There's nuclear reactor fuel in them thar hills...

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      More on that uranium mine....

      Rights body queries govt on uranium deposits

      The Nation
      by Phaless Chisenga, 01 November 2005 - 05:10:55

      Centre for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR) on Friday accused government
      of allegedly denying people of Karonga access to public
      information on Kayelekera uranium mining project which it is venturing into.
      CHRR acting Executive Director Undule Mwakasungula said during an information
      forum in Karonga that communities within the precincts of the proposed area
      of operation had little to no information on the project.

      ?In as much as we know that uranium mining is going to bring positive to
      change to our economy, we are questioning the whole process. We feel key
      stakeholders in Karonga have not been informed and consulted,? said Mwakasungula.

      He said besides denying the people the right to information, CHRR wanted
      government to look at the cost benefit of the whole mining project.
      ?If you look at the project, the life span is 10-12 years according to the
      estimates of the company licenced to do the mining but the effects and
      consequences are going to be there for more than 100 years to come. So the
      question should be, is it worthy going ahead with the project?? questions
      Mwakasungula.

      Village Headman Kayelekera confirmed in interview that people in his area
      did not have any information on the planned mining of uranium deposits in
      his land.
      The two questions CHRR wanted government to answer were: when the environment
      impact assessment was done and by which organisation and also why the report
      has not been made public.

      Mines, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Minister Henry Chimunthu
      Banda said he did not know the report CHRR was looking for because the environmental
      impact assessment was not yet through.