Re: [ujeni] Rita Recovery

  • Mickie Merrifield
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hey! I'm so happy to here from you! I tried a couple of times to e-mail you while you were still in Texas, but they came back marked as "undeliverable"??? One of them took almost a week to return to me. I hope you get this note. I've been thinking of you. It sounds as if your new school got pretty wiped out. Geezo. I wish I could just pack up and help you clear debris, but Aunt Eleanor's back kind of went out and she's become way more dependant on me. I finished school last Thursday and am actually at my sister's house in Tahoe. Months ago I had promised to babysit for her while she and Garnet went to his college reunion at Oregon State, so I kind of had to leave AE. My mom has been paying extra close attention to her, and I asked the neighbors to get the mail and papers up to her door. When I get home on Thursday I'll see how she managed and then be able to map out any trips this vacation. I just have a feeling that I won't be going anywhere for any extended period of time. But I would LOVE to come out to your place and do some manual labor. I'd love to pick up a chainsaw! It probably won't happen though. I'll keep you posted. I'm sorry about the damage to your homes. I hope you can salvage the materials from the original barn and use it somehow, someway. You know...this tool shed was made out of the wood from the old homestead! Tahoe is beautiful, as usual, and being here reminds me of the time we spent up here with Stephanie and that will always be the case from now on...so isn't that cool?! I've been so busy with school that I haven't talked to her in about a month, but I'll give her a call soon. Her baby's due right after Christmas and I hope somehow I can see her for a day or two before then. It's a six hour drive to her house, which is a coach trip from Mzuzu to Lilongwe so I don't know why I shouldnt be able to catch her some weekend. A weekend is much more doable for AE than a week. We'll see. Anyhow, it was great to hear from you and catch your positive attitude. If there's anything I CAN do, I will. Just ask. I'll get back to you sooner rather than later! Love, Mickie

      Kristi Henderson <njinga_k@...> wrote:
      Today is the first day the faculty and staff has returned to work at school - with the exception of coaches - we have been back since Oct. 11 - but that was just for practices and games - not full-fledged school days.  Our students return tomorrow.  I am looking forward to getting back to somewhat normal around here.  It will still be quite awhile before we are fully back on track - our gyms, our cafeteria, our library, teachers' workroom - all of those are still under major repair and inaccessable right now.  We are hopring that after our return from Christmas holidays everything will be back to the way it should be.

      There is still so much cleanup to do around my house as well - lots and lots and lots of trees down.  The first two weeks back I spent most of my time helping out around my mom and dad's place, then started concentrating on mine.  I am sick of chainsaws!  Thankfully my damage was minimal - chimney knocked off, buckled shingles, but none blown off, a few dents in the siding on one side of the house, and a destroyed metal shed.  My parents sustained much greater damage - the metal roof came off two sides of the house, but the original composition roof was in place under it - so no damage to the inside, the last remaining building from my great grandparents original homestead - a wood barn - is now in a heap, three quarters of the metal was lost off the horse barn - horses are fine, the garage they had built one week before the storm hit has minor damage, and the trailer my grandmother was living in was destroyed - roof taken off and back wall pushed in.  My mom had a fine greenhouse - parts of it ended up in my dog kennel - which means the debris had to fly about 250 yards, over my house, and then fall into the kennel.  Crazy.

      It is hard to describe what it is like around here - everywhere I go I just keep seeing the same thing - piles and piles and piles and more piles of debris. And blue tarps on roofs.  Everywhere.
      I spent 10 days at my house with no electricity - I had a generator I ran at night.  I took a few baths Malawian style - heated water over a fire and converted my dog kennel into a bath house!  Amazing what you can do with a couple of tarps and bungee cords.

      So...if anyone needs any firewood for the winter, I know where you can get all you want - cheap!

      Take care,
      Kristi

    • Mickie Merrifield