were a key element of his course at the wildlife college. "These are the networks that will drive and shape the future of conservation in Africa," he said. -- Fiona Macleod
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)